don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [​IMG]

All of the blue (or grey?) things in Sky Sanctuary; I'd personally guess it's part of a stylized texture for the floating brick platforms, with the lines being the areas where it splits apart and falls into the abyss. There aren't a whole lot of other things it could be, especially seeing as the boss fights of the game are separate from the main levels as far as we're aware so there'd be no reason for Mecha to show up in Sky Sanctuary. Alternatively it could be something so small and inconsequential that we won't even notice it show up in normal gameplay.

The red textures are probably part of the teleporters though, being the only red objects in the original Sky Sanctuary. It really does depend on how liberal they're going to be for the Generations interpretation of Sky Sanctuary - I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of Hidden Palace and Lava Reef elements show up unexpected.

2. EDIT: Accidentally reposted instead of editing my previous post. My bad.

3. RhikoruNa

RhikoruNa

Your next line is, "Hey, I recognize that Joestar Member
    This kind of stuff is just what gets me so excited as a Sonic fan for Generations. We're not just getting flat out remakes of older levels, we're getting interpretations, along with "What if Sonic did/traveled through X within the original levels?" scenarios.

So far, we seem to have...

Green Hill - "What if Sonic went INTO the mountains, and inside caverns of the mountains, of Green Hill?"
    Chemical Plant - "What if the Chemical Plant went into MELTDOWN MODE?"

With this pattern, its logical to assume Sky Sanctuary will have some kind of twist to it too. (Well, that and the fact that interviews have basically said that we're getting this kind of work done to each level when they showed off Modern Green Hill...)

For instance, what if Classic Sonic went through an interpretation of the original level, then cutscene to Sonics and Co. climbing the final pillar to the Death Egg...when Metal Sonic/Death Egg lasers or guns/Random Eggbot knocks Modern Sonic off the spiral pillar, setting up an Act 2 for Modern Sonic where you have to climb up Lava Reef and/or Hidden Palace, leaping between collapsing segments of Sky Sanctuary to catch up with Classic Sonic and the Death Egg?

What if, when you enter the era of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, you see the Death Egg lifting from its crater in Lava Reef, taking actual chunks of Lava Reef Act 1 & 2 + Hidden Palace with it? You could have level segments of Lava Reef that collide with Sky Sanctuary, that you might be dodging or exploring...

I know a lot of this seems just like fanfic-esque speculation, but the fact that we can be excited for levels we've played hundreds of times before really makes me appreciate that we're not just getting HD remakes of old levels, and that older levels can and will seem both familiar, yet fresh.

4. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Yes. Yes you are.

EDIT: Using the textures found in the demo I decided to do a mockup of the teleporter in 3D, assuming the red brick texture is actually the Teleporter.
    Orthographic:
    [​IMG]
    3D:
    [​IMG]

Just for fun I also rendered it in Mental Ray, where it's all shiny and almost lifelike :P
    [​IMG]

5. And we have confirmation as far as I'm concerned that Classic and Modern Super Sonic are back in Generations:

[​IMG]

Fair assumption?

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Fucking awesome right there

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Well, it's a fair assumption sure, but kind of moot really when you consider that models and textures for them exist in the demo. :P

8. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    They got it all wrong! Classic Super Sonic should have GREEN EYES!!!!1111 RUINED FOREVEEEEER!!!!! /sarcasm

*cough* Anyway.

Hope they are both playable in normal levels, they kind of dug themselves in with both Sonic 4 and Colors, not doing it would create a backlash, and since the this time the levels aren't built around Wisp-like powerups both Supers will end up playing better than S.Sonic did in Colors.

9. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Even as an occasional joke, I hope this fucking dies soon.

Wouldn't it be funny if they made a cutscene that sort-of reenacted Goku's ascension to Super Saiyan? With the whole theme of time compressing getting fucked up, it'd be cool to sort of go back and see when Classic Sonic first went Super and make a big dramatic hullabaloo about it.

10. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Well, it wouldn't be the first time that Sonic does a DBZ homage/ripoff.

Hell, this is pure wishful thinking, but they could do a little scene like that, but inside the S2 Beta Hidden Palace.

11. Chimera

Chimera

Castlevania prettyness
    I wonder... Are Super Sonic's eyes white with a black outline or are those his highlights? Anyway, pretty sweet, though too bad his quills aren't crazy-twisted like in 2 and 3. Oh well.

And not having Super in normal levels will disgust me. Plain and simple.

12. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Looks like there's our final level right there folks. All the generations toys have had a level from the game on them.

Looks like we've got another space/time void on our hands

13. Chimera

Chimera

Castlevania prettyness
    Like we didn't know the final battle would be in space in the first place :P

Also, quick comparison of the teleporters.

[​IMG]

Honestly I'd love it if the Hedgehog Engine rendered the teleporters like that. Can't wait to see the ancient city (?) in the sky in full 3D.

14. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    But...but... Super Sonic had green eyes in Sonic 3...

oh and I fucking love this picture

15. But he had black eyes in Sonic 2, which came first.

Personally, I wouldn't care if his eyes flashed rainbow colors like Hyper Sonic. It's not really noticeable.
    Although that would look pretty fucking weird/awesome.

16. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    What makes you think we won't get Super Sonic in normal levels?

</whatareyoutalkingaboutidon'tknowanythingaboutanybody'sconfidentialthings>

17. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    I hate you both so much.

But I do love this picture.

[​IMG]

18. Where did this picture come from please?

19. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ_QHoELNVU[/youtube]
    Has anyone had this happen before? I was randomly just messing around and it just happened...

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Wait, what on Earth? I've had some kind Buzzer glitch before where I couldn't touch them (restarting the level wouldn't even fix it), but that's just weird. And what's with the S4 wall standing at the end?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.