don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    You really think so? I feel like Sonic's super slippery in the 3DS version.

Although part of my issue may simply be that I can't tell what's going on because of the camera. That and the really narrow pathways and the fact that you're always over a pit. I swear this game suffers from almost the exact same design flaws as Sonic Heroes, only difference now is that we're grown up and can see it's faults.

2. ArrYaReadyKids

ArrYaReadyKids

The Cave of Wonders
    Scruffy The Beginning
    Let me put it like this:
    Windy Hill Act 1 and the Tutorial levels are the only really well designed levels.
    The rest of Windy Hill and Desert Ruins are ok aside from the 2D sections being way too zoomed in and those goddamn sandworms.

Tropical Coast is where it stops pulling punches and also the really weird puzzle levels start appearing.

I will say the bosses are better than in the Wii U version but you can still kill them in a matter of seconds if you know what you're doing!

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'll go back to most Sonic games whether I want to 100% them or not, simply because I can get some sort of enjoyment out of them. Unleashed Wii, Gens 3DS, '06, Black Knight, Chronicles... But SLW 3DS? Not gonna happen. It's just not fun on any level.

4. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I'll throw in that Sonic 2006 became fun when you actively sought to abuse the game's many glitches. And boy, are there some fun ones without any effort... clipping through walls with Silver to skip whole sections, Sonic's whole gem system...

Nothing much for Shadow. He's kinda just there.

Still a terrible game, but it has its moments when you just want to rock the already unstable code.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This is a good point. Sonic 06 is mainly bad as it's horribly programmed and buggy. This game isn't bad control wise and there is not much that's abusable. It's just no fun. Sonic 06 is like 'The Room' of Sonic games. It's so bad it's good, especially when drinking. Lost World 3DS is like... hmm can't think of a good movie (for me it's Master and Commander). But it's just not fun.

EDIT: I realize I post my negative opinions about this game often. I simply want to save everyone from the horror. Want a good 3DS game? Super Mario 3D Land, Mario and Luigi 4, Animal Crossing, the new Zelda, anything. Avoid this like the plague.

6. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    Your frustration is understandable though, Dark Sonic. I already stated my blunt and hateful thoughts just that once a while back and then everyone eventually got with the program. I don't know what is to become of Sonic if the fans can't find any fun in him.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I even slightly enjoy the Wii U version though. Granted, not sure if I'd recommend it, but I wouldn't tell people to avoid it. But both of these games share the same issue in that they tried to win over fans from a better series to a series that's far more mediocre. I love Sonic, I'll easily look past many faults. I can't do that as easily this game. So why would some other person who loves a more polished, better series, want to play something that's top tier mediocre (or terrible if you play the 3DS version)?

I hope this game fails. Both versions. The Wii U version may be less offensive but they aim for the wrong audience. Never try to win over Mario fans again. Win over Sonic fans, all the Sonic fans, and create a common bond in this fan base.

8. Machenstein

Machenstein

I don't entirely follow. What's top tier mediocre here, Lost World or the Colors and Generations duology? If Sonic was already mediocre before Lost World, why wouldn't Sega try to lure fans from a more critically acclaimed series by imitating elements from that series. It's obvious what logic Sega was using here. People kept saying for years "why can't Sonic be like that nice boy Mario" and Sega just inadvertently gave us the answer. Sega finally decided to cave in to all of these Mario people, and as a result, everyone now realizes that Sonic is better off just being Sonic.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think the biggest problem here is that they had finally redeemed most of Sonic's past mediocrity with Generations*, and that they should have finished refining that formula before trying something entirely new.

*Console version, not 3DS.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm talking about lost world. Generations and colors weren't trying to copy Mario. They were their own games and far better for it. Lost world tries to copy Mario and fails at it. Imitation only works if they do a good job at it. This game is sadly to the Mario series as bubsy was to classic sonic.

Yep, I just went there. This game is bubsy.

11. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    I'd actually argue that Generations was pretty much the peak of where the Boost gameplay could go without turning it into something entirely different.

Though, really, even if they had continued with the boost gameplay, Sonic Team probably would've fucked it up with their inability to do anything without devoting half the game to an entirely different style of gameplay due to their ridiculous paranoia. That was what really caused Lost World to fumble, not its core gameplay. If they actually focused on designing every level around the core gameplay, the game would've been much more positively received. The focus on feeling too much like a Mario game didn't help, either, but still.

It's seriously frustrating that Sonic Team had something fantastic going with the parkour stuff and they didn't go nearly far enough with it. Well, it's a start, but I seriously want to see some Prince of Persia shenanigans in the next game. I'm glad that they got away from the boost gameplay, but this new formula needs serious refinement, even if it's the direction they should've gone in years ago.

12. Machenstein

Machenstein

Bubsy was notoriously difficult, so I can't say I disagree there. Bubsy would've been pretty good had it not been for the instant deaths. Personally, I think Socket would be a better parallel to use since that game wasn't particularly bad, just mediocre.

Back on topic, I think the parkour mechanics should stay, the levels just need to be more grounded and less derivative of Mario Galaxy.

13. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I more or less agree, but I think the parkour mechanics as well as all of Sonic's movement needs major tweaking done next time around.

Sonic should build momentum as he runs like previous games, and that should be his primary movement. The alternate speed should his walking speed for precise platforming. I'm fine with the spindash how it operates here.

Parkour is functionally sound, but I feel it needs revision and refinement to make movement more natural and less mechanical. But as you stated, it's the level design that's the real detractor here.

14. Machenstein

Machenstein

That sounds good right now, but that might throw off players by the time the next 3D Sonic game comes out. It's like how the homing attack was mapped to the boost button in Unleashed. To turn the run button into a "slow down" button might screw with our muscle memory after playing Lost World for a year or two. I'd just simplify the control scheme a bit. I would just turn the run button into a parkour button that is just for parkour only. Sonic's default speed would be his running speed, but his acceleration would be slow enough for precise platforming.

15. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Found this while digging threw the hord of Sonic X-treme concept art that I have... And Oh boy and doesn't this guy look familiar?
    [​IMG]

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya, it's the wall badnik from Launch Base in Sonic 3 that's also in Windy Hill right?

I guess it does curl into a ball in this game though.

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Depending on the location, it also curls up and rolls after Sonic in Lost World too. Try it out on FF1 or WH2.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    HNNNG Yesss all S ranks in the Wii U version. I got to the end of Lava Mountain Act 3 like 7 times and kept dying at that last part. Infuriating.

Also I'm never playing that snowball level again. Anyways, just got to farm some more animals to max out the coop machine stats and then I will be 100% done with the Wii U version of this game. Making some headway in the 3DS version though. Most S ranks in the main stages and all the red rings. Playing through hard mode but ughhh it's just so boring.

19. Well, my review should be done uploading in four hours, maybe less.

Since some others have posted links to their reviews (well, at least written ones), I just feel like asking ahead of time... would you guys be all right with me posting a link to my review here, or will that just piss people off for some reason?

20. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    So the main question with the answer likely being "Jack squat" is, "Do you get anything for all S Ranks?"

Ranks are almost trivial these days.