don't click here

Sonic Colours out for Wii/DS

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 26, 2010.

1. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

The same goes for Death Egg Zone in Sonic 2, as well as the Doomsday Zones for Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

2. Flare

Flare

Where is a source to this "confirmation of zone numbers"?

3. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Actually, it looked like there were short alternate paths for almost every instance where the laser wisp was used. I saw only one bottomless pit, and the places where you said the homing attack was "needed to not die" could be passed without it. That huge gap could be passed with the double jump and holding forward while doing so (it looked like the player used the HA simply to get the enemy while airborne), and the part with the balloons could have been passed by just bouncing on them with Spin jump (we've seen that it's possible). The only problem I see is that they are a bit too short. The fact that they simply focus on a particular powerup does not make it filler; from what I can tell one can probably beat the level without it, or at least most of it, and they look pretty fun any way.

4. glem3

glem3

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, I was just saying I wish they made 6 full acts per zone rather than those little mini-acts. Even the multiplayer levels look like mini acts.

The laser section didn't have alternate paths :P. There was a part where you could skip one of the diamonds by changing your angle, or maybe a couple diamonds, but I don't see how that's an alternate route. Secondly, isn't the double jump activated the same way as the homing attack? So if you were locked on like you were in that situation, your only option would be homing attack or boost, and boost would likely kill you. Also, to even get to that area you had to run along a really thin path over a bottomless pit. Anyway, the point is that the level design is just much weaker than the normal levels. And I never said the balloon part was an issue, that looked fine. And what part of the level says "you can beat it without it"? There were TWO optional laser areas, one for an extra life and one for one of those red rings. All the rest were mandatory and blocked by walls.

And no, the fact that they focus on a particular powerup doesn't make it filler. The fact that it's much shorter than the main levels, has no unique elements, and worse level design makes it filler.

5. Flare

Flare

We haven't seen a whole zone yet though, from what I constantly read, they have put goal rings to avoid reveal parts of the level.

6. glem3

glem3

People just say that because tropical resort only had whisp containers. There's no preview, interview, or anything official that mentions goal rings blocking off the end of a level. Even so, we've seen full acts of tropical resort 1 and 2 with capsules at the end, and one of sweet mountain. The reason tropical resort only had whisp containers is because it's directly connected to planet whisp, that's what's powering the resort. Some levels have rings, some have capsules, like in sonic unleashed, some levels had rings, some had keys.

Edit: And why would press releases used for previews have unfinished levels? Why would they give the press an incomplete copy with incomplete levels? In other words, why would these videos of the press release show incomplete levels? The game comes out in 2 months, guys. The levels are complete.

7. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    It was assumed the goal-ring in Sweet Mountain Act 2 was there to shorten the level in the E3 build mainly because it looked like the level went on after it (pretty sure there was an Eggpawn or two back there), and the Tropical Resort boss was confirmed as being shortened in the demo to keep it as a taster. So it made sense. Not so much now, though.

8. glem3

glem3

Yeah, I get why people would think it made sense back then. Plus, the boss wasn't "shortened" they just gave him less hits. They always do that though, they make the game slightly easier during demos. A while back I proved that the levels didn't go on though, so I thought we were past that assumption.

9. Flare

Flare

Sweet Mountain: Goal Ring - yet Sonic is able to homing attack an enemy past it and it looks like there is more to go.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7BXcezQUJ8

Tropical Resort Act 2: Capsule - to me at least it looks like there is a small passage way behind this capsule.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az_DCSXM9PQ...feature=related

Either way my point was at these "extra" levels which you say are tiny, yet I don't see where this fact is taken from unless you've played them yourself in which case my point is moot.

10. glem3

glem3

I can NOT believe we're back to this. I proved this all wrong a long time ago, so I really don't care to prove it again. If you want to believe the goal rings are there because the level isn't over, fine. It will be your disappointment when the game comes out.

PS. There's more to act 1 because act 2 stars where act 1 left off, you can run around the ring in tropical resort like in shamar act 1 but you can't keep going.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before you talk about how there are extremely minor differences between the two, it's just meant to be an effect to fake cohesion, it's not meant to be an exact replica. The background is in the exact same position though (even though it's not clear in this picture) and the layout is the same.

Edit: Yeah, I basically said fuck it and explained it anyway XD

11. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    In the case of Sweet Mountain Act 1, the following act actually began right where Act 1's capsule was, and you continued up the wall and on through Act 2, so just because there's something behind the goal ring, it doesn't necessarily mean the act's been shortened. The robots in Sweet Mountain Act 2 are the only actual anomaly we've seen so far.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

12. Flare

Flare

Well I've been proved wrong... in a disgusting angry manner, but proved wrong either way.

13. glem3

glem3

I'm not angry, it just brings back memories of trying to prove this to people when we first found out about this. When I see stuff like this it just seems like people are setting themselves up for disappointment. I mean, some people LIKE filler acts, so it's not a big deal. I like filler acts. I'd just PREFER normal acts, because they have their own gimmicks, they're longer, and just have nicer design. If these levels are anything like unleashed filler, they'll be designed just like the multiplayer levels we've seen. Lots of endless pits, but kind of fun and addictive design.

It's just, I thought they'd be able to give us a solid 6 zone, 36 FULL act game. That would be amazing.

Anyway, are these new?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. TSSZNews

TSSZNews

First @ Something or Other Banned
    The Update Desk
    Occasional JOURNALISM
    As of this morning, yes, but as of now, so is this--the Sweet Mountain DS boss direct from TGS.

Ahoy, matey.

(Also, glem, please don't direct link to imagery on my site, pretty pretty please :( )

15. glem3

glem3

16. Is that supposed to be Earth? Or maybe it's Planet Wisp. Either way, it's awful watery-looking. The land on it isn't too distinct, if that's even land at all and not just darker water.

17. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    Character Translations thanks to Core on Sonic Stadium:

Yacker
    Alien called White Wisp.
    He has been saved by Sonic when he was chased by Eggman's robots.
    He's different from the other White Wisps,
    because one long hair-like thing grows on his head.

Dr. Eggman
    Self-proclaimed evil genius scientist, selfish and self-centered.
    He seems to have build a space amusement park "Egg Planet Park"
    as a present to everyone he has bothered so far,
    but really, the truth...?

Orbot

Eggman's assistant robot. With Cubot,
    he has been built to handle Eggman's chores.
    He obeys faithfully Eggman's orders,
    but in fact, he doesn't like Eggman that much.

Cubot
    Eggman's assistant robot. He likes Eggman,
    but basically he's a lazy person who doesn't act until he's scolded.
    By switching his internal chip,
    he can become cast of various attractions.

18. glem3

glem3

So in other words, the bosses in the game are Cubot with a different chip?

19. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    That sounds pretty cool. I want to see where they take that.

Did anyone see all the animated Wisps at TSSZ? They looks pretty cool in motion. Gotta hand it to Sonic Team for bringing so much life to such simple looking characters. And Sonic's transformations look pretty badass now that we've got a clear view of them.

20. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    It's quite logical, really. Sonic bosses are generally Robotnik in a different machine, often connected to his basic egg mobile. After getting his ass handed to him so many times, he probably just outfitted his bots to do the same boss function.