don't click here

Sonic Unleashed

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Adamis, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I wouldn't say the obstacles are horribly place, as I feel the level design for Eggmanland is very good. If anything, they're just more frequent and frustrating that obstacles in other levels due to it being the final stretch. Now, I don't really count the QTE's as obstacles, but I do know that the Wii version had a lot less of them, so that may be what Youtube Kid was referring to.

2. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    I didn't have too many problems with Eggmanland, aside from the occasional cheap death. Until that S-rank, that is. Lord, I must've played it a million times until last night when I finally got there by complete fluke.

However, because I'm mentally ill, I've decided to carry on playing to complete all of the extra secret missions and collect all of the useless artworks, soundbytes and cutscene movies I'll never look at, even if that means playing the ludicrously unfair final boss.

3. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Strange concept here, I know, but I like the final level to be hard. If the final level were as easy as Windmill Isle Act 1, then something is severely wrong. By no means should Eggmanland be easy. I'm GLAD they went all out to try and kill the player. By now, you should know the game, how to play it (shut it, Astley fans) and hopefully have the common sense not to barrel through the level the first time through. THAT'S where people screw up and get those 60-70 minute times. The brilliance in this game, more so the HD version, isn't about speed since usually all out speed without proper experience will lead you to your death, but pacing. If it goes too fast and you screw up a lot, slow it down and learn the area. When you feel more comfortable with it, go nuts. Just watch a video of Adabat between a novice player and an expert.

My problem with the Wii's day time levels (I've already written off the night stages as piles of crap that won't ever hold a candle to the 360/PS3 version's combat and platforming elasticity) is largely with the boost. In the HD version, you have some control over how to maneuver Sonic meaning it can serve more as an aid when necessary. The boosting here is pretty much a straight shot with very minimal control or response, leading to many slams into walls which brings the whole speed mechanic to a dead halt. Now, I don't know if it's any blessing that I've been able to A and S Rank all of the Day levels (haven't attempted Eggmanland Day yet, but based on Blanche's reaction, it sounds like a good time) or if its because this game is pretty much like the minor leagues and you win because it's so easy to do well with minimal effort ("Everyone's a Winner!" mentality, essentially,) but I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing in the Day levels at least.

4. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    I S-Ranked Apotos on the Wii version handling the controller without using my thumbs, so it's just easy.

(I sat it on a table, used my left pointer for the stick, and pressed buttons with my right.)

Personally, I think PS360 Eggmanland could be a bit harder- stick some turrets around you, to keep you on your toes. Maybe have a bullet-hell QTE sequence, where you have to make sure that you let the bullet fly past before you input. Make the lava rise in the Werehog segment where you're on the tubes. A good final level should make you want to club a baby.

5. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Not sure how many GAME stores in the UK have the same deal on but you can pick up Sonic Unleashed 360 (maybe ps3 too) for £9.99 new.

6. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Aside from the boost issue you mentioned (because I really love being shot full-speed into walls with little manoeuvrability), one thing I personally dislike about the boost in the Wii version is that, unlike the 360 version where you decide how long the boost lasts simply by how long you hold the button, the Wii boost is fixed in duration (not to mention that stupid level-up thing).
    It's not really a blessing that you've scored all A/S ranks, because I managed that too (with the exception of about two levels), and I'm especially unhappy that the Eggman boss stages are so much easier than on 360. The only thing that makes Eggmanland a challenge in that respect is the fact that the time boundaries for A and S ranks are so tight that you're not allowed a single mistake, which is fair enough, but combined with certain control issues like dodgy manoeuvring when boosting and the incredibly loose Drift controls make it easy to find yourself careening into a giant spiked ball or off the edge of an unfairly placed hairpin turn.

But that's just so much unnecessary bitching when really, I probably just suck =P

7. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Man, there's just this one bit in the furnaces that the camera seems off though. I kept dying there. Other than that I like the stage, but that one section can go die in itself.

8. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Really? While I'm the Werehog, the camera is an almost constant enemy anytime pitfalls are involved.

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Well, it's more that I died a ton of times there specifically. There are a few other sections here and there throughout the game that are really annoying, but most of them are mostly surmountable to me. Having played a few other Sonic games as well as Mario Galaxy, I'm used to iffy cameras.

10. The Werehog camera in the 360 needed a bit of tweaking, or at the very least not locking it into a position or being counterproductive for back tracking.

The Chun-Nan act that involved carrying keys and going back and forth over beams was much harder because the camera did not behave well with going backwards and locked at one spot when you were walking across the beam.

11. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    During all this, I always wondered - if the camera's such a bother (to me, it usually ain't in 3D-Sonic-games at all, and not much in this game, either) - why don't the game's testers report that and make it known to the developers so they fix it for the next test? Oh, wait, SEGA-Sammy-schedules seem too tight these days, I forgot. 8D

12. Leo

Leo

I'm right now playing Unleashitshed, PS2 version,

at the werehog missions of Eggmanland...

Everytime I want to go trough them and finished this thing, I pick up the case and ..... I think you all understand my feelings...

After all there are not much goodies beyond this point, eggmanland was the last Daylight level, long, thrilling, excellent....

I feel thirsty of more daylight epic levels, but they give me some muddy moonlight brawling...

I've read in 2PStart that Sonic Team is already planning in bringing back the werehog... kinda remembers me of this comic strip;

[​IMG]

Are you Victim of Monthly Abuse?
    Call 1-800-BAD-SEGA 24 hours a day.

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    It was a poor translation. I don't think we'll be seeing him again outside of spinoff titles. We'll get a different stupid gimmick.

14. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    It was an interview with the producer of SatBK. He said that if there were an Unleashed 2, the Werehog would probably return. AFAIK, He's not involved with making that decision.

15. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    He'll come back for A Blue Werehog in Paris, the next thrilling storybook title.

16. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Why not American Werehog in London? ... now there's an idea, makes all the Brits cringe and/or happy to be featured, too. : D

17. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Why not just give everything the Werehog had besides stretchy arms to Knuckles?
    This is a terrible idea.

18. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Because I (I don't know about other) would prefer a lot more playing in a more "Sonic Adventure way" with Knuckles than playing a not that great beat-em up with Knuckles.
    I don't dislike the Werehog, but leave his gameplay to him.

Knuckles could have something better than a mere treasure hunting, but it was fun to play as him in Sonic Adventure.

You know what characters could be used at the place of the Werehog instead of Knuckles? Chaos 0.
    You don't need to remove anything. Even the stretchy arms could stay.
    But probably it will never happen.

19. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    I will only buy when the voice actors learn the difference between an English accent and an New England accent.

And if any character at any point refers to it as "Britain" I will burn Sega to the GROUND.

20. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Yeah, I'm still remembering Sega's attempt at the English accent in NiGHTS JoD. Fantastic job there, especially how they could hold the accent and not sound American or Australian.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.