don't click here

Reversed Sonic Music!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Tweaker, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    A few of us in IRC were perusing a small series of YouTube videos where certain bits of Sonic music were played backwards. While some were sort of bad sounding, quite a few of them formed coherent tunes—some even arguably better than the originals! This applies to the point where these could be made proper arrangements on their own merit. It's a very cool phenomenon.

Here are some of my favorites:
    Sonic 2 (Beta) Boss Theme - This one has a seriously sinister feel to it, and maintains a lot of the bassline from the original song. It starts out with a full chorded lead and sort of dies down as the melody repeats. What's also cool about this is that, once it goes to what would normally be the start of the song, it actually keeps a lot of the same notes!

Sonic 2 Final Boss Theme - What I like about this one is the section with the trumpets that would normally bridge to the ending section of the song—it sounds much more "hopeful" and dynamic. The other cool part starts at about 0:40 or so, when the song goes into a bit of a victorious section with the brass. Very cool.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles Boss Theme - Sort of the same deal as the Sonic 2 Boss Theme. The melody sounds very with the reversed bell voice, and the progression of the song's melody sounds just as coherent as when it's being played forwards! The bass also has a very distinct sound which makes it a tad bit better than the original voice. Very smooth, and very awesome.

Can you guys find any Sonic music that sounds awesome and coherent when played backwards? Share your favorites!

2. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
  3. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Green Hill Zone is one of my favourite reversed tunes. Sound even jollier than the original (Was that even possible?) and something like a Chaotix tune in places. It's just a shame that intro passage is only ever heard once... at the end.

I sure wouldn't mind hearing backward renditions of the Sonic music in people's hacks -- it sure would beat some of the more... questionable music choices some people have. :3

EDIT

Fuck, Dr. Robotnik's Theme from Sonic 1 has The motherfucking Flash Man riff! <3

4. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    Metropolis zone Sounds pretty awesome.
    the S3 miniboss music Turns out extremely kickass! Starts out really odd, but it turns into a definite hit closer to the end. Love the bassline on this one.

Edit: How could I forget Doomsday Zone?! Much of the original tune is intact, but sounding much more sinister.

5. I'm so putting backwards GHZ in S2R :P

Only thing that freaks me out about all of these is the backwards Kick + Snare...it just sounds...I don't know :X

6. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Yeah, MK reverse Tweaker's S2HD remaster of Oil Ocean Zone, and I soooo wanted it without the "suck snare" -- it sounded like Anakaris' tune from Darkstalkers, I shit ye not.

I get back to uni and my dell laptop (Which has my midi program on it), and I'm fucking with some backwards arrangements.

7. Rokkan

Rokkan

Just get a Green Hill .midi and revert the order of the notes. It will be the backwards song but without the instruments sounding weird. And you can even edit a few notes that doesn't come up well.
    It's amazing how some songs still have some consistence even though they're backwards. I would be pleased if you guys could do the method above for those songs to see how they would sound like.

8. synchronizer

synchronizer

9. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
  10. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    PPA, although that's very funny I wouldn't like to see this topic devolve into backmasked lyrics discussion personally. I've heard most of them, and there's not a lot of depth to be had from it.

However, melodies that sound good either way... this intrigues me.

11. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

lgkdfvlbjepasvdjzcvpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Researcher
    the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    Now how about we actually take the game's music and reverse the order of the notes instead of just reversing the output?

The percussion sounds like absolute ass and it makes it extremely difficult to enjoy these, which is unfortunate because they're actually pretty good.

12. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    Wow, these sound good. I'm going to have to make remixes. Maybe in Project: Sonic Retro?
    EDIT: DARN IT! I missed Namagem's completely. Well, then, why not Flying Battery Zone?
    Or Sandopolis?

13. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
  14. synchronizer

synchronizer

Yes, is there any way to only reverse the notes? In my Spagonia example, the percussion DOES ruin it.

15. The Segan

The Segan

RIP 1991-1998 Member
  16. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    I always thought Bridge Zone sounded awesome reversed. I don't have any audio examples on hand, though :)

Also I recall, when I first was getting into XP, I took various random MIDIs and played them in fast-forward on Windows Media Player (literally 5x their speed). Sky Sanctuary sounds like some sort of epic space opera tune at that speed... Botanic Base's percussion lead also starts to blend together at 5x, with some interesting results. I'd give you audio results of this, but my computer seems to lock up if I record audio while a MIDI is playing. (At least, it did last I tried it, several months ago. Haven't really wanted to attempt it since.)

17. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Make them

Ask, and you will receive.

18. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    It actually sounds better :o

Also the filename XD

19. Vaiyt

Vaiyt

Oglio p'ru çeu Member
    This is awesome. My favorite so far has to be Bridge Zone.

C'mon, someone has to try and actually reverse the melodies!

20. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    It's too bad my computer is broken; I would totally go and reverse some songs right now...

EDIT: Oh, hey, I have a backup of my disassembly... so I might try making GHZ backwards!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.