don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    More like Sonic Sweeperstars amirite

2. KaiGCS

KaiGCS

I did need that, thanks!

Also the new update fixed the boss skips for Sky Temple and Golden Capital 2. I didn't know how to do the other skips, but I imagine they're fixed too.

3. My day has been ruined.

4. KaiGCS

KaiGCS

I don't mind Sky Temple so much, that boss is fun! (At least now that I've modded it so "late game boss" plays in every Act 2 boss encounter, haha.)

But I'd learned to skip the Fang fight with intent. :V

5. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Call of Duty immediately hitting #1 like

[​IMG]

6. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    It wasn't fixed on Xbox. Dunno about PS4/5 but I figure if nothing in the nearly 9GB patch my Xbox just downloaded fixed it, nothing changed in that regard across the board. This is just how the higher end console versions are going to be I guess.

7. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

I got the comic skins! The entire game should’ve been in this art style.

8. JackBz

JackBz

My sister bought me this for Christmas so I finally played it. Finished the whole game as Sonic and honestly...I loved it! Very little negative to say. My favourite Sonic game since Mania and if Mania didn't exist it'd be my favourite since Sonic Adventure 2. I thought it looked great, controlled wonderfully, and had buckets of charm. I really like Trip, the giant animals, everyone's animations, how the character specific acts have more emphasis on story etc.

Sonic CD is my favourite classic sonic game (or 3k depending on my mood) and I loved the level design in this. I was having a blast just exploring every nook and cranny. I thought they did a really good job with some of the minor level gimmicks, like the cubes in Sky Temple that extend out when you stand on them. I also never expected a sonic level to remind me of Braid (Egg Fortress zone act 2).

Sadly the game does have a noticeably stronger first half. I had read how much of a chore the bosses are and they are often a low point, but the emerald powers can at times completely obliterate them which was fun. The only bosses I had to face more than twice were the fight against your robot character and the final boss. The former sucked, but the latter was honestly enjoyable despite it taking me a few goes.

I played it entirely on steam deck and the experience was flawless except for the fact that oddly the speed shoes really kill the game's framerate. Same with using Super Sonic. I think it might have something to do with the transparent Sonic duplicates.

I played Sonic Colors for the first time (via Ultimate) a week ago and THAT game...I really did not enjoy at all to my surprise, and this game in comparison was a delight.

9. Zigetch

Zigetch

Enjoy this world~ Member
    Georgia
    Something I've been thinking about lately, after listening to Sky Temple again; it's apparently composed by Jun Senoue and doesn't sound like it was arranged by anyone else, so why does it sound do much more developed than his other songs in the game that have his usual instrumentation? Some of his songs that sound like Sonic 4 actually have the bass that sounds like the original games while others simply dont. Why are there so many different composers, like maybe more than any other Sonic game off the top of my head? How come some of Jun's tracks were rearranged by others while some simply weren't? What did Tee Lopes mean when he referred to composing for the game in its "current form"?

And lastly, why isn't there a peep from Sega about any official OST release?

I just find the game's soundtrack scenario interesting.

10. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    If the internal file structure is anything to go by, it was actually arranged by Rintaro Soma. It's grouped together with his other contributions, I've labelled them here:

upload_2023-12-23_12-40-40.png

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • List
  11. Zigetch

Zigetch

Enjoy this world~ Member
    Georgia
    Oh nice! Yeah it does make sense he'd arranged it, some of the instrumentation does remind me of Lagoon City come to think of it.

12. Additionally, Amy’s spin jump/double jump behaves normally now in the fruit bonus acts. Originally, in the fruit bonus acts, Amy’s hammer would NOT have its motion blur in the air, nor would her hammer come out at all when she charged her Hammer Rush in the air. This has all been fixed

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Superstars is part of Nintendo's "Hits for the Holidays" sales promotion:
    IMG_9098.jpeg
    Worth noting the other three games sold over a million on Switch, if I'm not mistaken.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  14. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I almost think my desire to play Superstars is now stronger than my desire to wait until I have a PS5 to play Superstars so that I have the best graphics possible.

15. Felik

Felik

that's a funny way to say PC

16. ChilliusVGM

ChilliusVGM

Aspiring Musician Member
    A few pages late to the call on this one, but hi, that's my video lol

A bit I'm gonna say about the video and where my feet are standing in regards to it is that it's not really that serious in terms of critiquing the game and it was really just me seeing how a game said to 'look like a 3DS game' would really feel at the resolution of the 3DS (plus, with all the graphics settings in the game set to their lowest). The title is only that statement because it's a quote from a friend which also evoked me to make the video, and not directly what I think, I'm more in the board that Superstars evokes the feeling of a 3DS/Mobile game with how it's presented but it's very clearly past that generation in graphical fidelity; which I think is just okay.

I think where I lie on Superstars is less on graphics and more on direction with the art and stage setpieces, I won't go too into detail since I don't really feel like typing up long paragraphs about it right this second, but I feel like the setpieces and stage art is sometimes in line with what you'd expect from a Classic Sonic game and then sometimes it's just really weak and uninteresting among everything else.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  17. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    So Egg Fortress Zone Act 1's music is short. Banger, but short. But reading around people have been asking themselves how to expand it. Like do you add more notes to make a new melody? Right now it is just a "A" (almost like a backing track) and a "B" that comes at the end in a dramatic way. Then I realized. You know what has that in spades but managed to stretch itself out to not feel repetitive each time? The MJ Ice Cap Zone music.

You could arrange it as AAB ABB. Egg Fortress Zone Act 1's intro is only played once, you could extend that as a full "A" instead of the tiny "A" it becomes in the regular song.

18. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Been playing Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe on Switch lately; game makes me realize how much more visual and audio polish we were robbed of in Superstars. It's such a shame cuz the game has a strong art style and great physics, but it looks and sounds unfinished in many areas. :/

One day we will get a good Sonic game that's complete on release! I am sure of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  19. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    • List
  20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness