don't click here

Zone 01 : "The Mandatory Green Level"

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Children, Children, don't be scared. Member
    Toledo, OH
    Level Concepts
    Y'know... if you stack or group all of those plants closely together, it gives off a nice Jungle feel....

I guess that may just be for future reference... or maybe a specific part of one of the acts in this zone?

2. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    I smell Sonic XG....

3. Rokkan

Rokkan

Outside the non-existant grass in Act 2, I love the idea.

4. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Damn, I really don't like that new bloc/grass shading... We don't need to have too detailed tileset to have a nice looking level.

5. synchronizer

synchronizer

Yeah... the new shading is a bit too much. There needs to be some sort of balance. Maybe Act 1 could be more like Rika's style, and Act 2 could shift slightly towards the new style. (Except not overdone.)

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    The shading isn't "a bit much" at all—it's absolutely fantastic, and extremely well-shaded. Any artificial limitation you're imposing on yourself are not only unneeded, but stifling the amount of detail that can be put into the level art.

I'm tired of seeing nothing but bland, repeating, flat-color patterns. It can be so, so much better.

7. I know I will probably be ignored, but could I throw in my 2 cents here?

I think it would be cool to have Sonic run on an actual beach somewhere in this zone.

On Dry Sand
    If he runs fast enough, he runs straight over it, no problem. If he slows down it would make him gradually sink into the sand, and make it harder to walk. The sand wouldn't go any farther than his knees though, and after Sonic gets back up to speed he could run on top of the sand again.

On Wet Sand
    If Sonic runs near the water on the beach, the sand would be wet, and he would stop way faster in this if he is slowing down. This could kill him if it is deep enough, if not he will stop sinking when he hits the ground under the wet sand. Same effect as the dry sand on movement, just more severe.

Also it would be awesome if Sonic could run on water in this stage.

Im sorry if any of this has been stated elsewhere, I just wanted to throw in my opinion.

8. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
  9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I don't get this mentality. Not even taking into account that "too detailed" would count as full-color, 32-bit color hand-drawn and inked images, how can you have too much detail? How is that too much detail? I think the direction you're suggesting doesn't have enough detail, and if pursued it will fail to make this project stand out amongst any others.

The same-old same-old is not what caused any sort of progression in the Sonic series—increases in detail, gameplay changes, et al are what make Sonic games feel new and refreshing. If you want to just copy Sonic CD the whole way, that's on you, but it's not really the way to go if you ask me.

10. Matwek

Matwek

11. Rokkan

Rokkan

I don't see anything wrong with the titles, except for this:
    [​IMG]
    I don't think those little grasses up some the octagonal thingies are necessary. It makes it somewhat ugly in my opinion.
    Also I prefer the old Sonic 1-esque bridge.

12. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    <!--quoteo(post=252061:date=Nov 30 2008, 04:43 PM:name=Tweaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweaker @ Nov 30 2008, 04:43 PM) [​IMG]

13. Rokkan

Rokkan

14. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    Wierd. I've never played it before, or even heard of it until this post. I guess we aren't doing that, then?

15. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

Just to add my two cents: I think the newer grass looks fantastic. Not 'too detailed', but simply 'detailed'.

16. Rokkan

Rokkan

Yes <3 I also feel that. They look really Knuckles Chaotix-esque.

17. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    Right on!

18. Rokkan

Rokkan

You quote an older post and exclamates "Right on" instead of counter-arguing the opposition to comprove your arguments and prove mine wrong. Ignoring such posts might be a lack of a counter-argument or you tryied to appeal to the opinion of someone that is more envolved with the project than you, trying to base all of your arguments in him.
    Because yeah, sorry if I desrespected you, but that was what I felt in that post.

19. This would be an awfully good time for a poll, you know. This dispute could last an awful long time unless we settle it now.