don't click here

Sonic X Shadow Generations announced, releases Autumn 2024

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by charcoal, Jan 29, 2024.

1. Kilo

Kilo

That inbetween sprite from S&K's title screen Tech Member
    Canada
    It says the reason for it's rating is fantasy violence, no mentions of language. So no.

2. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    SHADOWBROS.... ITS OVER

3. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Damn, not here.

4. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Where's that DAMN T rating?

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    An actual serious answer - left behind at about the point Sega realised they'd lose the majority of sales because kids wouldn't be able to play it =P

6. That's implying that has ever stopped kids before.

7. Kilo

Kilo

That inbetween sprite from S&K's title screen Tech Member
    Canada
    Yeah Sega should now realize that parents do not care about the ESRB rating and will openly buy M rated games for their 8 year olds. I work in an electronics department, and I'll warn parents that games like GTA aren't for their kid that's begging for it, but they simply do not care. Make a T rated Sonic game and it will sell the same.

8. I had strict parents - T was never a problem. It was just M games that I couldn't get until I was like 13 or so. The only time this truly bothered me was when they changed the Oblivion rating to M after the unused nipple texture was discovered lol. I tried and tried but couldn't change my mom's mind in the slightest.

9. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Nah, I agree with this. People underestimate how young kids can be when they get these games and while, yes, a lot of parents don't GAF about T rated games, enough would that it'd still potentially hurt sales.

Meanwhile, I doubt there'd be a single person here who would not buy the game because Shadow isn't cursing.

Sonic games being colorful and family friendly is still okay with us all even though we're all old dudes/dudettes/nonbinaries now...

10. CharlaChale

CharlaChale

Little Dolly Member
    My bestest friend in the whole wide world, when he was but a little thing, was barred from getting Super Smash Bros. Brawl due to its T rating. Poor guy missed out on all the wet floors.

11. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    unplayable

12. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    1. Several Sonic games after ShTH were rated E10+ including 06, Black Knight, Forces, and Frontiers.
    2. This is Sonic, so one needs cursing and having a higher rating won't make it sell better
    3. There are still parents who will pass on a game with language. Especially if there are other options which there are now.

I remember having to explain to my parents that Melee's T rating didn't make it more mature than the original SSB. They did end up getting it for me, but I had to convince them that it wasn't mortal kombat.

13. I was brought up in an Irish Catholic family and still to this day can't swear in front of mum, but my mum hadn't the 1st clue about videogames or what ratings meant and would buy whatever game I asked for and rent me the likes of Cobra down the VHS store, those were the days

I doubt many families won't buy a game because of teen ratings in this day and age and where social media is far more of a worry and influence

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    There's a lot of American-specific thinking going on here as well - just because the ESRB isn't enforced legally, doesn't mean all country's rating systems aren't.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  15. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Is that true? Can a parent not purchase a T-rated game for a child in Europe?

16. They enforce it outside of America? News to me.

17. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Crash 4 had mild profanity and was still rated E10+ in the US but ended up as 12+ in the UK. The last Sonic game to be 12+ was Black Knight in 2009. A Generations remaster + Shadow content is already guaranteed to sell well so why risk losing a wider demographic?

Sonic was always marketed as the edgy alternative to Mario, but even still I don't think SEGA are ever going to go full Shadow '05 ever again, especially considering how super kid friendly the Sonic films are.

Still... maybe one day Sonic will say "crap"...

18. CharlaChale

CharlaChale

Little Dolly Member
    I'm certain you meant in the games, but a win's a win.

Attached Files:

19. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    RETVRN TO KINO
    upload_2024-4-18_15-23-23.jpeg

20. I would say so, most shops in the UK barely enforce the age limit on cigarettes and that's to overlook how few games shops are left around in the UK, most either buy games online, even for physical games or just have mum and dad to pick the game up for them and since most parents have no issues buying their kids the latest COD game. I doubt they're going to put their foot down over a Sonic game.