don't click here

Zone 01 : "The Mandatory Green Level"

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Vaiyt

Vaiyt

Oglio p'ru çeu Member
    Sounds like a nice idea. Might be a good way to make the level less generic.

2. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
  3. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    It's a nice idea, but the Sand that you walk on clashes way too much with the sand in the background. Also, the blue shading on the rocks look a bit out of place againsted the rest of the level, but other than that it's a really nice transistion from the normal look of the level.

Me and my friend did this, but he says that the shading of the rocks need redoing:

[​IMG]

4. fifthelephant

fifthelephant

I never did the rocks or the background, I haven't changed them from what is on page 1. Not much work has been done on foliage and decorative sprites yet. I'm more concerned about how to get this to transition from the sand to the grass/dirt bits (and I fear that it would be better suited to the original work rather than the redo).

5. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Meh, I was just pointing it out, that's all.

6. RamiroR

RamiroR

I like it, I like the concept, with many palm trees it will be lovely :P
    , mm, thinking about palm trees, gave me an idea, coco's falling from them over sonic =P

7. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    That sand is pretty sexy, love the secondary forms adding some depth there.

One suggestion, though. Looks flat as hell, add some lighting at the top, to suggest that it's an actual form.

8. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Why not have patches of quicksand around the level, in which some lead to other routes, others kill Sonic? Those that kill could be a little darker than those that lead to alternate routes.

9. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Well if we are following the Sonic Cliché the first level tends to be a straight forward "From A to B" type level, with just Spikes and Badniks that are the only really threat.

10. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
  11. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    This one actually stayed on track aside from 2 pages. GG guys.

However, let's try to keep the discussion in this thread mainly about the look of the level. Any badniks, level layouts, and other shit should be discussed in a separate thread. They'll be up in a few minutes.

To bring you up to speed, we're currently at this stage in the level art.

[​IMG]

Shit's pretty spot on, but it still looks a bit too much like all the other first levels we've seen in the games. Try spicing it up a bit like throwing a hot pink or some shit. I'll be back with my own contributions after I split it into tiles and cut the colors.

12. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Continuing from the Overview thread, I just want to state my simple opinion of this level..

The background is based on Sonic CD, and we've seen that already. There's no reason a real new Sonic game would actually use the exact same thing over again. That water also is taken from Chaotix, plus the sun is from Oil Ocean I guess. Of course, those may just be there for mock up purposes...I'm not entirely clear. But still, the fact remains, that background is Sonic CD. Why would the exact same thing be used again?

Going by how I've seen people express their opinion on previous examples for various parts of this game by stating "it's supposed to be what Sega would have done if a new Sonic game had been made back then", I fail to see why this is just sitting here as acceptable still.

It's just a fangame still anyway....

13. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Everything in the foreground on the mockup posted is original. The background isn't, we're not blind. It'll be attended too. Right now, the issues are stillt he main ground tiles. We get that out of the way and then we can make a pretty background to go with it.

Tackle one thing at a time people.

14. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

Sonic Retro (Artwork team)
    [​IMG]

I fixed that palm tree trunk, what I made back then.

15. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Meh, I think that it looks like Sonic Triple Trouble and Chaotix had a bastard child together

16. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

[​IMG]

Ok, There is view of zone whitout bacground and using only rika's original art.
    I still think, that we should just use this art. I cant explain, but somehow this feel right.
    Even without much detail, it looks great.

I don't want sound lazy, but I think, taht this is fine.

17. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Yes, please, keep the old art.

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
  19. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
  20. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

Nice start muteKi. I have heard those before in music topic.
    I actually like them lot, but it neet lot of work to fit in sonic game.

You need add more instruments.
    Example, 00:25 - 00:38 try bells or steel drums.

Also, melody is too simple.

About acts. I don't recognize similar parts beetween them.
    Act 2 need to be good remix of act 1.

I think they are too long songs to remember. Theyre not very memorable.

Thats how I think.