don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. How much is the Special Edition? The GAME website says £35 but I can hardly believe it.

2. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

GAME's special edition is just the game and the DLC code. The 'collectors edition' with all the other extras was £75 at Amazon but it's out of stock.

3. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    I had the same issue with the silver controller, though I think it is the game being awkward with the controls. I never had issues with another game (if anything, it is still not precise enough and would make you roll by accident in theory).

4. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhIBt5LVNY8

1'41"99 - Like a boss.

5. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Huh, never noticed that lower path you got to by breaking the bridge near the end.

6. Damn. I'll just wait then. All I wanted was the ring anyway. Thanks. Now to try and get the internet working on my PS3 to get that demo.

7. Megane

Megane

PONY TIME Member
    Leaping through time, putting things right that once went wrong, and hoping each time that the next leap will be the leap home.
    Jesus, I'm surprised Sonic still has skin after all that powersliding.

MULTI HEDGEHOG DRIFTING!?

8. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    That's infuriated me since the first demo. I'm pretty sure all the springs put you into a scripted event for a few seconds where you have little to no control, regardless of direction.

The issue of not being able to drop into a halfpipe and roll when you hit the curve is still there too. You can get it to work, but it requires you to consistently mash down on the d-pad while you're dropping onto the curve, instead of just holding down.

9. Did anyone notice that pressing circle (PS3) while on rails changes Sonic's facing direction?

10. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member

OMFG at video :O. The bridge thing came new to me too. Man you have some skills. I just hope the achi for beat GH in 1 minute is for Classic and not this lol :D

PS3 ver is still available on amazon.de

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B005LU4RTE/ref=twister_dp_update?ie=UTF8&childASIN=B005LU1Y9A

11. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Nice speedrun :O

12. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    Haha, that actually works all the time, even when Sonic gets bored and lies down.

13. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Ahead of Gamesmaster's Golden Joystick awards.
    Sonic has won the award for "Outstanding Contribution"

http://uk.games.ign.com/articles/121/1210240p1.html

14. I've finally played on the new demo of Sonic Generations, and I like how Modern Sonic's Green Hill is layed out. Also the speed took me a moment to get used to, Sonic has seem to have gotten a lot faster since Unleashed; I haven't played Colours so I don't know how fast he is on that.

15. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Just played the demo. After having mostly nice things to say about this game, things aren't looking so good on my end. Seeing the gameplay in action is one thing, playing it is another.

I won't mince words, I'll come out and say it, the modern gameplay is absolutely fucking wank! It's a linear shitfest where you tap buttons and see what happens, you never feel like your fully in control. The same can be said about the Classic gameplay to a lesser extent, the absolute best I can say about that is it's okay.

I love the presentation, I love the music and the graphics are gorgeous, and I have no regrets about ordering the special edition in the spirit of it being the 20th anniversary and all. But this reacquaintance with Sonic after 12 years is looking like a one time deal only sadly. If Sega ever attempt Classic Sonic gameplay again, I hope to fuck they use Taxman's engine. There's no 2 ways about it, they NEED to nail the physics. I don't give a toss about all this pretty, 2.5d stuff if it comes at the expense of solid, classic physics. I know some faggot is gonna leap on me with all the usual "still fun, who cares?" shit, but be honest, who is going to come back to this gameplay again and again and again for years to come? In 5 years, many people will still be playing the classics, and only very few of us will still be playing Generations.

The whole project is a step forward into the right direction without a doubt, it looks gorgeous and I've wanked off to it as much as anyone. But it's nowhere near there yet.

16. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    Still fun, who cares

17. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    Being lame and not owning a PS3 or 360, I'll mooch off a friend who does and get back to you on my opinions.

Congratulations, you just described every game in existence.

18. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    You could say the same about every first stage in Sonic 1, 2, 3, etc. Totally linear. Not too fond of that myself. The final quick step section in Act 2, for example, is boring. Just some motobugs on a long straight road of nothing. They could have at least placed some spikes there, or some other obstacles as incentive to actually use quick step. Anyway, only a fool judges an entire game by the qualities of its first level.

Yes, I do.

I might. Kids who grow up with Sonic Generations like we did with the originals certainly will.
    I haven't touched the originals in years, because I've played them to death on my Mega Drive, then later again on PC when I discovered emulation. Now they are rather boring to me. I know them inside out.
    But I've just been replaying Sonic Unleashed... :P

19. Linneus

Linneus

Empire City
    I think I might actually draw some fanart, with a little World Domination on the side *COUGH* DID I SAY THAT OUT LOUD
    That was in Unleashed, as well. The only time I've ever seen it used in that game is in a special 'skip the entire stage' trick, which you can see at the start of this video:

(If you've seen this, it was been posted, like, hundreds of pages ago, that's how I found it. If you're the one who posted it initially, thanks! His runs are freaking insane.)

And speaking of Windmill Isle, the more I play Modern GHZ, the more it feels like Act 1 and Act 2 combined. It starts off in a pretty narrow space, uses a lot of "Home attack enemies!" to bridge the gap, most platforming segments have shortcuts that skip them in the form of a 2D grindrail, the caves are like Act 2's rails, where they use orange hoops to boost you to other rails so that you don't die at the end, it's got that whole "Press Circle to Slide!" followed by ANOTHER "Press Circle to Slide!", and the whole act ends with a quick step section ala Act 1.

The game is said to be built on top of Unleashed, which makes sense as it's this game's closest HD counterpart... Anyone notice any similarities between other stages and Unleashed stages...?

20. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    I notice some similarities between Rooftop Run in Generations and Rooftop Run in Unleashed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.