don't click here

Zone 01 : "The Mandatory Green Level"

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    The question should be why are ZONES already set in stone to begin with. They have been carried over from the SSRG forum, I think they can still be open to a certain level of discussion now that there is a bigger audience.

And by "a certain level of discussion" I don't mean "let's fuck everything and restart from the beginning".

2. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    Interesting... The extra plant life gives the stage a more tropical feel. I kind of like this idea. It seems to fit pretty well, and reminds me of the more noticeable transitions in Sonic 3. This way, the stage can have both "clean" and detailed style art. The Rainforest Ruins Zone will have ruins and more foliage/vegetation anyway. To get to the Circus Zone, I propose an "Egg Blimp" for Sonic to hitch a ride on, like at end of Mushroom Hill. When you get to the circus, Eggman rips you off by sending out one of his flying robots to knock you off the blimp or crashing the blimp and evading via-Eggmobile, or something like that.

3. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    I would like to add a few more to them. Such as "Mechanical Zone" and "Final Zone".. maybe you guys can come up with something unique or something that you would like to see in the game. Once we agree on some new types of levels, I'll set them up on the forum. Suggestions welcome! :(

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I think that like in Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 the second stage should be a water level that's still fast.

What I'd like to see then is a desert level -- that is, based on the American southwest. Rather than have a rock pattern for the ground I'd far rather have a set of designs based on art from the southwest, such as these rug designs: http://images.google.com/images?rlz=1C1GGL...sa=N&tab=wi
    I had some basic artwork done but it's really not appropriate for the project now and would have required quite a bit of touching up.

There would be an upper level that's outside and a lower level that goes into a cave area with groundwater and is darker -- think sort of like Ice Cap Act 2 in that sense. Act 1 goes through an area near mesas and mountains, perhaps even with adobe cities in the BG, while Act 2 takes place around a large canyon. Going to the lower areas may or may not involve quicksand or waterfalls (or both).

In addition, there are of course cactuses, probably of the barrel variety and being spiky they will hurt Sonic if he runs into them directly. Smashing them, however, leads to water springs/geysers that do indeed spring you up to take you to higher routes. Might be a good idea to put a series of rings directing the player over them in case Sonic is moving quickly so they're not too cheap. In addition it would likely be best if Sonic starts the level rolling into one so the player knows he/she can actually do that as it's likely not obvious.

I'd love to see a roadrunner badnik as well as a few snakes (perhaps a Sidewinder?). Not sure what else, maybe a pygmy owl that homes in on Sonic.

In addition, as Nack always seemed to me to be the Wile E. Coyote of the Sonic world, this should be where he shows up, as an homage to those Road Runner cartoons.

So there you have it folks, Cactus Canyon.

UNRELATED: I'd also like to see that at least we're planning on having a couple factory type of zones; one that might occur near the middle of the game as well as a final base of some sort.

5. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    Hm, a desert stage that isn't a complete rip-off/doesn't use the exact same art as Desert/Dust Hill/Whatever Zone sounds like it could work. The Native American-inspired theme is both original and seems like it could fit quite well.

6. Vaiyt

Vaiyt

Oglio p'ru çeu Member
    Diggin' the idea.

We also need to think up more "human-touched" zones to balance the amount of "natural" ones.

7. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
  8. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
  9. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    I quoted myself to point out that some were being proposed.

Anyway, this would be a late-game level; water level puzzles aren't the best choice for Zone 2's gimmick, especially in an extremely slow Zone.

10. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
  11. Matwek

Matwek

I don't think anyone would be adverse to a mix around to the current zones its just that on the old fourm there was a fair amount of discusion about level transition. I can't remember them all off the top of my head but for example the City zone was supposed to follow the canadian level and underground level with you either coming in on a highway or up from the sewer.
    So I guess what im saying they weren't just arbitarily thrown together, there was some thought about the order. But everythings up for change, as suggested we could do with some mechanical zones put between them.

12. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Anyway, the thread for this zone, as well as some other threads, has been filled with off-topic discussion about things unrelated to Tropical Zone. There has been constructive discussion here and there, but not in the correct place. Someone should temporarily lock ALL the threads and sort out all the issues to the place where they belong. Here we've been talking about colors and forum leaders, just like there is discussion about bosses everywhere.
    They did a good job with the Sonic 2 HD subforum, where Vincent spends quite a lot of time moving shit around to avoid off-topic derailments.

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    <!--quoteo(post=269077:date=Jan 17 2009, 09:43 AM:name=The Taxman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Taxman @ Jan 17 2009, 09:43 AM) [​IMG][/quote]

Wait, that was an old Sonic XG/Sonic Forever level from back in 2004, only you've switched the BG :specialed:

[​IMG]

http://www.williamg.plus.com/sage2004/screens.htm
    [/quote]
    Oh man, caught red-handed.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw it, actually. Could you explain why you thought you could get away with plagiarizing other peoples' work after editing it slightly? I'm sure Euan doesn't appreciate it...

14. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
  15. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    <!--quoteo(post=269169:date=Jan 17 2009, 07:32 PM:name=Tweaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweaker @ Jan 17 2009, 07:32 PM) [​IMG][/quote]

Wait, that was an old Sonic XG/Sonic Forever level from back in 2004, only you've switched the BG :ohdear:

[​IMG]

http://www.williamg.plus.com/sage2004/screens.htm
    [/quote]
    Oh man, caught red-handed.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw it, actually. Could you explain why you thought you could get away with plagiarizing other peoples' work after editing it slightly? I'm sure Euan doesn't appreciate it...
    [/quote]

Wait a minute, did I say I created those tiles cards and that BG?
    I already explained that I didn't create the tiles and everything else and that they actually come from the now dead project Sonic Forever:
    http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?sho...st&p=244083

Plus, as I also said in this link, it's only a way to illustrate my idea, I never said to take exactly this background or those tiles, etc...

To sum up, take it easy guys, I do not intend to create problems...

16. Vaiyt

Vaiyt

Oglio p'ru çeu Member
    Sorry for helping derail the thread; but the discussion running here was too good to pass up.

17. fifthelephant

fifthelephant

Less of this talk, more art... What do you guys reckon? It's obviously not a complete tile set but I think it may be worth exploring a bit of beach to break up the monotony of the zone. It could be an idea to have the beach areas at the bottom of the level and the grassy stuff at the very top.

[​IMG]

18. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    I like it. It reminds me of Neo Green Hill from Advance- you start on the beach, right in front of the shoreline, and, as you work your way through the Zone, you see less and less sand until you reach the end. It makes it seem like you've gone further than it would otherwise.

19. Rokkan

Rokkan

20. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

I have to say, I love the look of that, and the whole idea of it. If the earth can be surreal, why not sand? Fantastic.