don't click here

Original Project Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Why not just call it Sonic the Hedgehog 4?

I don't see the reason why not.

2. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    Because even if Sega is laughing at us with their games, We shant not spit on their face AND risk Sega going Square Enix on us.

THAT, and Sonic Adventure Zero sounds alot better.

/me plugs his own name for the game.

3. We could call it Sonic Blast 7. :P

*Shot*

4. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    Sonic The Hedgehog World Adventure Rush 3D Blast Rivals.

5. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Well, there's certainly room for an act 2/3 version of the level.

6. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    That's another thing. Are we going to be using 2 Acts? Or 3 Acts? Both are surely possible, and the latter would add value to the game, but the prior would be alot easier. And if we used the latter, what would happen with mid bosses? Would they simply be moved to act 2, as let act one be a normal act?

7. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

As regards titles: "The Sonic Age"? Because 360 sure as heck didn't make us 'enter the Sonic age'. :p

I think the 3 acts - normal, miniboss, proper boss is a fantastic idea, although it'll take more work.

8. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    There's no E XD Just Shad.

Now I see why Shade gets so annoyed.

9. Chronoja

Chronoja

I stand by my title of Sonic the Hedgehog Forever....!! :)

Also, 2 acts. Sonic may be a fast character but you need to maintain the illusion of speed and keep the player hooked with the feeling of fast progress throughout the game.

2 acts, midbosses and end bosses. Acts completable within 2 - 5 mins depending on exploration. Its worked nothing but wonders for the previous games. Theres nothing I hate more about the newer games like heroes is running through 2 levels after one another both nearly idently each lasting nearly 10 mins (Im no speed runner) that ends up of me 20 mins bored and thankful that the level is over. Not the way it should be. I regularly load up S3K when I'm bored just to blitz through Hyrdocity or Flying Battery cause its just quick and fun

10. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    God, I go away for a week and a shitload of material appears. And there were people thinking the community died after the days of Nemesis and co.

But yeah, as long as it doesn't end up forgotten or scrapped, go for it, why not.

11. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    So is everyone cool with Phoeb's team choices?

12. zeldrak

zeldrak

Character Designer (NOT Sonic Related) Member
    Portugal
    Contributions for Sonic Sequel
    I'm cool with it.

13. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    I really hate prequels :)

14. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    What the fuck are you talking about?

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'll be happy to help with this as much as my online time allows me to.

16. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    I just really hate the attitude that this needs to be set pre-adventure. Classic Sonic is about the feel, the graphics and the gameplay and the imaginative levels, not about when it's set. It seems clear to me people don't care so much about the spirit of the clssic games as being reactionary fanboys rejecting the possibilty of bringing the franchise back on track.

The Adventure games matured the series somewhat and explained a lot of things. You don't have to include Rouge, Shadow, Maria, Big the Cat and all that. All you're doing is unnecessarily throwing away the backstory of the Chaos Emeralds and Angel Island, Robotnik's heritage, and the heritage/development/ambiguity Robotnik gained.

I just can't get the mentality behind this. You can have a game done in a classic style that takes those games into account. You can regress the designs since they're mostl art style choices. You're forgetting what made the orginal games good. It wasn't the inclusion of generic levels and having simple plots. It was to do with style and feeling. Setting it post SA2 means you're starting from a recoverable point, but still have to use actual creativity in bringing it back to it's roots without throwing away 2 good games that deserve their place in the series canon.

I don't care if I'm outvoted on this, I just wish someone would listen to this line of reasoning. Sonic Adventure 0 just sounds obnoxious, especially given Adventure made it clear a lot of the characters hadn't seen each other in some time. If you're really into making this have a classic feel, it doesn't matter what it takes into account. You have more story possibilities available to you and can run with the ideas brought up in the Adventure games in a classic context(or not).

17. personally, I think the sonic sprites could use some work, especially with the shading. why not something more like this, if you are looking for something 32x-esque with the shading

[​IMG]

18. Yes, I'll gladly be on the art/sketches team.

Count me in Phoebius!

And yeah, I like the name "Sonic the Hedgehog Forever" too.

Amen to this. I don't want to be "thankful the level is over", and in the newer games where the levels last upwards of 10 minutes, I have had that feeling.

19. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    Fuck the Adventure series.

20. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I sort of agree with Wetflame's sentiments that you don't have to make a story before Sonic Adventure for it to be good. For all we know, the classic games took place on the same planet but on distant islands (South Island, Westside Island, Angel Island, etc). Why can't the premise of the game be that, somehow, Sonic travels back to these lands in order to establish the surreal environment of the game? It's not too far-fetched of a concept.

Remember that if you want a Sonic 4, that's what Sonic Adventure is, you know—a direct sequel to Sonic 3. Yeah, it doesn't explain how you got into the new environment, but neither did the old games. It just... happens.

I think a good premise for the game could be that we're taking Sonic Adventure's story bases and sort of warping them to be a bit more of a traditional Sonic platformer. And remember, the story will have no dialogue at all... so why get worked up about where the game takes place?

Thanks for your totally constructive and helpful reply!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.