don't click here

Z80 Porting Question

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Dracula, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Converting NES Mappers to MMC5
    Is it possible to port z80 from any genesis roms to S1?

2. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I could probably answer if I understood the question. It's possible to port songs from some other Megadrive games into Sonic games, yes.

3. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    What I ment is the z80 sound driver. Thanks for the info anyway! And thanks to genskmod, now I can do z80 hacks. =P

4. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    In theory the sound driver can be taken across, but it often requires more work than most people are willing to undertake. It depends on the sound driver you're porting. Some are custom-made and aren't compatible at all with the Sonic driver, while others use the same makeup and require only minor changes; it depends on the game.

5. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    You'd either have to disable the 68k part of the driver, or ensure that you're porting a DAC-only Z80 driver. For the latter, you may also have to modify the 68k part to put values where the new Z80 driver expects them (for example, S1's 68k driver writes to Z80 $1FFF to determine the sample to be played).

6. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    It's not possible to just transfer z80 ram between S1 and other Sonic games, because they work differently. You have to change a few things in the game to make it work correctly.

7. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Thanks for all your help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.