don't click here

Sonic Classic Collection

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Oh please. :rolleyes:

It's another complimation with only 4 games. What the hell sort of commitment were they showing to begin with?

2. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Haha, no way really?

If there really are extra's added to the games like an online co-op mode then I'd get a DS just for this. If its a perpetual raping of Sonic's greatest hits, ala Sonic Genesis, I'm not fucking touching this.

3. TheGreen1

TheGreen1

Hmm, you know what they need?

They need Sonic CD remade in HD. And not only that, but you get to choose what soundtrack you want, American or Japanese. That would be worth 20-40 bucks to me.

4. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    You know what they need? To start making their compilations like this: (seeing as they AREN'T going to ever stop making them)

Sonic 1, Sonic CD, Sonic 2 (plus KiS2 in one game), and Sonic 3K. THAT would be 4 great games in one.

5. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    You know what they need?

To stop depending on old shit to get you idiots to buy them and encouraging them to do more of this bullshit.

6. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Have to agree with Chimpo.

Despite the fact I like the idea of these games on the go, I likely won't be purchasing this.

7. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Yeah, but I'm afraid Sega is like :

Sonic Compilation sells well -> "Oh, some fans love oldschool sonic, let's make another compilation"
    Sonic Compilation doesn't sell well -> "Sonic fans don't love oldschool sonic anymore, let's continue to make werewolf shit and all"

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Funny thing, that. Unleashed actually makes me want to play God of War a good deal!

And the compilations already sell well (at least, that's what they claim), and they still make games that have God of War inside them. So I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

9. NintendoBrad

NintendoBrad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is it just me or is the bottom of the screen still glitched in EHZ? Maybe these games are emulated after all?

But...

[​IMG]

This definitely isn't straight emulation. Why is Sonic there, and standing still? Did SEGA just goof up? This screen baffles me.

[​IMG]

As someone pointed out, the HUD shouldn't be there, and the timer shouldn't be going. But if it were a mock-up, you'd think they probably wouldn't care if Knuckles' socks are yellow, but they correctly are.

This is confusing. :P

10. [​IMG]
    The DS has two screens with resolutions of 256x192 each. As pictured above.

[​IMG]
    This mockup is not DS resolution. It is in fact downscaled. 240x168. Not even the same aspect ratio.

[​IMG]
    And here we have what you would get if running this on a DS, a larger image with borders.

I think them submitting fake images for a press release is cruel and cause for concern. This is obviously fake for a multitude of reasons.
    a.) The image of Sonic 3's first level with the hud in it. I can't imagine WHY they would make such a mockup, but they did.
    b.) The image of the Mushroom Hill boss fight is sadly and poorly mocked up. It's incredibly difficult to make a character stand at idle during that part, especially in that position.
    c.) Same as previous, why would it show Knuckles' hud lives icon?
    d.) And why would they be fighting eggrobo Robotnik?

Now, I'm happy at the thought of a good release of Sonic 1-3K on the DS, as long as it's functional. I don't necessitate multiplayer and whatnot, but it's of course a welcome addition. The DS is a great handheld, and deserves some more great retro love. Look at what they did with Chrono Trigger DS? It's easily the best version available, except for perhaps shrunken text and translation edits. I think it's fair to be excited, but I think it's more fair to look at this with dread. Sega's advertised a new game with some obviously bullshit screenshots. Be pessimists, people, and maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised.

11. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Wait. Since when were his shoes orange? WTF?

12. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Maybe emulation with official hacks of some sort? They apparently have the sources...

EDIT: Huh. This sucks.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I actually don't care that only 4 games are in this. They picked the 4 good ones. None of this DRMBM and Flicky shit this time. So this could be a good deal depending on the price.

14. And for giggles.
    [​IMG]

15. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Well that certainly explains the shoes then.

What SQUARE did, not Sega.

16. Maxd

Maxd

Alabama
    Mixin'
    Hopefully when this comes out I can disassemble the .nds file and see how it is set up. I'm curious to know whether it is a genuine collection port, or an emulator, because my DS flashcart cannot emulate S3K because the ROM is too big to be handled by the DS, even the ROM I got with the redundant data fix won't load. I'm curious to see how Sega does it. Maybe there will be some commenting in the S3K ROM, maybe we could use it with our own disassembly. But whatever, anyone who wanted Genesis games on their handheld got a DS flashcart or a PSP years ago.

17. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    [​IMG]

OMg!11!one!!1 sawnik wun wiff fryz iz N sawnik klasik kolekshun! bst gaem evar!

Yeah. It's complete bullshit; I'm willing to bet it's a shitty emulator or Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis caliber ports with a hack-on menu on the bottom screen.

18. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    This might be worth a download when this comes out...

...and that's about it. Even then, the only reason I'm doing it is 'cause homebrew emulators for the DS suck.

19. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Well I'll be damned.

When the fuck is SEGA going to learn? Now I'm not even going to touch this guaranteed piece of shit.

20. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Dude modern Sonic was on the cover for Sonic Mega Collection and Collection Plus, and you're just now bitching about it? Besides who really cares what the cover art looks like? You don't buy games for their cover art, you buy it for the game play, graphics, etc. As for the game, even though not all the classic games are on it, I may get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.