Sonic Adventure DX (Preview) Discussion

Discussion in 'Prototype Discussion' started by Sazpaimon, Feb 24, 2008.

1. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Actually, this prototype is still smaller than the final version. But I see your point, since most of the files that were added for the final were files for the Mission mode (game gear games, the music, the new chao music/textures/system, the missions, etc).

There's still things that they've kept in DX that they should've removed since they weren't planning (or were they?) on using the downloadable content from the Dreamcast version. Such as the Palmtree Panic music (for the New Years event), Super Sonic Racing theme (used for downloadable kart racing files), etc.

Can you believe that in this prototype, there's only one .pvr file (action_11), and no .prs files, and in the final there are no .pvr files and 15 .prs files? I really do think there's something in this build that we won't be able to find anywhere else for the moment.

2. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Everything you've said is probably right.
    First of all, the .REL files are bigger because they all contain the debug strings and code. I dumped the object lists posted above from the .REL files for the areas. These same .rel files in the final do not have these object lists inside them, I've checked. Which explains why we've never found these debug modes in the final either.
    Second, some of the additional .rel files are also debug related, such as _AdvMainD.rel. A lot of these end in D, giving it away.

Considering that several of these other lost objects were in the final, the Dragon boss probably is too. But I didn't have any luck messing with the SET file for Sky Chase, perhaps someone else will. We've got the values now, so it's just a matter of using them.

3. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
    I'm glad that people are into that good ole' "SADX" spirit, but I doubt there's much we can learn from this build.

The build I'd kill for would be the Sega Saturn Sonic Adventure (you know - BEFORE they started adding the X-Plane shit, and other gimmicks)

But anyhows, here's a pin-up of the SADX model format for those interested.

Just remember to reverse the byte order due to the Gamecube's CPU:

Models have no headers - they're compiled C files.
    So sometimes the "structs" get padded with null bytes.
    And also - pointers move around.
    So the only way is through ripping/scanning for models, which is done by scanning for relations between pointers and the data.

One trick used in finding "Struct Objects/Segs" is, since the float scale[3] of *MOST* models is (1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f) - one can search for the hex representation of that to give one a head start
    [​IMG]

4. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    Now THAT is useful information. *saves*

I kinda missed a lot of the Sonic Adventure hacking. Did you manage to get an import/export plugin written for this format for 3DSMax or the like?

5. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
    "Did you manage to get an import/export plugin written for this format for 3DSMax or the like? "

Nope =3
    SEGA's model format (since it's compiled), uses pointers all over. This means that, if one wants to edit a 3D model, one has to recalculate all the pointer offsets.

"Why can't one just append the new models at the end and readjust the pointers?"
    SEGA created the model format, but they didn't follow all the rules.
    E.g., the ATTACH struct is always BEFORE the OBJECT/SEG struct in memory.
    So instead of reading the pointer to the ATTACH struct, they just subtract a few bytes from the start of the SEG/OBJECT struct to get the address of the ATTACH struct, etc.

They have subroutines which use the "speedhack" and then there's ones which still rely on the "pointers"
    So if one wants to pull anything off - expect to have to go through the assembly, removing the speedhack from functions

Anyways, all the SADX stuff that has been done deals with taking a 3D model, dumping the verteces, moving the verteces, and then reinjecting the verteces in the same order - in hopes of creating another model

Links to a bunch of Sega Model Format related stuff (Nights model format, SA1, and SA2)
    http://sanik.imk.cx/doc/segaMdlFormats.zip

6. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    SANiK, I noticed that a lot of the polygon structure in the model format you showed allows for quads. Is this to allow easy porting of Saturn models?

EDIT: Or did any dreamcast models use quads instead of triangles?

7. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    So like, load any cutscene were Sonic is riding on the tornado, not during sky chase that is, and tell me that the model they use isn't the original SA1 model.

EDIT: This also seems to apply with the mini-scene in Sky Chase act 2. This means that SA1's models and textures are still apparently programmed into this game

For reference, I captured this video: http://www.sonic-cult.org/video/?vidfile=skychase

This is from the SADX prototype, looks like the models match ths SA1DC models 100%

8. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    FUCK THAT LOOK WHAT I FOUND

[​IMG]

9. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Holy shit. Does he work?

As for the models: Remember, in the Dreamcast Sky Chase, Sonic used his Sonic R model (I think they fixed it in the english release so during the cutscene where Tails transforms the Tornado 2, it was his normal model).

Chances are they changed all the SA1 models but forgot to fix the Sky Chase model to use the updated stuff.

10. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    No it doesn't just loads regular sonic ;)

This menu can be accessed by pressing start while in a trial mode level, then highlighting the last option and pressing start. I have no idea what most of these options do. Trying to find out now.

11. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Well, the options look obvious enough to me. The fact it's called the "Easy Menu" says enough. Rather than sorting through dozens of sub menus in the main debug mode, this lets you quickly select the most important options.

I suppose you tried the 50 rings stuff.

12. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    I didn't try 50 rings, the idea really didn't come to mind and I doubt it'd work. I'll try it after this thing I found though:

One of the options in "MODE" is "MISSION" I selected it and was transported to station square. BUT NOT JUST ANY STATION SQUARE:

[​IMG]

This.

Alright, I loaded it up with Emerald coast in Mission mode and got a keycard in front of me. I hit it and got:

[​IMG]
    It says: Mission 2 - It's Mission 2
    then
    [​IMG]

I got the tokens, and this came up:
    [​IMG]
    "Mission 61 - Mission clear"

Back in Station suqare, I got the mission card here and got this:

[​IMG]
    It says: "Mission 1 - drop the old man into the manhole 3 dozen times"

After that, this appeared behind me:

[​IMG]

13. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    Dude, I'm totally buying a GC tomorrow. How do I get in on this? How do you actually take this ISO and play it on the system? What's the setup you've got?

14. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    I used the SDLoad method to get the Sdloader working (http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/SDload). I put GCOS on the SD card.

Then, I bought a few MiniDVD-R's and burned the game to them. Then I started up GCOS and popped the burned DVD in there. It didn't read at first, so I opened up the cube and adjusted the potentiometer 20 degrees anti-clockwise. It reads the disc then.

15. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    Ok, so I'm gonna need:
    -GameCube
    -Pro Action Replay
    -SD Card adapter
    -SD Card
    -MiniDVD-R's

Time to hit eBay I think.

16. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    I reccomend the SD Gecko if you don't want to build your own, it works like a charm.

17. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    Thanks, that reader seems pretty cheap too. Looks like the Action Replay is going to be the most expensive part. I'll comb the local pawn shops tomorrow for a cheap GC I think.

18. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    Here's a screenshot of the memory card editor, I havent messed with the settings yet:
    [​IMG]

19. Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Renard Oldbie
    A modchip (or pre-modded used GC) would do the trick too. Heck, even the Wii can load the game from a more standard-sized DVD. I'm using this setup with a Wiinja Deluxe, works like a charm - but I still need to boot GCOS first as I'm using a PAL system and the game just freezes when you encouter Chaos 0, if relying solely on the chip.

The Action Replay would provide a few tools to work with though, might come in handy.

20. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    A modded GC might be a better option. This game is VERY crashy and you WILL be restarting your gamecube A LOT