don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 1 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Cinossu, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Runner

Runner

Long time no see, old friend. Member
    Seriously, I can't expect any fixes in physics coming from a team which can't hear the difference between the spin and dash sounds. :v:

2. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Is Iizuka talking about bottomless pits in that quote? Because I swear to God those are not fun at all.

3. TheLazenby

TheLazenby

I bought this game, I played it a couple times, and now I hate it. Just doesn't feel like Sonic to me. No, I take that back, it feels like the platforming shit in Sonic 1, and I didn't like that.

4. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    What are you on about? Sonic 1 is way superior to Sonic 4. The physics actually work, the level design is brilliant, and the music is memorable. Platforming shit? Uh... I'm sorry, but... What?

5. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I hope he is. To me bottomless pits should be banned from future Sonic games.

6. Actually, He is talking about a question he was asked:

"Whats the secret to making 2D work?"

7. serpx

serpx

Because he's obviously a genius in that field.

8. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    Q: Whats the secret to making 2D work?

A: More Iizuka brand bullshit.

9. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    So Tadashi Kinukawa is the reason Mad Gear Act 1 has a DIFFERENT drum sequence at 00:26? Way to sneek in a remix thinking that no one would notice! Although I think I may actually like it over the original (drum beat).

I think a few of you will appreciate the better sounding MP3 version! Glad you like it :)

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's really a matter of opinion. While I personally wasn't 100% satisfied with Sonic 4, I thought the level design was better than that of Sonic 1, mainly due to the fact that there were far too many slow parts of Sonic 1's level designs, and the only levels that really allowed for any speed were GHZ and SZ (I much preferred Sonic 2 and 3's level design direction). I agree with the physics part though. Shame Sonic 1 had that damn speed cap though

11. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    roll = no speed cap

Sonic 1 is the best 2d sonic in my eyes, it is amazing.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well I know that but I meant with running and jumping.

13. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Wow, sorry to be a dick, but...

The entirety of Labyrinth Zone was more fun and exciting than Sonic 4. Two things about Sonic platforming I really like - it's fun to see how far you get by just rolling and jumping using your momentum (you're like a rolling, blue tank...that can jump), and not having to hold down a 'run' button to pick up speed makes it so that you can't press the wrong button by accident and fall to your doom when you reach a ledge (or even fail the jump because you weren't needlessly holding down a second button to run). Other (2D) platformers could benefit from this. I feel like DKC Returns works well without one (now let's reassign the roll/cartwheel to a real button...).

I wonder what Super Mario Bros. 3 or Mario World would be like if Mario/Luigi reached his top speed with the d-pad, leaving the 'run' button open to just tail/cape attacks and fireballs. I've seen so many people die in platformers that aren't Sonic, because they don't realize there's a 'run' button they have to use to jump across larger gaps. For some reason it just doesn't click with some people, and it's pretty frustrating just to watch.

14. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    So when do you think there'll be any news on episode II? I sure hope they're not waiting for June 23rd for all of the Sonic news for this year.

15. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Strangely enough, I have to say the 360 version of Sonic 4 looks better on an old TV. Kinda ironic since it's meant to be a sequel to games I played on the same TV. :specialed:

Jeez, I sure hope not. Although I thought we heard that we'd get more info this February on at least some Sonic stuff. I don't know for sure but I hope there's something.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Speaking of the 360 version specifically, why is the shading on models so much more hars than on the PS3 version? It's looks good in LL2 and MG3, the two dark zones, but otherwise it's pretty naff.

And might we hear something about E2 in February? That's when E1 actually got announced.

17. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I'm sorry, but what the actual F*** was I just reading in that quote box? I simply do not understand why Izukai dissects the Sonic games in such an odd way, and makes the creation of level design seem like such an intricate process, when actually, he tends to F*** it up anyway. As you are all aware, Sonic Advance, Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Advance 3, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure and Sonic Unleashed's daytime stages were all good, or great, or fantastic. Why anyone could or would blame Dimps for poor design, when it's the head of Sonic Team who oversees development and seems to spout shit and mess everything up is beyond me.

Sod dissecting every type of platformer and ordering them into' 'speed' and 'jump' game categories. Make a basic level theme, put it on paper, make it interesting, test it, make sure it feels like a Sonic level, and that it gives the player the ability to explore thoroughly yet also be able to zoom straight through it, and put it out in a game. Sod letting the whole world know you're adding MULTIPLE PATHS, and just make the damn game. Jeez, if I could make a decent level on the Sonic Creator, surely they can be paid to shut up with the crap and sort things out.

Sonic 4 isn't a bad game, in fact, I really enjoy it, but they've obviously tried too hard to add interesting themes, and made it the least recognisable game in the 2D series, forgetting the DS games.

18. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

Pits the game.
    Hold right the game.
    Cramped design is cramped.
    DER SPEEEEEED
    DER SPEEEEEED, but slightly better.
    Ans since I'm assuming you mean the Wii version, racing sim.

19. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    MIDI forms of the Sonic 4 soundtrack aren't exactly new.