don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corneliab

corneliab

Regarding the whole Destroyatron Bob Carat situation, the guy did pretty much the exact same thing with Colors at last year's PAX.

2. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Except he wasn't the guy who utterly bashed Colors; he said that Unleashed's daytime segments were good; Jim apparently didn't like either.

Different reviewers with different views, whee. Let's just hope that the game is just damn fun :V

3. legareal

legareal

Apologies if this has been asked before but:

At 2:20 in this video theres a corkscrew path in the distance.. Does anybody know if this is accessible as an alternate path? Would be amazing, I'd assume not but when Sonic gets sprung over in that direction at 3:13 I gained a little bit of hope.

Fingers crossed for that.

4. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    "Looks" different, not much. It controls much better than Unleashed and Colors did from my experience. Sonic no longer slides around like the soles of his shoes are greased up while running on a dance floor. It's a lot tighter and much more manageable at slower speeds.

I believe the corkscrew is actually the main path. The route you're seeing in that video is the alternate path taken because the player failed to clear an obstacle. He ends up taking a longer route because of it.

5. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Than why does it say that the writer of the article is Jim Sterling?
    BTW, you should know that Jim Sterling's style shouldn't taken seriously. He makes it incredibly obvious in his show The Jimquisition that it's just part of his character: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/3827-The-Past-Is-Not-The-Future

6. I just now saw the images for the Super Sonics. Now even Classic Sonic's mouth is only to the right?

When the hell did they start doing this?

IT FREAKS ME OUT! SERIOUSLY!

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...Sonic's mouth has always been supposed to be on the side, if you haven't noticed in the last 20 years.

Not sure if your post was sarcastic or not, to be honest. =|

8. I did realize that his mouth has been on the right side... IN 2D! It was comic-style.

In fact, did you ever see his dying-sprite? Or air-bubble-inhaling-sprite?

They even placed his mouth where every normal mammal's having it - center of it's face - in Sonic Adventure (that's the last Sonic game I played, so I dunno when they started doing this, hence my question)! And I liked the 3D Sonic model there. :(

Now, I'm not trying to bitch about something like that, honestly, I'm just wondering why the hell anyone would do that. It's 3D, goddammit, no need to do so anymore!

9. Zallirog

Zallirog

Uh, what were we talking about? Member
    Actually I think the fact it's in 3D would make it look far stranger to have his mouth in the center of his face all the time, because he is a cartoonish looking character to begin with. Since he hasn't ever had his mouth in the center of his face it just looks odd and awkward for it to not be on just one side of his face at a time.

10. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Oh, well that's even worse. The guy's not a douche by nature, but he's one because he wants to be. Actually, aren't those both the same thing?

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    That is like saying James Rolfe made the Angry Video Game Nerd because that's what he wants to be like. It's a joke character and like I said, it's not meant to be taken seriously.

Anyway, this is getting way too off-topic. That Super Sonic thingy sure is nice!
    I wonder if there will be any gameplay differences between classic and modern Super Sonic besides their standard abilities.

12. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Edit: Fix'd the grammar fail
    [​IMG]

I know that SA1 isn't the best example since the facial expressions are so exagerated that you cannot distinguish Sonic whispering or screaming since for everything he opens his mounth 'til he reachs his belly with his chin, but hey, it's at least an example that the mounth in the middle all the time doesn't look bad at all. I have to agree on the "cartoon" point, but I personaly, prefer him with his mounth on the center for 3D stuff. They did it in Sonic Adventure 1, Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic 2006 and I liked it. :3

It's not what "looks" is what "feels" different...
    As we can see in a lot of videos and reviews from the demo, modern Sonic plays a lot different than he played on Unleashed. His movement is a lot less slippery than was on Unleashed. His moves have more precision, the drift really seems to work on this one, white in Sonic Unleashed it decided by itself when it would do larger or thin curves...
    Also the jump is fixed, you'll have a better control of Sonic jumping since in Unleashed: Plataform+3D (even some at 2D)=You're fucked. I'm pretty sure that they are using the same values as Colors or even better.
    Sonic runs a lil' bit slower. I mean, you have to admit, Sonic Unleashed was crappy in this concept. The 2D sections were fun as hell because they had plataform sections and it was fun, but the 3D ones (80% of the stage) you couldn't see where the fuck were you heading. The scenario flashes in front of you and in a moment you are in the middle of the city, in another, you're in the middle of nowhere.
    Now you have a better control of all of these, you can actually enjoy playing with Modern Sonic. :3

Now if you're really asking about the "looks" it's the same thing yep. Just a few new animations, but the same effects and the same formula of animations... Wich btw, I really don't mind since I like Sonic's animations in Unleashed.

Edit: Also, looking at the
    Classic Super Sonic
    why the hell he dosn't have green eyes? :(

13. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Sonic also had his mouth centered in Sega Superstars Tennis and Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, which are more in the style of Sonic Generations. I thought it looked weird in those games compared to his mouth placement in Unleashed and Colours.

Also, having played Generations myself, I agree with that his controls felt more precise than in Unleashed and Colours.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It's how Sonic was designed in the first place, so that's why. If that's not a big enough reason, I don't know what is.

He was designed to look like a cartoon, and they're bothering to keep the 3D models as close to their 2D counterparts as they can, which is showing some amazing work on their behalf. Leaving his mouth centered would have been off-model, and a sign of lazyness.

15. glem3

glem3

I trust you guys about modern sonic feeling diferent as you've actually played it Chimpo, but it doesn't seem like you really have enough room in green hill to see if sonic is as slippery as unleashed. When I said it doesn't "look" any different, I didn't just mean the animations, I mean the speed sonic moves at, the speed he falls at after a jump, and all that.

16. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    Are the Sonic Adventure cutscenes seriously being used as examples of situations where Sonic didn't look weird?

17. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    All of that is different yes.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc2RMHir8nU[/youtube]
    Look how Sonic make turns without a problem, and can jump really good. His speed looks very different, anyways. The only thing that I noticed that they didn't changed much was the gravity when Sonic jumps. He still falls too soon and jumps too low (at least for me).

18. glem3

glem3

The "gravity" of the jumps is exactly what I was talking about in the first place.

19. Hmm, just to be clear on this, for any one who's played Modern Sonic,would you say his movement feel more akin to Sonic Adventure/2 now, or is it just improved from colors?

20. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    I'm not talking out of my ass. I tested for all that during my playthrough. I found a spot large enough and started messing around while pissing off everyone else in line.

It's different. You can argue with me once you've actually tried it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.