don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    That would require far too much work with no Havok physics files for the geometry I think. What I'm anxiously waiting is to see if the Unleashed geometry and collision can be shoved in. Those should be pretty similar in some aspects at least to Generation's levels. Get the geometry in and layouts should be no problem to recreate. Although those spline paths might need some work later.

2. Damizean

Damizean

As classic as rock Member
    Valencia, España
    Various projects
    Worry not, I've started messing around with the Havok SDK and the serialization of the Scene Files (hkx). Doing some progress (although just in console format so far) identifying the structures and working out how this massive engine works.
    [​IMG]

P.S. This is some partial dump of Modern Sonic Idle animation :)

3. Dario FF

Dario FF

Kudos on that! Has there been any progress on ripping the level geometry as I saw you were doing earlier? Haven't heard of news from "Link", who I still don't know who it is. :v:

4. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    He's someone who was from SonicCult or X-Hacking, or whatever it's called now.

5. KuroBit

KuroBit

Wow that's great to see! I was afraid we wouldn't get to animations for a while... It's really impressive seeing all these names I know posting in this forum...!

I don't really know much about editing Wiki's, but I'd be willing to dump whatever information I can find if I know what formatting I should be using...

Also, is it highly unlikely that we'll ever be able to load the game from unpacked .cpk files? It's a bit frustrating having to wait 10-20 minutes for it to repack itself (not counting bb3.cpk of course).

6. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    Well stage importing is going well, Link is doing a stellar fantastic job. I'm just giving him some ideas of how to make things easier and nice way for loading them without being such a hassle.

I asked him about an incremental batch exporter which would export two files at a time and keep going or whatever amount you set it as to.
    Edit: Since there is so many files that it would just take forever to do by hand.

[​IMG]

But we just gotta wait. Personally I rather have animations be editable and make our own animations, and for us to have a way to have a Mod folder and have all the files we want replace in there and load them.

7. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    All for the PC version. Are PC's just awesome. I've actually talked with link once before, Something about the ar files in Unleashed.

8. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Its for Unleashed 360, Generations 360 and Generations PC.

9. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    You guys know you can already make animations, right?

Basically, all you need to do is grab a model of the caracter you want to animate using the ripper maxscript, then animate him/her/it, and once you've done that you can export the scene using specific filter settings (I'll tell you guys later), and if you only exported your animation and saved to a folder using a save filter, then you're good!

One thing though; you need to remove the scale and rotation on Sonic's root bone :|

10. Damizean

Damizean

Valencia, España
    Various projects
    Yeah, but not import them from the HKX :3

Anyway, update: I'm done with dumping the animation data of the HKX (hopefully all the needed & proper data is there), now it's up to the MaxScript magicians to import the intermediary file I generated on my program, do the magic and get animations in MAX :D

I'll be working on dumping PhysicsData to a human-readable format next, but not today nor yet tomorrow, then some other day.

11. darkspines35

darkspines35

It's Easy Actually. No, seriously. Tech Member
    .V.
    Sanik Adevnt Casters
    Since you're exporting the data to a text file, all I have to do is figure out how to use "rt" (Read-Text Only) in MaxScript and we should be golden for the workings of an animations import script. It won't be easy, but it'll be a good start when I figure out which functions will need to be used.

12. Dario FF

Dario FF

Could that be .xml so noone needs to write custom parsers?

In fact, I think Maxscript has support for XML animations. Documentation for LoadSaveAnimation, it should support reading and saving to XML. Maybe you can look at that format to save yourself doing MaxScript magic in the middle.

For reference, in C++ I like TinyXML for parsing, since it's so easy to use, and just needs a couple of project files added. It doesn't really need compiling yet ANOTHER library and linking to it.

13. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Interesting find: #ghz203.ar.00 doesn't have any object data!

That .ar.00 file is basically the script data for the VS Doppelganger race. Apparently something tells the game to load #ghz200.ar.00's object data instead.

What I'd like to know is, what tells it to do that? Could it possibly be the fact the "mission script" LUA says the mission type is "VsGhost"? I dunno. But I guess it'd be worth looking into.

14. Damizean

Damizean

Valencia, España
    Various projects
    [​IMG]
    And then, magic happened...

15. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Wait, did Link actually make stage importing work from Sonic Unleashed to Generations? If so, pics? I don't care if it looks unfinished, my interest is piqued.

16. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    [​IMG]

There you go. I said stage importing. He can do Generations and Unleashed.

Edit : Stage importing from one to another can be done it just takes a lot more crap to do but it seems very possible. I'll have to try it out yet again. I did something wrong before. But I got the collision taken away though.

Also lookie. Thanks Dami for letting me test around with it to help.

17. Tanks

Tanks

Just want to point out that I totally called Unleashed -> Generations porting on day 1 of generation's release. SUCK IT JIM. I KNOW THE FUTURE.

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    When the fuck does he dance like that in game?

19. Dario FF

Dario FF

Does Sonic Unleashed have similar #levelblablabla.ar.00 files like Generations? If so, do you mind posting the Apotos file here so I can have a look at the object data? If it's not too different I'd be interested in working on converting it to Generations. At least to save us some trouble in remaking the object level layouts.

20. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I think Sonic 360 uses the .ar format, everything else is xbox format. The mods are .xno. But yes, Unleashed does use the .ar format.