don't click here

Yuji Naka pitched a Sonic/Mario crossover action game to Nintendo

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, Aug 6, 2016.

1. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Obligatory post reminding people not to attribute the creation of a series to one person when Naoto Oshima and Hirokazu Yasuhara were at least equally responsible.

2. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Haha I stand corrected! Yes you're indeed correct. Those two people were profoundly key to the series' genesis with Oshima responsible for Sonic's iconic character design and Yasuhara responsible for the legendary level layouts that made the games so amazing to play. You're right - they shouldn't be forgotten.

3. Turbohog

Turbohog

All three of those guys were important, but I still give mad props to Naka for the programming on the classics. Anyway, apparently Naka was asked if he would ever be involved in a Sonic game again at Summer of Sonic. Naka apparently replied, "Maybe someday". So I guess it's possible we will see some involvement from him again in the future.

4. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Yeah this is pretty much where I was coming from - Naka essentially being a Sega Genesis programming God that generated the physics and gameplay of the classics that we adore so much and defined many of our childhoods. The other guys are super important and key but Naka's contribution really can't be understated.

As for Naka's comments thanks for posting that - that's really interesting to hear. I'd love Naka to be involved with Sonic again in the future.

5. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    He also said he'd been talking with Oshima and Iizuka about things too...

6. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Guess it turns out Rodea and Ivy The Kwi aren't paying for new Ferraris =P

7. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    If they did make a Mario/Sonic crossover action game, I think the gameplay would work best as a neutral-ground playstyle that had elements of the two series' gameplay together. Specifically, something like Banjo-Kazooie or Crash Twinsanity, in which both Mario and Sonic are voluntarily paired together; presumably with the gameplay mechanics being cooperative moves. That said, I'm a bit disappointed most of the ideas I can think of are largely tied to Sonic being used by Mario as an attack object: Sonic can roll and Mario could balance on top of it, or Mario using Sonic's spikes to perform the spinning jump in SMW. I'd like to see some gameplay ideas that come from the other direction, but I'm drawing blanks.

8. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Wow that's interesting to hear! I know he's good friends with those two so maybe they chat about Sonic and Naka forwards them his ideas?

lol Guess not! Those games were relative failures. Modest successes at best. He made a fortune off Sonic however.

I'd love to see him return to Sonic one day. He clearly still has the drive, energy and passion. Would love to see that directed in to a Sonic game.

9. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Considering that I'm yet another nostalgic fellow born in the 80s, I've been dreaming for a Sonic & Mario (non-Olympic) game for decades. There are so many ways to do it right, yet I'm horrified by the many ways to do it wrong. Fortunately Sega seems to be amending from their previous errors, so I really hope Nintendo gives a green light to this. I'd buy it on day one, or preorder it, even. If it's possible to purchase a physical copy and stay away from Steam.

10. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

I know for a fact that they didn't do one way back when because they couldn't figure out how to mix the characters and their gameplay styles together.
    http://segabits.com/blog/2011/05/16/mario-sonic-platformer-never-happen-do-to-internal-disagreement/
    I hope that's changed though. They're Nintendo and Sega. I know they can do it, they just have to really be devoted to it.

11. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    As awesome as the idea is, I'm honestly not surprised that it didn't come to be. They might both be platformers, but the gameplay styles are obviously extremely different - bringing them together cohesively wouldn't be an easy thing to do.

If they were going for a platformer, then there's the question of "2D or 3D". I'd lean towards 2D perhaps being slightly less of a nightmare, simply because 3D Mario and 3D Sonic seem to be more different from each other than the 2D games (especially the "boost" Sonic games as they're barely even platformers), and Sonic Lost World arguably proved that a more Mario-styled 3D Sonic isn't all that great.

An RPG, as others have said, would probably be the most sensible way to go with this in order to circumvent the glaring differences between the two core game styles.

12. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Woah - didn't know that! Thanks for the posting the link. Enlightening! I knew there must have been a greater reason than just Miyamoto shooting down the project. Looks like this was the real cause right here. Hope that they still give it a shot one day. It has so much potential and could result in an awesome game that'd sell millions.

Excellent post! Yeah the games play extremely differently with Mario focused on slow-paced precision platforming whilst Sonic is focused on momentum and speed. It'd be a very difficult development challenge to somehow make those two gameplay styles cohesive. Still though I hope Sega makes an attempt one day. The concept has so much potential.

13. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    They should just do it like Sonic Generations. In Generations, all the modern era stages with Classic Sonic follow the Classic style of game play. They essentially just use the modern era as a level theme.

In the same way, when Mario plays a Sonic level, it plays exactly like a standard Mario level, but uses a Sonic stage as the theme for the level.

The game would essentially be based around nostalgia. I know a lot of people think that is cheap (and I can completely understand their reasoning), but Generations showed that a nostalgic game doesn't have to be a bad thing.

14. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    That's definitely an interesting way of going about this that could overcome development hurdles and be successful. Sonic running through Mario themed stages whilst Mario does the same but opposite. It's the simplest and more elegant method in which to develop the game. Hopefully Sega is reading this and takes the idea on-board!

15. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

I'd hate if that happened. Not only would it be incredibly lazy, but it does nothing to show how any combination of the styles of play from the Sonic and Mario games could work together. I was fine with it in Generations since it was supposed to be a nostalgia driven anniversary game that brought back Classic Sonic and both the classic and modern style stages were designed around multiple paths and maintaining speed.

I'd rather they potentially screw up an attempt to find a middle ground or have the two series not interact beyond the Olympic/Super Smash Bros/whatever.

16. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    If this is ever going to happen, I feel like it needs to be headed by a team that hasn't worked with either franchise. As far as I'm concerned, Retro could do it far better than anyone experienced with either franchise; they have a knack for getting to the heart of a game and reimagining it in a new way, and this partly comes from not having too close a connection to the source material to begin with. They already showed this both with Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong Country Returns, and I suspect that this same talent could work wonders at fusing two seemingly-incompatible franchises.

Of course, it'll never happen. The chances of such a high profile project featuring both companies' biggest mascots not having Miyamoto and Iizuka at its core along with teams they've worked with is extremely slim.