don't click here

Sonic X-treme Textures and Defs

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    The camera in Burning Rangers is actually pretty well behaved most of the time, and I never had any problem with the controls. They actually seemed pretty tight.

2. Syniphas

Syniphas

also known as Svetlana Member
    Brazil
    Listen to this man, for he knows what he babbles about.

Seriously, he made a great point there, and I support and/or endorse it.

3. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Wouldn't mind seeing a game made out of this, but honestly? I never dug the fish-eye camera idea. A full 3D game would be better, I'd think.

4. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters

HNNNGGGG! The more you know, eh?

5. S1impikenz

S1impikenz

Sonic 1 layout hack
    Just thought I'd mention something I just found out,

Andrew75 over at The Sonic X-treme Compendium Forum has already began rebuilding the levels in the Sonic Xtreme Textures and Defs. He already finished the mappings on the "screen1.def" level and plans to finish up Jade Gully by tonight.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wouldn't it make more sense making a program that converted between formats, rather than rebuilding each level one by one? Just a thought.

7. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

He seems familiar with working with 3D, not programming necessarily. He probably doesn't understand either of the formats, as well.

8. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    In Senntient forums Chris Senn (kurisu) signature is : ""LEAVING ...what a good idea!"" and the last time he was logged on was some hours before this topic got posted, I can't find his last post (at 2009-12-05 14:13:52) on the public forums. Maybe there is there any relation between this and the leak o.o. I don't know xD, I would only like to know what is the history behind this XD.

9. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I thought the same when I saw that. Ridiculous if it's true. He may not have wanted this to get out, but just running away from your own message board is stupid.

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    No, what's stupid is the Sonic fandom disrespecting the developers to the point that they get completely sick of all the shit and just take off. It's happened way too many times at this point to be comforting.

I'm all for the release of these materials as well, but not at the cost of good relations with really friendly and open people like Chris Senn. He doesn't deserve that any more than we "deserve" these materials that we did absolutely nothing to contribute towards or warrant possession of. It's one thing if he doesn't mind, and it's even another thing if he minds and never says anything... but he's been very clear in the past that there are certain things he just never wanted shared. Given how much of an open book Senn has been for us over the years, we should at least give him the respect he deserves—if not as a developer, then as a human being.

I guess the disappointing part is that if Senn is this upset up to this point, there's probably no going back. He's been nothing but open and friendly to all of us and some of you can think of nothing better to do than take a shit all over his name. Real nice, assholes.

11. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I'm with the thought that we don't "deserve" any of this. Actually, I don't think anyone ever says that, it's just assumed since people start complaining about it being leaked.

Since not everyone on his boards, or really anyone besides the leaker was involved in putting this out there without his permission though, I'd think he'd actually say something to everyone that's befriended him, or just the community in general. Far be it for me say, but it almost feels like this will be another "one person does something bad, so the whole community gets shunned and blamed for it automatically" type deal.

Well, he obviously can do as he wishes, I just hate seeing this happen for the millionth time where one persons fault makes it so everyone else gets left out of anything. And lets face it, once something's leaked who wouldn't take it given the opportunity? I'm not sure exactly how disrespectful anyone would be considered for taking it, but I seriously wouldn't expect everyone to back off and not touch it out of respect heh.

12. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    You forgot to add "and the community are dicks about it on top of that."

13. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Here's something worth thinking about. Scarred Sun is pretty well respected, right? I don't know of her ever doing anything malicious before. Furthermore, SHE is the one who chose to leak this, correct? It's not as if this file was just floating around on P2P networks. Doesn't it seem odd that she would just go and leak something knowing full well the consequences? I really have to wonder what her motivation was. Is this all a sham to cover Senn or someone else's ass that wanted this leaked? Or was this a calculated final FU to this community, burning all our bridges? Time will tell, I guess.

Furthermore, I'm quite saddened about what a small impact this release has made. Has this community really become a bunch of lazy couch potatoes who can't be bothered to dig into this? I mean good lord, if this is how things were when Simon found Sonic 2 beta I don't think this scene would even exist anymore.

14. I'm as surprised as you, but it could also be timing. Christmas is coming and so are finals for college students on the site. I know this content is totally awesome but I don't have any time to play with it right now. We'll see when the break comes up.

15. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Hey Andrew here, First post here, woooo (well technicaly the second)

Yeah I'm mainly a 3D designer, been at it since 1998. (Hobby only)
    hnmm its so true....I don't understand the underlaying code within this release's formats,
    in fact I only know very little about programming, although I've got a little experience....
    opened up the .DEF files with Visual C++ and took a look around a bit.
    I can understand a little of whats going on in there, ^__^

If someone could convert the levels to another format than that would be wicked awesome, ( I bet Sanik already did at some point )
    ahhhh.... I must say that the origonal levels are by no means put together in an optimized layout, there are so many un necessary polygons floating around everywhere. ( Just take a look between blocks.)
    building the level from scratch is very fun!

anyways.......
    pretty much finished with Jade gully act 1 and managed to cut the polygon count by about 60- 75 % over what can be seen within SaNik's 3.2 fish-eye viewer build.

id say about a 96% finished level ,,, just needs a few minor tweaks here and there.
    Note: themain structure of the level you see here is a totally closed single mesh , not individual blocks,
    although the level was built with individual sides of blocks which were later welded together.
    some plants and stuff will probibly be billboards in game.
    all this overkill done for max performance on lower end machines
    [​IMG]

16. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    Awesome work andrew. Good to see you here. As for the SS thing, is what we know all that was in the email? I doubt that some random "hey wassup, anon here, have these files mkay" email would have sufficed releasing this without checking with Senn or someone if this should be released or held on to. Not to say anything bad about SS of course, just wondering.

17. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Is that using a game engine of some sort? Pretty cool, looks exactly like that front shot that Senn has up on his site.

18. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

fuckin' sweet

19. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    If you read the thread, he states it is a model in 3D studio max

20. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    Senn's reply:

Edit: Fixed emoticons to their retro equiv's to show his emotion :eng101: