don't click here

Zone 01 : "The Mandatory Green Level"

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I have. Repeatedly. I personally like my water in water levels and nowhere else. Y'know, because if every zone apart from one contains some water (Oh, S3), what sort of identity of it's own does "water zone" actually have?

2. Matwek

Matwek

Im not a big fan of little bits of water in every level either, it just gets distracting most of the time, there should definetly be just one distinct water themed level.
    Although I wouldn't be adveres to one level (two at the most) being half and half water. I always liked how in ARZ you could go through the level almost completly under the water or hardly ever seeing it, the two different routes played pretty much like opposites.

3. RamiroR

RamiroR

I don't know what's wrong with putting some water part in some levels, it's funnier. So, people decide now, with water or without water(because I'm thinking this topic will be damnly discussed if we don't decide this NOW :psyduck:)

4. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    If there is any water in the first level, it'll be safe small puddles you run over by the sand part. Of course there will be a water level, as that is basic in big name games. That's final.

:psyduck:

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Angel Island doesn't have currents forcing you to re-do areas.

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Well the main reason there was so much of it was that that way the water shield actually had use since it was the only one you could take basically through the entire level. Otherwise the elemental shields were kinda pointless.

7. Matwek

Matwek

Did a bit of a mockup based on Chimpo's sketch from the General Art section (and borrowing the background).
    I think we should keep the tropical theme but move away from the beach idea as its been done before. So I thought why not take it to a much higher altitude then normal, there's no reason why Sonic can't start the game high up on a costal cliff and makes his way down (from up there he could get a clear view of whatever it is Robotnik is up too).
    [​IMG]
    I was always a fan of the less detailed tile set we had for this zone but at the same time I thought it could do with more surrounding detail to create a contrast. The idea of a basic geometric design with the grey rocks overlaying it and vegetation growing underneath might work quite well.

8. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    hmm... I think I'll try to make some tiles for that

9. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    What I was thinking is that we try making some level progression.

[​IMG]

We start off in the beach, run into a tropical man-made resort, then as we get further, tropical area becomes more wild with plant life, and then we exit our little jungle and end up in front of Angel Island.

Also Note: The Angel Island in the background of the concept art is for shits and giggles. I just wanted the sky not to be empty.

10. Matwek

Matwek

Having it there reminded me of the story you posted before about Robotnik removing the master emerald so the island crashed, then attaching his robot fortress thing to it and rising up again.

For Sonics story it might be handy to have it floating about in act 1 then crash into the sea for act 2 as we see robotnik scoot past with the master emerald. For Knuckles story it would start with you seeing robotnik stealing it so you can go straight into act 1 with the island in the sea.
    Then at the end of the next level we see the island fortress rising in the background and then the story is all set up and ready to go.

11. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    As a refresher for the "Story"

Edit: Shit, wrong image.

12. Matwek

Matwek

Probably for the best, it would only derail the topic

13. DistroyA

DistroyA

I WOD LICK A SONIC 2 ROMS Member
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    My own artwork
  14. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
  15. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I think 2-3 zones should include small water sections (think CPZ and S3 CNZ), yes. And there should be a "real" water level (like LZ) too.

16. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
  17. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Or, you know, lower the floor by a lot so that it's impossible to get back up.

Just sayin'.

18. Better yet, make the underwater wall NOT a quarter pipe. Does seem like a cool idea, kinda like in the water level from Rush, which had something like this.

19. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    .. you know, considering that image is a mock-up, and not actual in-game layout, isn't all this talk of how it is in exact form just superlative bollocks right now?

20. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Pretty much.