don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    :objection:
    from: http://www.droidgamers.com/index.php/game-news/android-game-news/3359-gdc-2012-hands-on-preview-of-sonic-4-episode-ii-for-tegra-3-android-devices

I don't see them randomly changing the layouts of two of the special stages in a different version, so it looks like there will be unlockable stages.

2. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Wasn't Advance 1 built from 3&K's engine or something along those lines? That meaning, Sonic 4's engine is using a bastard, ravaged 3&K engine in some way? :psyduck: Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Whatever its original point was, it ended up not being retro in the least.

Unless you consider Sonic Rush "retro", that is.... =P

4. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I'm pretty sure the Android "bonus stages" will be exactly like how the iOS version of Episode 1 kept the minecart and pinball challenge acts as exclusive "bonus stages".

5. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    They weren't a bonus because they replaced the full stages from the console versions.

6. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od_00nFyK9U&feature=player_embedded

At 2:28, that looping looks really stiff.

7. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    Don't crush my dreams.

8. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
  9. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Not that I know of. I don't think that would be possible. I'm shite at tech, but I would imagine that a physics engine built on the Mega Drive wouldn't translate well in its raw format on the GameBoy Advance. I've always just thought that they studied the original games well and created something incredibly similar.

10. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

11. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    God the entire second half of that level is filled with pits.

"No see it's cool guys we have signs now that makes it okay right :specialed:"

12. Felik

Felik

Ken: Sonic no longer will uncurl > at the same moment video shows sonic hitting a speedbooster, turns into a ball and uncurls a second after

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ken: Momentum based gameplay > Sonic going across a homing attack chain

14. Lambda

Lambda

I don't believe that it is. I mean, it's POSSIBLE. Half-Life 2 runs off he Quake engine, and Modern Warfare 2 ran off of the Doom engine...

But, I don't think that that'd work. The two games are very different animals running on very different hardware.

15. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I know it was Ken's job before to sugar coat things, but it's really nice to hear PR finally speak more truthfully about the important things. He just got a bit more respect from me, as did Sonic 4 Episode 2.

16. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Figures the music is muted for the video. <_< Unless of course the song that was played in the video is in the game, but that sounds unlikely.

17. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    RE: Advance built off 3&K's engine

Yeah, did some looking around and I was dead wrong on that. Sorry. Could have sworn I read that somewhere on this forum at some point, but perhaps the post was just covered with subtle sarcasm, or they themself did not know what they were talking about. Anywhoo, didn't mean to make a nonexistent point. I'll stop with the off-topic posts now.

18. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    They addressed my major gripes with Episode 1 except for keeping speed boosters. I think I might buy this, knowing that SOMEONE's bound to remove them.

Also I don't know why you idiots complain about bottomless pits. I happen to like them, provided they are large and have a bunch of moving/static platforms above them, rather than just a big hole.

19. I hate bottomless pits in Sonic games. The whole bottomless pit thing doesn't really work very well with Sonic's gameplay style. You're sitting there, running really fast and then boom, instant-death from bottomless pit. It also shows a somewhat lack of creativity, as in the designer doesn't really know what to put there, so he throws in a bunch of bottomless pits. Now I'm not saying all bottomless pits are a bad thing, but over-saturation, in a Sonic game especially, definitely is.

20. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Sonic Rushs' engine isn't built off the Advance engine. Advance games were written in assembly, and the Rush engine in C+ if I recall.

They were talking about what SEGA will do for Sonic 4 Ep 3, Sonic 5, or whatever 2D Sonic game dishes out next.