don't click here

Sonic CD, just a bit overhyped

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Tiberious, Sep 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kama

Kama

Sittin on my Bench, Watchin the sunset. Member
    Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    Becoming a freelance artist and writer
    Sonic CD is a rather interesting entry into the Sonic series. Granted, I wouldn't call it the best game in the series, but it still serves as a competant and enjoyable experience. Hell its miles ahead of the advance games IMO.

While the american soundtrack is okay, it doesn't quite fit the spirit of the game IMO. The japanese soundtrack does the job perfectly and dishes out some pretty memorable tunes. My favorite ones being Quartz Quadrant's present and Stardust Speedway's good future.

The special stages were also very enjoyable. I actually perfer them over the ones in S3&K. They have lovely backgrounds and are quite colorful. I won't deny the fact that the last ones are very difficult to complete though.

Overall I'd say its a decent entry into the series. It doesn't hold a candle to S3&K but its still quite fun.

2. Wemes

Wemes

I liked most of the Japanese soundtrack better than the American. With the American game there was still 1/4 of the music that just didn't seem to fit.

3. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Yeah, to quote Tweaker: "That fucking jazz doesn't belong in there".

4. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    Well, there's a definate reason for that. To change the past music, they'd have to go in and redo the tracked stuff. Obviously, that's going to be more complicated than just plopping in a few new CD audio tracks.

Besides, I again will disagree. The music is just too upbeat* in the JP/EU soundtrack, even with the bad futures (see Palmtree Panic "B" mix).

*opinion formed on the "P" mixes from the US version, which obviously have the JP/EU as the base.

5. Sutter

Sutter

A SUTTER IS YOU! Oldbie
    To be honest, I've only played Sonic CD a bit, maybe 1 or 2 zones, and I hated it. The sounds, the music, but the graphics weren't that bad although they should have used different sprites.

I've always been partial to Sonic 2, just because it drew you in. By Chemical Plant, I just HAD to play the whole game my first time. It took a while but I did it, but Sonic CD just didn't have the same quality.

6. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I don't like Sonic CD at all. I think it's the only 2D Sonic game that I don't like, and I'm including ALL the Game Gear/Master System games, I played them all and they gave me better feelings than Sonic CD.

Of course this is only my opinion, I may be wrong, and I respect everyone else's point of view. Sonic 3 & Knuckles for the win.

7. C. Shyguy

C. Shyguy

I liked Sonic CD myself.

8. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    I just had the displeasure of downloading and playing a Japan version of the game. I can not understand how the japanese soundtrack is supposedly "better" than US version...

9. Fiore

Fiore

Everybody's Super Sonic Racing! Member
    In my humble opinion, Sonic CD was quite the interesting 2D Sonic game, and was an excellent successor to the previous in it's game family. Both soundtracks sound excellent and fitting to me; one isn't better than the other, and the game art in many levels was quite astounding. I'm not saying previous Sonic Games in the 2D realm weren't as good as Sonic CD, I'm just speculating that I enjoyed Sonic CD as much as any of them.

10. Rarmander

Rarmander

Poetaster Member
    An Empyreal Child
    I agree with you. When I play it, it's like going to the dentist. Something you have to do every once in a while, but it doesn't feel too good.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Were you trying the US or PC versions, by any chance?

12. Sutter

Sutter

A SUTTER IS YOU! Oldbie
    I was playing a Sega CD ISO with the JP/EU soundtrack.

13. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    You, my good sir, suck. =P

Same as my above response to SMTP, only without the ASCII smiley.

14. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    No I doont, I just have better ears than you! :P

15. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    In before trashed.

16. ChaotixTails

ChaotixTails

Custom title member Oldbie
    I liked Sonic CD better than Sonic 1, worse than any other Genesis Sonic game. Levels didn't strike me as unique.

17. Deathbyteacup

Deathbyteacup

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons. Member
    "I think Sonic CD is the greatest 2D Sonic Game!1111"
    "It's not, so deal with it lololol"
    "kk so the US music sucks"
    "nono the JAP music sux0rz"

The fact is everyone is wrong and everyone is also right. It's up to everyone which they prefer. Dosen't mean they have to enforce their opinion, either way, on everyone else.

Telling people Sonic CD is NOT the best 2D Sonic game outright is just as bias as saying it is, IMO.

18. Dragonsbrethren

Dragonsbrethren

I liked S1-3K better than Sonic CD in terms of level design. I find the time travel aspect to be a waste of level space, they could've had a huge game if they didn't waste it on a past and two futures for each zone.

As for the soundtrack, a lot of the US soundtrack is better but the Japanese music fits in every timezone, the past music really stands out in the US soundtrack.

19. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    What DeathbyTeacup said.

Just because you don't like SonicCD doesn't mean everyone who does like it is trying to enforce their opinion. When I picked up Sonic CD for a tenner about 3 years ago and played it on Gens I was blown away. It was just really nice playing an old skool Sonic game that I'd never played before. I never thought they made the most of the CD though, I expected far more levels and a better Save feature (ala Sonic 3). But if you don't like it, that's fair. I'll just continue to see it as one of my own personal favourites :)

20. I thought sonics control was a bit stunted in places in scd personally

my faves in order from best to last:

s3+k
    s2
    s1 (gg)
    s1
    s2 (gg)
    scd
    schaos

the others I can really take or leave. totally indifferent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.