don't click here

Main Character Art

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    I think it's likely a majority of people will prefer OSM's, though I may be wrong.

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    You're in the right.

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Which is fucking stupid, because there are glaring errors with it. If OSM's sprite is to be used in any form, it should be with synchronizer's edits. As it is, it's a gigantic pile of disproportionate dung. It's not good.

4. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
  5. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
  6. synchronizer

synchronizer

By the way Tweaker, that is not my sprite edit. I just brought it from a few pages back. I DO think that it should be used as a reference to improve the other sprite though.

7. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I think that's completely fine. If the higher ups feel my sprite is in need of sprucing up, then hop to it and show me what you can do instead of calling my work dung, eh Tweaky pie? Actions speak louder then words.

8. Badassbill

Badassbill

9. fifthelephant

fifthelephant

10. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
  11. fifthelephant

fifthelephant

What is the point of him editing your sprite when he thinks the one at the top of this page is the best? (I personally think the one at the top looks like sonic 2's sprite with more shading and sonic 3's pallette).

*sigh* it's an endless argument, everyone has their own idea of the perfect sonic. Some think sonic 1, some think sonic 2, and some think sonic 3. Personally I think chimpo's is a fantastic blend of sonic 2, the new style sonic and some of the sonic jam artwork (my personal favourite art, followed by sonic cd).

I'm surprised chimpo is no longer siding with his original sprite. I will continue doing level art probably but with the current sonic sprite choice I will back away from the character art entirely.

12. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I don't have to be a pixel artist to critique what I think is wrong with your work—to assume so would be a logical fallacy. Speaking from a designer's perspective—and not necessarily an artist—there are fundamental flaws with your portrayal of Sonic the Hedgehog as a character. I stick to that statement.

To be honest, the biggest problem I see with this—and what would probably fix things up—are the spikes. The way the spikes and head are arranged make it seem like Sonic's head is constantly slanted downwards, as if he's looking towards the ground. This is wrong from both a characterization and aesthetic perspective—Sonic is known to be looking forward firmly with a confident sort of look going on, whereas here the spikes detract from the position of Sonic's head as a whole. It doesn't look right.

I should note that I'm referring solely to the idle pose here—I don't see any problem with the waiting animation.

Go fuck yourself, champ. Read what I just said—I don't have to be an artist to notice flaws in your work. I can recognize issues in the sprite without necessarily having the ability to fix it. My pixel art ability isn't as advanced as some of the others here, or I would be creating my own version of the sprite. That doesn't detract from what flaws are present in your work, however. You're not getting around that.

13. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    [​IMG]
    Fixed the quills, improved the shoes, and the shading.

Oh hai Tweaky. Yea, ok, your post is bullshit. I'm just going to ignore you unless you can ACTUALLY present to me what I did wrong. Keep using all those fancy words of yours and intelligence, but you still haven't put anything up besides agreeing with what one person said and calling my work dung. You're not getting around that either.

14. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    longer spikes...
    [​IMG]
    Like this? :P *hit* Sonic's spikes are just fine the length that they are.

15. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
  16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
  17. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
  18. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
  19. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Middle spike is off. It needs to curve down at least a little bit. It feels out of place when the other two noticeably do.

20. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK