don't click here

Sonic 20th Anniverary Collab Video

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Narstyle, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    What about the 5 year gap between S&K and Sonic Adventure?

2. They should have totally thrown in Sonic Xtre-

Or Sonic the Hedgehog Spinba-

How about Robotnik's Mean Bean Ma-

Maybe Sonic R or Sonic 3D Blast?

3. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

Sonic 2006 was supposed to have a "True Ending".

This was leaked beforehand when the achievements were posted.

Nights of Kronos 60
    Unlock the complete ending to the last hidden story.

To get this achievement, you have to S Rank both final levels, which should have unlocked the true ending, but didn't.

(I'm the sonic canon guy, I remember stuff like this)

4. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    So what was the true ending going to be?

5. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

Elise and Sonic getting married?
    Your guess is as good as mine.

The only way to find out would be if someone interviewed one of the Sonic 06 story writers or "obtained" the scripts, or better yet, ask the japanese VAs.
    They probably recorded the voices for the true ending but couldn't get the CGI ready in time or something.

Good luck on that.

edit: If I'm remembering correctly, Elise's english VA was an avid fan of Sonic and got to read the entire game's script. I'll have to stalk her next time she's doing Q&A's.

edit #2: heres the list of unlockables that never made the final game

=====Alternate Endings=====
    SONIC'S real ending- Get all S-RANKS with SONIC
    SHADOW'S real ending- Get all S-RANKS with SHADOW
    SILVER'S real ending- Get all S-RANKS with SILVER
    The FINAL STORY real ending- Get all S-RANKS with SONIC, SHADOW, and SILVER

=====Unlockable Characters=====
    Unlock TAILS- Complete all of the missions the people give you in TOWN STAGES with any rank
    Unlock KNUCKLES- Complete all of the missions the people give you in TOWN STAGES with all S-RANKS
    Unlock ROUGE- Complete all of the missions GUN gives you with any ranking
    Unlock OMEGA- Complete all of the missions GUN gives you with all S-RANKS
    Unlock BLAZE- Complete all of the missions to solve SOLEANNA'S PAST with any rank
    Unlock AMY- Complete all of the missions to solve SOLEANNA'S PAST with all S-RANKS

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    The "it never happened" ending was perfect for Sonic 06 because it never should have happened. The "true ending" would probably fuck things even more up and we'd have even more of the fans complaining.
    Also, I still don't get why people care about the story in a Sonic game.

7. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    First I've heard regarding those "unlocks". Source?

Also keep in mind that Sonic 2k6's entire script WAS leaked to the internet in the months leading up to the game's release, providing previously unseen looks at concept art for Silver, and the information that Silver's original name was going to be "Venice", and Elise's original name was "Oliga".

To my knowledge, this script makes no mention of an unproduced "final ending".

8. That's a whole lot of reliability put on a couple words from the Achievement list. Given the broken and development mess that was StH'06 (Not hating against the entire game, but no one can deny there was not issues behind doors in terms of development. You only have to look at the numerous glitches left in the game, the lack of feedback from testers / the public as well as the whole Super Sonic being scrapped from every level)

I would be under the impression that it could have had a True Ending planned for it, but then again, as the final products evidences, the Developers may not of been fully communicative with each other and may not of even known / realised there was to be one.

9. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

It's certainly not the first time features like super sonic in a sonic game were cut.

I still remember back when Sonic Adventure 1 was supposed to have Hyper Sonic and Super Sonic in every level. (The hyper sonic hinted at a mural in lost world with 14 emeralds which became 7 emeralds when they released Director's Cut, and the prototype demo for SA1 having 14 emeralds. The super sonic was, well, Tikal's VA answers that cut feature). SA1 was definitely going to be a bigger game at first.

But Sonic 06? it was going to be even bigger than that. The strategy guide mentions a lot of cut things like the Rainbow Gem, as you've mentioned, which grants access to Super Sonic in stages. There was probably going to be a use for Sonic's other optional gems like the mini-me gem thats near pointless unless you like infinite jumping, for instance. The entire game was rushed though to make Sonic's 15th anniversary. If they delayed it just one year, we would've gotten a much better game that we wouldn't be trashing in this topic right now. Additionally, there's a lack of continuity in Sonic 06's storyline as it is right now. The true ending was rumored to connect the three character's stories, because as it is right now, Shadow's story is all "In the future, the World will become my Enemy", and starting in the final story he just "lolwut" forgets all of that.

---------

Anyway, getting back on topic.
    20th anniversary huh? It's been five years since I played Sonic 06? Time flies.

You know, I kind of miss the old Sonic. Not the "LOLOLOL IM GONNA BREAK YOUR TOYS" Sonic we saw in Sonic Unleashed, but what happened to the "Blue Dude with an Attitude" Sonic? The one we all grew up with? Sonic's personality definitely changed over the years. He went from: *Sticks middle finger (well he only had four fingers but still lol) at Eggman* and "SHUT UP TAILS" and the badass we saw in Sonic CD to this...new Sonic in Unleashed that's all about speed and fun. Oh. Yay. Sonic was never about speed, whoever the director of Sonic is now is pretty stupid. Sonic's personality has been literally sapped from him game after game.

Personally, if they were to make another game for his 25th anniversary. Do not do Sonic Generations again. Instead, make a game where Modern Sonic reverts to his "Blue dude with an Attidude" personality, the personality that defined Sonic the Hedgehog for me, the personality that made Sonic one of the most popular icons of all time, the personality that people could look up to. Make Sonic Badass again.

(( NOTE: To be fair, It seems Sega is slowly starting to revert back to this. Sonic is the only playable character recently, and for what it's worth, Sonic has shown some badass elements lately, such as in Secret of the Rings (IMO, in secret rings Sonic was...well...brutal at points. Especially the way he watches Erazor Djinn disappear like that.). But just as fast, in Unleashed Sonic went back to "Hey it's time to make friends!" and in Sonic Colors "time to make some more friends!". ))

Reflecting back, though, on the past 20 years of Sonic? Well, I was lucky to have been born in the year of sonic, 1991, and I still remember playing sonic CD for the first time (can't remember playing s1, but I remember watching my brother play it) in 1993/early 1994. I've picked up every major sonic game since, though I waited for black knight to hit $15. In my personal opinion, the technology behind Sonic is evolving, while the character itself hasn't been.

Favorite Sonic Games in the past 20 years:
    2D top 5:
    1. Sonic CD
    2. Sonic 3
    3. Tails Sky Patrol (wait wut?!)
    4. Sonic & Knuckles
    5. Sonic 2

3D top 5:
    1. Sonic Adventure 2
    2. Sonic Unleashed
    3. Sonic Riders
    4. Sonic & Secret Rings
    5. Shadow the Hedgehog

That's just my two cents on the anniversary sha'deal.

Thoughts?

10. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    I'd be on board for that. For my taste the Modern Sonic is a tad too vanilla and, as Jim Sterling would put it, "too cool to be cool". While the lovable idiot persona in Colors was a refreshing contrast to most of his previous performances, I'd much prefer a personality that's more cocky with its self-assurance and even jerky, but still funny and lovable as your typical cartoon character, so it balances out. His character should still be humorous and funny, but nevertheless bearing the kind of edgy, scrappy prickish attitude that exudes a very pure boyish self-confidence—and you would believe it. I'd like to see Sonic get angry and look more believable when he does so. I haven't really seen that in the Modern interpretation, which has a lot to do with the script Sonic's given, the voice direction, and the character animation that all culminates into the final performances. Small changes in each of those aspects, like having funnier lines with more of a biting attitude to them, having a good voice to match up with that attitude and deliver, and making Sonic's eyebrows furrow cartoonishly when he's pissed instead of just angling the closing eyelids can really make a difference to the overall impression and personality of the character. Ultimately the more believable AND the more entertaining it is, the better the character is. In Sonic's case, the more believably cocky and dickish and the more funny he is, the better.

tl;dr I'd like to see Sonic act more like a pure scrappy cartoon hero with an attitude than a teenager awkwardly posing as a cheesy superhero. In other words, Classic over Modern.

11. Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Get it? A sonic screwdriver? Member
    Timey-Wimey detector.
    I really wish they would stop using SA2 music for things like this.

I do not like SA2.

12. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Well, I like it, though after having heard it a couple more times, I just wish the remix woulda used less flanger.

13. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Right there with you. I think Sonic OVA was the perfect rendition of Sonic's personality. Heck, I'd even take how he was in Sonic Adventure or SA2 over the caricature he became after Heroes.

Back on this, I loved the toe-tap thing Sonic did after SA2. I like to think Sonic's saying "Yep, those were my good games! Oh... here's that other stuff."

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I'm intrigued as to whether this mix of Live & Learn will show up anywhere else...

15. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Good point about the Sonic OVA character. That's actually exactly how I'd like to see him act. Nice and considerate when it counts like a caring big brother; a cool guy who lounges about in the sun when things are cool; and otherwise selfishly dickish and somewhat abrasive, but not so overly offensive that he becomes annoying or even repulsive. Like, he naturally won't be as much of a jerk to Tails, Knuckles, or Amy as much as he is to Robotnik and his minions. It's a fairly basic balance to strike and it depends heavily on good writing, moreso than it would on voice delivery and the art/animation style, for it to be entertaining, fun, and most importantly, genuine and believable. But the latter two aspects nevertheless count towards the final impressions of the character, and it hasn't done SEGA well to skimp on either.

I took it more as an "I'm waiting" use of impatient foot-tapping, which honestly looks a little bit better when Classic does it, but that's neither here nor there.

I barely noticed Live and Learn, since it's such a spammed vocal Sonic theme. I heard it, but it never really registered as "WHOA AWESOME ITS LIVE AND LEARN." Guess it hasn't aged any better than the Adventure games did.

16. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    It's highly speculation, but it's rather odd that of all the time gaps for Sonic to pause and tap his foot at was right behind Adventure 2. I mean sure, that's the last game that was released on a Sega console, but with the huge time gap between Sonic and Knuckles and Adventure, it seems an awful lot like a blatant punch in the rib cage from Sega to the fanbase saying, "Hey, Sonic Adventure 3 anyone?" Especially considering that Heroes was released only two years after Adventure 2, being the smallest time gap in the series between main series titles.

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Eh. I thought the reason they'd put it there was that's the half-way point in the timeline - Adventure 2 was the 10th anniversary game, after all.

18. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    At first I thought the toe tapping was a joke, poking fun at Sonic having just missed that City Escape ramp, you know, a cute extra, if you will. It seems to be kind of like a "move along, nothing to see here moment". He's being aloof and downplaying his slipup by suddenly switching his focus to the blue streak on its way to show off Sonic Heroes. I mean, I'd be a little annoyed if I missed that particular ramp. That one's cake. It's the ramp halfway down the following hill that I've learned to just shrug off because it doesn't register half the time. It's like trying to get the 1000pt ramp tricks during the boarding part, you kinda have to just get lucky. Even when I'm going really fast and I trick I usually just get the 500, and sometimes it'll bend me over and fuck me with the 200pt trick. Unless I'm just that stupid and haven't figured out the trick to City Escape's tricks ten years and at least 500+ playthroughs down the road.

19. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    Keep in mind that unlike the OVA and pretty much every other game, Sonic didn't fight any really threatening enemies until the end. Even Unleashed Sonic acted like this, though less cocky and "Spider-man-like".

20. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Funny you should mention "Spider-man like", as Modern Sonic and Spider Man seem really similar to me. For Spider Man, the constant snarky wise-cracking works for him because he's got his own particular style and consistency to it, and that's traditionally how Spider-Man's always been: a downplayed Deadpool. For Sonic I wouldn't necessarily like to see the same thing. I'd like to see a similar snarkiness about him, but different. I guess more a "cute" snarkiness that's performed well and not too frequent. Like, you know how the sprite for Sonic in Sonic 1 & 2 is always looking serious until he starts looking annoyed at you, the player, for not moving him? That's how I see Sonic, and that's how I like him: a strong and seriously focused determination most of the time, but a snarky unapologetic big-brother attitude the rest of the time, or even as an undertone to the serious exterior. I don't want to see the bastard grinning all the time, like he seems to be in Sonic X. I dunno, I guess I prefer a cocky smirk instead, but the point is I prefer the Sonic that is a funny pre-adolescent jackass cartoon rather than a teen clowny superhero all the time.