don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Cinematic Universe Thread (& Knuckles)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, May 28, 2020.

1. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    do y'all think Shadow will die at the end of the movie?

2. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    YouTube Memes
    ....no? They might pull a fake-out where they show him falling, but then post-credits they'll show him in a capsule again (or something similar).

3. Vertette

Vertette

Shadow's definitely too popular to die another time. Especially if he's voiced by Keanu, no way they're gonna give him up that quickly.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. BigTigerM

BigTigerM

If he were to hypothetically die, they should make it as heart-wrenching as possible in preparation for when he comes back outta nowhere... Leading into the Android reveal. I'm picturing the scene now, it could be played off as an egregiously terrifying revelation, particularly for this film series. Might also work well if they were to include Metal Sonic as the movie's antagonist, possibly play off the dynamic Ian Flynn was trying to go for in the Archie comics.

5. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    If he doesn't die, poor Donut Lord will have to pay for the expenses of 4 or more space aliens by the end

6. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    maybe he and Rouge will move in with Tom's sister in law

7. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I saw Knuckles in an ad for... Prime Video.
    Cuz that's something you can do, subscribe to Paramount+ from Prime Video.

8. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    If they intend to stop the series after this then I can see him dying. If not, then I suspect there will be a "death" scene with an after credits scene showing him in the capsule.

9. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    I had a dream about this movie, I don't know why...

It started with a metal door opening, and out came Eggman. The room he entered was all made of metal, like something you'd find on the Space Colony Ark. He had a stern look on his face. His irises had a bright glow around them. His skin and clothes were an extremely dark grey. They were also made of the same material, for some reason. From what I remember, his skin and clothes were similar to elephant skin.

I think there might've been an action scene right after this, but I can't say with certainty. If it did exist, I faintly remember Sonic splitting himself into multiple versions to fight an enemy. I think this was done through some sort of Chaos Control.

Sonic and Shadow jumped off a platform. The platform was extremely high up in the sky, so high that the sky itself was actually just the darkness of space. The darkness of space itself had a ton of stars in it. At the same time, the sun was shining super brightly in the corner of the screen. If I had to describe the scene, the Earth was on the left side of the screen, and on the top right of the screen was the bright sun, with space being in the middle.

Sonic and Shadow jump off, and instead of falling straight down, they fly/glide around the atmosphere. While flying, Sonic split into 2 versions of himself, I think to test/show off his new ability.

I think the strangest part of my dream is that while they were flying, I rewinded the movie because I thought I saw the Death Egg or Space Colony Ark fly past. I even heard myself saying "Was that the Space Colony Ark?"

Sonic and Shadow fly and glide around the entire world at least once before beginning to land. They were headed for this building in an area that kind of looked like New York, but without all the tall buildings. The building was made of dark, old red bricks, and was either a small apartment or small business. It was on the corner of a street. There was a river next to the building, and further down the river was a big bridge, kind of looked like the Golden Gate bridge.

Sonic and Shadow went to this building to meet up with someone. While I don't know who exactly it was, something was telling me that it was Maria of all people. I believe Maria was helping Sonic and Shadow fight Eggman somehow, I think by being some sort of computer nerd.

Such a strange dream, don't know why I'd dream about Sonic 3 when I barely did anything Sonic related this week.

10. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    A clip from the first episode has appeared and it haves best boy Ozzy.

Some of it's cheesy, yeah, but I love these more casual moments between the characters.

EDIT: Also Paramount posted a "Meet the Cast" video yesterday.

I continue to be excited, it looks like they had a fun time making this show.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
  11. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Since everyone is excited about Keanu Reeves voicing Shadow, have some animations that might give us an idea how he will sound on screen.

12. I love how Sonic is showing results of character development he got from the first two movies.

13. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
  14. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Okay, that reference to Knuckles loving grapes in the end of the second video was a cute and very unexpected throwback...

15. Jason Griffith have reacted to Keanu Reeves being Shadow the Hedgehog:

He liked the ideia.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Kilo

Kilo

That inbetween sprite from S&K's title screen Tech Member
    Canada
    "Dig deep into your darkest place in your soul and speak from there. But not evil, Shadow is more of an anti-hero he's not an Eggman type character, he wants the greatest good but he comes from this place of shadows"
    He sees the vision Shadbros...

17. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

They did that in Sonic 2 and it popped me. Not as much as those kids who freaked out at Shadow.

18. Spamitex

Spamitex

#1 Knuckles Fan Member
    Hey everyone, various Knuckles Show reviews are coming in and I'll showcasing the ones I've seen so far!! The good, the bad, and the chuckles!

- GamesRadar "Knuckles Review: A Confident Trial Run for Sonic 3" - "
    Generally, it’s hard not to shake the feeling that some people simply won’t be the target audience for Knuckles – and that’s OK. The Paramount Plus series is more of the same when compared to its bigger box office brothers. So much so, in fact, that it feels like Sonic 2.5 in places, despite a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it Sonic cameo being one of only a handful of connections to the wider universe.

Still, it’s a light, fun, and relatively safe adventure that manages to flesh out Wade and Knuckles just enough that you’ll be fist pumping a little more when they show up again down the line. In that sense, it’s a job well done and resembles what the MCU originally aimed to do with WandaVision before bloating its line-up with more middling Disney Plus efforts." / 3/5 + Positive!

---

- Lifestyle Critic:
    "While it has moments that lean towards Kids than Adults, overall as a series I cannot recommend it enough as it's Super Enjoyable and really is showing that the Sonic Live Action Universe is just going from strength to strength" - Positive

---

- AV Club:
    "So should you watch Knuckles? If you have no idea who these guys even are, don’t worry too much about missing it—it’s not for non-fans. If you, or your kids, love the Sonicverse, or maybe just enjoyed the previous two movies, go for it. If you can tolerate some product placement-related humor (namely Doritos and T.J. Maxx punchlines) and some eye-roll-inducing jokes with some genuinely hilarious moments mixed in, then dive in. And if you live for nineties nostalgia, there are plenty of Easter eggs to be found here. It’s got some heart, too, which is always good, and unlike its prickly protagonist, it doesn’t take itself too seriously." - (B-) + Positive

---

Tyler Calvert: "...it still is a pretty low stakes Adventure sure I mean there still are some adversaries that do try and take buckles out along the way but I'd still say that this series delves a bit more into the realm of a buddy road trip comedy which could be a little bit jarring for some sign the Hedgehog fans expecting a full-blown Adventure that's similar to the Hedgehog films but by far to no one's surprise the best element to the knuckles TV show is Knuckles himself building off that awesome introduction back inside the Hedgehog to also getting the spotlight all to himself" - Positive

---

- DiscussingFilm:
    "Knuckles may not be the essential connective tissue between the second and third Sonic the Hedgehog movies. What it is, however, is a surprisingly irreverent piece of family fun that makes the case for more Sonic spin-offs or, at the very least, another season. The sense of continuity between the films and show, even having Sonic the Hedgehog 2 cinematographer Brandon Trost back but as a director, makes it feel like a worthwhile canon endeavor. Knuckles should have no trouble satisfying both die-hard fans and younger audiences." - Positive

---

- Nerdtropolis
    "I give the Knuckles series a solid 4.5 out of 5 stars. While I would have liked to see even more action, the show’s impressive visuals, witty writing, and memorable characters more than make up for it. I can’t wait to see where Knuckles’s adventures take him next. And if you’re a fan of bowling, get ready for a strike overload! Catch the show on Paramount+ starting April 26th." - Positive

---

- But Why Though
    "Ultimately, Knuckles isn’t a must watch to prepare for Sonic the Hedgehog 3. However, for fans of Idris Elba’s Knuckles and a feel-good TV series, it’s definitely worth your time. Alongside Wade Whipple, Knuckles finds a new purpose now that his lifelong mission has been completed. With six short episodes, the journey comes equipped with the unserious self-aware comedy that one can expect of the franchise. By the end, it will make think about what home means to you and all the warm feelings that come with it." - 8/10 + Positive

---

- We Got This Covered
    "'Knuckles' embraces the silliness of the 'Sonic the Hedgehog' cinematic universe, wearing it as a badge of honor. As a result, the creative team behind the spinoff can unleash their wildest ideas, turning the series into a wacky road trip that perfectly balances the fun and the feels." - Four Stars + Positive

---

- GamingBible
    "All in all, Knuckles is a show made for fans of the character, and is clearly written, directed, and edited by those same fans. It’s not afraid to embrace the sillier side of Sonic’s world, whilst also nailing those more emotional moments that make up the individual character arcs.

I’d be more than happy to see a second season of the show, or some other spin-offs depending on what characters are added in the next film. All six episodes of Knuckles will drop on Paramount+ on 26 April." - Four Stars + Positive

---

- ComicBook
    "Despite some small issues I had with the show, I found Knuckles to be a delightful new chapter in the ongoing Sonic the Hedgehog Cinematic Universe. What could have been a drawn out movie with a lower budget is instead an absurdly hilarious adventure that adds more depth to a pair of established characters. The music's great, and Adam Pally and Idris Elba might have better chemistry than we even saw between Ben Schwartz and James Marsden. There are bound to be some Sega fans disappointed that the show doesn't feature a bigger threat, or more of a presence from Sonic and friends. We should get both of those things in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 though, and I'm happy that we got something weird and unique to flesh out this universe. Knuckles is not going to be the Sega adaptation anyone is expecting, but it's a wild ride worth taking, especially for fans of the Sonic films." - Four Stars + Positive

---

Josh of Movies:
    "Despite not matching my expectations for a spin-off show being that Knuckles himself would be the central focus, one does have to acknowledge that the creators do not play it safe when it comes to structure, or creative, ridiculously stylish tangents. A bizarre musical moment has some cool video game easter eggs that fans will want to keep an eye out for. One epic fight sequence carries the appearance of a one-shot take, never breaking away from the wallops. Stockard Channing gets in at least one good punch by series end. Additionally, Patty Smyth’s “The Warrior” and those animated credits fit perfectly. Run in the opposite direction from Knuckles if over the age of ten; for the youngsters, the Paramount+ series may be worth more to them than a golden ring." - In the end...Positive

---

Rama's Screen
    "...Knuckles remains a fish out of water so to speak so the jokes are still built around him discovering or learning something new for the very first time from beginning to end but surprisingly it never gets old and Knuckles many many ways of verbally emasculating Wade without purposely trying to do so are hysterical! - Positive

---

Kotaku: ...Well actually they didn't like it, I just don't care what they think so a Negative Review from them is like a Positive Review to me. / Negative but I don't care!

GamesSpot:
    "Barely Knuckled" - "As a continuation of the Sonic the Hedgehog cinematic universe, Knuckles feels slight. It doesn't forward the story in any notable way, there aren't any future-facing Easter eggs or Keanu cameos that I spotted, and Knuckles himself doesn't have much of an arc. He just feels a little more comfortable calling Earth his home. As a generally family-friendly buddy comedy about a lovable loser who gains some confidence, though, Knuckles works pretty well. It goes down smooth and provides some laughs with occasional not-too-violent fight scenes, but it neither attempts nor succeeds in delivering anything more" / Mixed but leaning Positive

---

Paste Magazine:
    "So, is Knuckles any good? It really depends on where you’re coming from. If you’re a genuine fan of the movies and this world, this can be an entertaining side story to fill the gap until the next movie. It takes the time to grow Knuckles and Wade as characters, and there are some fun set pieces and story elements here if you love this franchise. If you’re generally just looking for a good show? That’s where your mileage may vary, because the story itself is threadbare and a bit forced." / 6/10 Mixed but leaning Positive

- APIT
    "...The biggest complaint is that it isn’t really a Knuckles story. We barely touch the surface of the character and his new motivations now that he’s living on Earth. There isn’t much growth, and he’s pretty much the same person but with one new friend. He plays second fiddle in his own series.

Much of the emotional weight comes from Whipple’s journey in growing his confidence, overcoming his family issues, and finding his inner warrior. That would be okay if the show was called Whipple, but it’s not. He’s not the reason people want to tune in no matter how amiable Pally tries to be. Speaking of Pally, he’s fine in the role, but it’s a little disappointing considering he’s had more charming turns as the lovable sidekick in previous roles." / Mixed but leaning Negative

---

- GameInformer
    "Knuckles Show Review – A Low-Stakes Climb" - "Despite its sometimes fun and heartfelt moments, it feels entirely inessential. Video game adaptations have an outdated reputation for being bad. Knuckles isn't outright bad, but when compared to its contemporaries like Fallout, The Last of Us, Twisted Metal, The Super Mario Bros. Movie, and even Sonic the Hedgehog 2, it feels like a video game adaptation from a bygone era." / Mixed but leaning Negative

Kotaku: ...Didn't like it, but I don't give them views! / Negative

---

Looper:
    "...After the false security of the first couple of episodes, which feature the return of Sonic and Tails (Colleen O'Shaughnessey) in addition to prominent antagonists who wouldn't be out of place in the movies, the show deviates from the fantasy universe almost entirely to tell a story about a man's fractured relationship with his father. It's genuinely a shock to discover that John Whittington, a co-screenwriter on the second movie, is the co-creator here, due to how much it feels like the work of a disgruntled writer working the system to get their unproduced screenplay made via the back door." / Negative

OVERALL:

[​IMG]

POSITIVE: 12

MIXED YET POSITIVE: 2

MIXED YET NEGATIVE: 2

NEGATIVE: 2

12/18 GOOD, 14/18 LIKED, 4/18 DISLIKED

Despite it all, it seems we got oursevles a case of being a surprisingly liked series. I mean if the first 20 or so reviews go to show anything here! Oddly enough this is a better turn out that Critic Scores for the Mario Movie, can't say I was prepared for that! Perhaps I seemed biased towards Knuckles, but overall I gave you the end sum here. What can I say!

Well if you want MY input on the matter, there's mainly 3 ways you can go about all this.

If you end up watching it and liking Knuckles & Wade, you're in for a great time!

If you end up watching it and liking just Knuckles, you're in for a alright experience

If you end up watching it and really hate...or still hate Wade, perhaps you should sit this out and wait for Movie 3!

So sure it'll vary but ultimately this is a show that seems to be well...appreciated oddly enough! Or at least loved for the comedy!

---

That being said, I do not think this show will go well with Sonic fans. Namely the Twitter side of the fanbase, so if you're involved or engage in Sonic Twitter. I would HIGHLY advise avoiding that subgroup of the fandom for the time being. Unless their discourse doesn't bother you, proceed with caution for the time being. This is gonna be rough for them, but great for everyone else. (There was another positive 7/10 review on Twitter, but I DO NOT wanna go back there RIGHT NOW so if you trust my word, add +1 to the Positive Review score)

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Knuckles debuted with 83% on Rotten Tomatos:
    [​IMG]

20. Spamitex

Spamitex

#1 Knuckles Fan Member
    I don't usually focus on RT Scores but...WHAT?