don't click here

Sonic The Hedgehog: DX

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by stormislandgal, May 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    No prob, just helping out. And thanks for techie bit.

Well, I just was experimenting with colors, and ended up with something I like. I guess it could be something like going from Winter to Spring... with break-neck speed. =P

2. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    Opinion Time!
    [​IMG]
    Sonia sprites by Akuma.
    Since I got my different character system working, I've been debating which character to put in this hack. I knew that Shadow was far too overused, Mighty is reaching that status, and Espio would be a bitch to do with my current way of doing things(mappings, animations.... would have to be changed). So, how 'bout Sonia?

I was also thinking Princess Sally Acorn. =P

Forgot to mention it's a mockup, but it should be easy to tell. Anyways, my friend told me it'd be a grand idea, and he barely know's how Sonia is. I think I'll stick to originallity.

3. SmashFGM

SmashFGM

Looks good with sonia in it. Its something new keep up the good work :thumbsup:

4. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    In my opinion, if you can select who you want to play as, you could also put in Manic. That way you could choose if you want to play as Sonia, Sonic, or Manic.

5. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    Ehh, going on and editting the mappings anyway, as well as the dynamic patterns(which is a must). I just have to adapt Sonic's art to Sonia's mappings, cause I couldn't get a system of different mappings/dynamic cues working correctly.

I also got the palette issue out of the way, and now it's time for screens:
    [​IMG]
    Sonia in Marble Zone
    [​IMG]
    Sonia in City Skyline Zone
    [​IMG]
    Sonic in City Skyline Zone

And, as you notice, Sonia doesn't have purple clothes on. I might get to that in the future, but doing so would need me to edit all of the mappings for each object that uses palette line 1, to make them use palette line 2. That'll take a while. =P

Oh yeah, the only way to access Sonia(for the time being) is by entering the Level Select Cheat, entering the menu, and selecting anything. This'll probably be the same when I release it.

6. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    As you have only used three colours for Sonia's pinks, whereas in Sonic 1 there's four for this purpose, you can add a purple from Sonia's suit and add some dithering to create the colours you need...

[​IMG]

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Have you considered porting the Title menu from Sonic 2 for character selection? It shouldn't be too hard, and it'll suit your purpose well.

8. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    I could try, although I'm not too good when porting objects. You don't want to see the results of me trying to port Coconuts... well, you can't, I got an error. =P

Progress is coming on massively. I've got both Sonic and Sonia to have seperate mappings and Dynamic Pattern Cues. Both also have different stats, mainly speed differences. Also, those walls that you can break through by rolling through them... Sonia can't crash through them. This could make different paths a must.

And, also, if anyone was hoping for Manic to be in the hack, I doubt it. With the current system it's got in place, there just wouldn't be enough room in VRAM for His spike hair. I could probably change that, but I'm lazy. =P

9. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    Opinion Time again!
    [​IMG]
    I've decided on scrapping Green Hill(ehh...) And came up with this. Now I gotta update my Storyline, cause it involves Sonic leaving South Island... Well, anyways, just realize that it's only been a good 6 hours of work so far. It would've been longer if my custom grass art wasn't already made. =P

I was thinking of adding Manic, but I don't think there's enough space free in Sonic's dynamic VRAM space. His tall hair is just too much for the current system. I could try screwing around with the code and such, but I'm too lazy.

10. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    Fuck... me...

That is some awesome art!

11. Verse

Verse

Posts once a year. Oldbie
    Pomona, CA , USA
    Freedom Planet Soundtrack
    I may or may not fuck you, but that truly is awesome art.

12. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    I like it. The palmtrees (?) look awsome. They look like they've been from some 32X or Sega CD game.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    From Chaotix, perhaps?

14. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Yes. Yes they are. And that kicks ass.

15. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    Well, I got a curve set up. It curves ya around 45 degrees to running up the wall. A majority of the art is there, and the rest is lines showing where the collision is. I'll work on that later.
    [​IMG]
    I also have to figure out something about the "dirt". I want it to be somewhat of a reference to GHZ, but I want it to be different. Also, I gotta work on the graphics end of it as well... =P

Also, I've been looking into porting music. Door Into Summer to be exact. I've already found it's location... Now just to figure out the rest. =P

16. Ergo

Ergo

HA HA! ESTOY USANDO EL INTERNET! Pending Member
    North America
    pillow
    The art as a whole is a(n interesting) combination. There's some Launch Base and Mushroom Hill in there.

17. Rarmander

Rarmander

Poetaster Member
    An Empyreal Child
    Are you gonna add spindash or something? I hate running up walls without it.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Or he could add some speed boosters to the game.

19. PaintGamma

PaintGamma

SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!!! Member
    Between the X and Z keys.
    Pipe Haus v.2.0
    Or he could just use side springs. Those work too.

20. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    Speed Boosters.. Not a bad idea. Just gotta figure out how to port it first. =P I got a lot of ideas for this hack... I just wanna figure it all out soon.

And, no, I probably won't port spindash. Not for a long time at least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.