don't click here

Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Shadix

Shadix

Oldbie
    THIS! Especially Act 2 on both stages. Granted I'm also playing on an Android but getting under 3 minutes in Metallic Madness Act 2 has been the bane of my existance with that game.

2. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    I think you made a mistake with the Japanese Palmtree Panic Good Future because it doesn't loop.

3. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I did. Swapped the flag name and the sample number, because I was working too fast. Here's a fixed version. And for good measure, here's the entire zip again with the song fixed.

4. corneliab

corneliab

Playing time attack has made me realize that Metallic Madness 2 can actually be a 30 second stage.

And that's hilarious.

5. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Wha...

But...

How?

6. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    You can go above the stage if you jump just right.

7. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    I think I know which spot you're talking about, but when I jump up onto that first block at the top of the stage, there seems to be some kind of partial invisible wall that stops me from getting anywhere near the distance I need to jump to the second bit.

8. corneliab

corneliab

Man, you don't even need to use that first block. If you rev up a peelout on the slope that precedes the room with the background/foreground swap cylinder thing, you can get enough height to your jump to reach the top of it that way. After jumping the gap at the end, you can use the rising pistons that shoot you way up to hurl yourself above the room with the signpost. You just have to charge a peelout on top of one and release at just the right time.

9. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Holy shit, it works. That's pretty awesome, though tricky to execute.

10. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Alright, so, I got to know how exactly to work with looping ogg's and such. It's one thing I've wanted to learn but never really could get around to doing. Since it might be too much of a derailment, don't mind firing any helpful pointers to Ye Olde PM Box. :v:

11. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Was playing the ap and then saw the soundtrack selection.
    [​IMG]
    This made the purchase worth it. Also the fixed looping makes me SO HAPPY!

Will probably get it for steam too. By the way, I've been playing with Japanese soundtrack, and cant believe people like it better, though I rather wish Sega's legal had the sense to get the licensing for the original You Can Do Anything. It was rather painful hearing the more synthesized version against it. (Which, it had Sonic Boom in tact, so I'm good.)

Tails in there is fun, but the sprites still look awfully out of place, especially his profile on the signpost at the end, as this is where the dark colors clash the most with the warmer colors used in this game. Now that mentioning this this is out of my system, because I know no one else is as immensely bothered by it, the inclusion is still fun, and the sprites used for his special stage actually relatively decent. Still kinda wish a character more native to Sonic CD was used. Also, Rather liked the Sonic CD spindash, better than the Sonic 2 spindash, but that is just being really picky like the shoes are all wrong people.

Beyond that, the physics feel a little different than I remember at places, which isn't as noticeable, but it does feel harder to time travel than I remember (then again, I may just suck at mobile.)

All minor gripes aside, I'm quite happy to have this enhanced port. Taxman did a good job on it, and I am happy to play it. Even convinced my GF to buy the PSN version through my ranting over how much I love Sonic CD over other Sonic games that have been released. =3

12. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    @Aesculapius Piranha: I'm pretty sure this has been said but the time to warp was extended in the PC version on, so it's just a carry over. Although I totally agree that it should be reduced to MegaCD length.

Edit: Is there a chance we'll ever see sales data on this? The buzz around the net has been phenomenal for such an underdog of the series, and I'm very curious how well it is performing.

13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I thought it was MEGA CD that was longer and PC onwards that was shorter. Since this was supposed to emulate the MEGA CD as close as possible yet has longer time travel times.

14. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    This would make more sense, because the PC version is the one I am used to. That said I am also finding areas used to time travel not working the same way as before (such as the grabby machines in metallic madness, before you would keep your ummm what would you call that thing? Time charge? Anyway you would keep the travel status as you were being bounced between those things. That is why they are there. They are like a creative way of having two springboards facing eachother. Also finding it less forgiving of stops in forward momentum all around, even if you have some sort of vertical momentum (like in wacky workbench there is an area where one spring board, bounces to another horizontal one, over to a lower vertical one, and if I recall correctly you would be able to simply bounce up from the last one after hitting the wall, the downward momentum would allow you to keep charged, but in this one it goes away as soon as you hit the wall despite still moving quickly downward.

EDIT: Oh my bad! Just noticed the option to use the original spindash.

[​IMG]

15. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    I swear I read it somewhere...

This post is relevant however: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=27351&view=findpost&p=649681

16. This thread's title is "Sonic CD is still not out on Steam" but I missed the part where it was ever announced for Steam in the first place. (I'm not saying it wasn't, just that I haven't seen it)

Anyone got a link or something?

17. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    http://blogs.sega.com/2011/11/01/sonic-cd-spins-onto-tablets-at-gamestop/#more-10916

They never specifically mention Steam, but seeing as they regularly release games for it, you couldn't rule it out.

18. TheLoz

TheLoz

UK
    Learning
    It was mentioned several times, including here - Sonic 4 forums

Also, on the official site - http://www.sega.co.uk/games/sonic-cd-2011/ - they claim it's already out for PC. DAMN IT SEGA.

Edit: On the official site linked above, they specificially mention Steam achievements if you scroll down the main info box.

19. FuzzballFox

FuzzballFox

Hmmmmm Member
    UK - Hampshire
    Nothing anymore
    Okay so...got my new PC sorted, Itunes, blah blah.
    Now forgive me for asking but are there MP3 rips of the NEW Japanese soundtrack, so the better quality and the new looping?

Asking here because I really don't want to trudge through a tone of pages when it would be easier for someone else who knows/provided rips can help!

20. H Hog

H Hog

The Ultimate Oswald! Oldbie
    Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    Sonic and the Rings of Order (Artwork)
    "All digital platforms"

It amuses me how none of Nintendo's "(System-name)Ware" services count as a digital platform :v: