don't click here

What is Sonic Team doing?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scartillery, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Yep. The hedgehog engine can't be supported by the Wii. Not sure how "toning it down" would work though.

Also, didn't the guy who lead development of the hedgehog engine, leave to Square Enix or some shit. I'm not sure, but that may put some brakes on the "reuse hedgehog engine" plan.

2. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    They could always use one of Nintendo's old engines, if they ask nicely. :v:

3. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I don't have very high hopes... Remember what they did for his 15th birthday? Sonic Genesis on GBA.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Remember what they did for his 10th birthday? Sonic Adventure 2. I think they'll pull something we'll enjoy.

5. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    You know what would be great for Sonic's 20th?

<div align='center'>Knuckles the Echidna Classic Collection. </div>
    <div align='center'>Featuring such classics as Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Knuckles in Sonic 2, as well as fresh faces like Knuckles in Sonic 1 and Sonic CD & Knuckles. :v: </div>

But really, I'd like to hope that they're working on a 3D game that won't be unnecessarily dragged down by easily avoidable flaws, but then I'd just be jumping right back on the hope hype train to FUCKYOUSEGA-ville.

It'd be pretty cool if Sonic 4 gets a disc release just in time.

6. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    I doubt that one guy holds the rights to the engine. It might take some doing for them to know the ins and outs of programming with it depending on how involved he was in that compared to everyone else, but I doubt that's the case.

They have a spectacular proprietary engine custom-tailored to Sonic games, and they're damn well going to use it. Pity their plans to possibly license it out to other developers seem not to have gone anywhere as of yet, but such is life.

7. Ben Laserlove

Ben Laserlove

I could dig the interview out if someone wants a source, but if I remember correctly, a member from Sega told an interviewer while fans absolutely hated the Werehog in Unleashed, kids thought it was the best part of the game (how he got this information, I don't know), so he said Sega was going to make a more hardcore Sonic game as DLC (Sonic 4), and a more kid-friendly Sonic game, so they didn't mash up their audiences like in Unleashed.

So yeah, Sonic Adventure 3 could be true, because they could fit in all sorts of furries in there. The kids will eat it up. The rest of us will probably NOT like it.

8. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Of course the kids liked the Werehog more. It was easy and mindless. The difficulty level of the Day Stages is much higher, which doesn't do the pacing issues any favors.

Although, DLC, "Downloadable CONTENT," is not the same as a downloadable game. Make sure you're sure which term he used, so you're sure exactly what he was referring to.

9. Volpino

Volpino

Kids will take anything that looks like it came out of a movie they're probably too young to even watch, IMO. That's what's wrong with video games today, IMO.

Now I'm curious how furries were suddenly associated with kids. Kids today don't give a shit about animals like they did ten years ago, it's all about blowing shit up with miniguns and mindless, pointless humor that looks suited for teens more than kids now. If SEGA wants to appeal to kids with their next Sonic game, just give him muscles, a pack of smokes, a giant ass gun, a cool car and camo pants and make all his levels revolve around GTA style gimmicks and they're set.

10. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I think I heard rumors of a Heroes 2.

11. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    [​IMG]
    They did.

12. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

The ironic thing is, they were actually trying to appeal to older audiences with that tripe.

13. Volpino

Volpino

I forgot about Shadow. (It's easy to do.)

Then I'm surprised kids didn't eat it up. Good news is, SEGA won't try it again, hopefully.

14. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Man I wish I had time to fucking color this. Maybe tomorrow.
    [​IMG]
    I call it: Sonic the Hedgehog(2006) 2.

15. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I would love to see Adventure 3. A proper one of course, not 2006. Given they have ample time to make the game this time around, it would be a crime to mess it up.

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    So E3 is next month. If Sonic Team is working on something big for Sonic's 20th anniversary, it might be announced there.

17. Iceguy

Iceguy

グー! Member
    Hell. It's in my head.
    Internal system recovery
    If Big starts rolling and gets enough momentum...

...fuck.

I should come to Retro more often. xD

18. Volpino

Volpino

That'll never happen. Sonic's not 'cool' anymore.

If they make Sonic an FPS, I'm done. I've sat through Shadow and tried to like '06 and I've beaten Heroes and hyped about a Sonic RPG that ended up being disappointing because it wasn't like Zelda or freeform and I've even tried the Wii titles, but I cannot abide Sonic as an FPS. I hate shooters enough already.

God damn it SEGA if you're working on something, don't fuck it up this time.

19. You are SO wrong
    Sonic is REALLY popular amoung young kids over here in the Uk and Europe. Its a similar situation in the USA aswell, considering the number of fanboys/girls on youtube.
    Whilst Sonic isn't an FPS. It is a well respected franchise. Most of my friends happily reminisce at how good the games used to be.

In any case, his popularity/coolness isn't up for debate. We know he's popular and cool, because otherwise, Shadow, Sonic 2K6, Sonic Unleashed, wouldn't have sold by the bucket loads.

What IS up for debate, is the quality of his games. Now, whilst they may not be technically good, some portions of them are really quite fun.
    What needs to be worked on, is the games, NOT his image.

20. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Wow. I agree with Volpino. :psyduck:

Sonic has always been a platform game. Sure, there are spinoffs, but half of the time they take their name from another character in the universe, and the other half they are somewhat based on the original platforming. A Sonic FPS just wouldn't work at all, unless you played as Fang in a Silent Scope-esque game. However, in that case, it'd only be Fang, and only loosely based in the Soniverse, so it shouldn't bear the "Sonic" title.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.