don't click here

Your Top 5 Best & Worst Sonic Games?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Retrogamer, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retrogamer

Retrogamer

1996: Sonic flips the birdie. Member
    I decided to make a topic to hear users' opinions on the best and worst Sonic games. A note, however, is that I do not want any flames, it's the user's opinion.
    My list:

Top 5 Best:
    5. Sonic 2 (Genesis)
    4. Sonic CD
    3. Sonic Unleashed (360)
    2. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    1. Sonic Adventure

Top 5 WORST:
    5. Sonic Heroes (PS2)
    4. Sonic Spinball (Game Gear)
    3. Tails' Sky Patrol
    2. Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
    1. Sonic the Hedgehog (360)

2. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

Best:
    1. Sonic 2
    2. Sonic Rivals 2
    3. Sonic 1
    4. Sonic CD
    5. Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Worst:
    1. Sonic Genesis
    2. Sonic Advance 2
    3. Sonic Advance 3
    4. Sonic Rush
    5. Sonic Labyrinth

3. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    Your numbering is confusing. So... SA is your favourite and S06 your least favourite?

Top 5:
    1. Sonic the Hedgehog CD (MCD)
    2. Sonic the Hedgehog (MD)
    3. Sonic R (Saturn)
    4. Sonic Chaos (SMS)
    5. Knuckles' Chaotix
    Honourable mentions: S1SMS, STT, SPP, SA2B, SAdv, SRivals and S06.

Worst 5:
    1. Sonci and the Secret Rings
    2. Sonic Shuffle
    3. Sonic Blast
    4. Sonic Heroes
    5. Shadow the Hedgehog
    6. Sonic Rush
    (I'd have loved to put S2 and S3K here to piss people off, but unfortunately I still respect them enough for them to be about in the middle. SADX is awful to for the biggest part, but I won't judge it until I have the DC version. And even so it's still better than the other 5.)

4. Best....
    5 Sonic 1
    4 Sonic 3K
    3 Sonic Rush
    2 Sonic Unleashed
    1 Sonic CD

Worst...
    5 Sonic Heroes
    4 Sonic GBA (Genesis)
    3 Sonic and Mario At the Olympic Games
    2 Sonic 3D
    1 Sonic Labyrinth

5. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Let's see, among the ones I've played which ones do I like least...

GSonic (woulda been better if the deceleration wasn't crap)
    Sonic Labyrinth (why couldn't Sonic have had a decent running speed? :( )
    I dunno, maybe Sonic Drift 2 for the damned opponent AI making the game nearly a dice roll in terms of victory
    I guess I may as well throw in Sonic 06, though I can't say much about it other than what everyone else says and inasmuch as a lot of people seem to have something against Sonic Heroes I'm not sure how much stock to put in these opinions.
    And fuck, Sonic 2 GG because it's unbalanced and obviously designed for SMS and the conversion hit it hard quality-wise (henceforth Sonic Chaos and Triple Trouble would be designed for GG first and they were better for it...)

Which ones are my favorite?
    Sonic Adventure (I have the DX version)
    Sonic Triple Trouble
    Sonic 3[K]
    Sonic Heroes
    Sonic...Rush? I dunno, I think the soundtrack is worth it along

Tails Skypatrol and Sonic Heroes (well, the right version of it, that is) are both awesome and 3D Blast is good.

6. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Best :
    1 Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    2 Sonic Adventure 2
    3 Sonic 1 SMS
    4 Sonic 1 MD
    5 Sonic Blast / G Sonic

Worst:
    1 Sonic Spinball
    2 Sonic Riders
    3 Sonic Labyrinth
    4 Sonic 2
    5 Sonic Adventure

7. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    Best:
    1. Sonic Rush
    2. Sonic 2 [Genesis]
    3. Sonic Riders
    4. Sonic Advance 2
    5. Sonic Battle

Worst:
    1. Sonic Chronicles
    2. Sonic 3d Blast
    3. Sonic R
    4. Sonic Labyrinth
    5. Sonic Adventure

lol: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29711.html

8. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Top 5:
    1. Sonic the Hedgehog CD
    2. Sonic the Hedgehog
    3. Knuckles' Chaotix
    4. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    5. Sonic and knuckles / Sonic triple trouble

Worst 5:
    1. Sonic Rush
    2. Shadow the Hedgehog
    3. Sonic Adventure 2
    4. Sonic Advance 2
    5. Sonic Heroes

9. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Top 5:
    1) Sonic CD
    2) Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    3) Sonic Rush [Adventure] (sue me)
    4) Sonic 2
    5) Sonic the Hedgehog

Bottom 5:
    1) Sonic Labyrinth
    2) Shadow the Hedgehog
    3) Sonic 2006
    4) Sonic Advance 2
    5) G-Sonic / Sonic Blast

10. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Best:
    1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    2. Sonic Triple Trouble

11. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    Best
    1/ Sonic the Hedgehog (Master System)
    2/ Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Mega Drive)
    3/ Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast)
    4/ Sonic 3 + Sonic & Knuckles (Mega Drive)
    5/ Sonic CD (Mega-CD)

Worst
    1/ Sonic Battle (Game Boy Advance)
    2/ Shadow the Hedgehog (Gamecube)
    3/ Sonic Blast (Game Gear)
    4/ Sonic Drift (Game Gear)
    5/ Sonic Spinball (Mega Drive)

12. Rokkan

Rokkan

Best 4:
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Why? It was my first GC game and my first Sonic 3D game, and at that era I was really really into the Adventure styled Sonic games, because of all of the fan-games I played about them, and I found it to be really amazing and I addicted to it a lot. So I have some kind of not-so-old nostalgia about that. City Escape song still makes my body shudder of excitement.
    Sonic Rush
    I thought it was going to be as crap as the Advance games... Small vision area, gameplay that fails while trying to copy the classics, generic zones, sucky and difficult to reach Special Stages... That's why I didn't buy it at the time, but then I saw some gameplay videos and some people were praising it and then I said to myself: God I need that game. When I got it... Wow! This game is as amazing as I thought! It fixed everything that was bad about Sonic Advance and introduced some new cool stuff. And the bosses were challenging and reminded me in an awesome way Klonoa's 2.5D.
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    This game's graphics, music, and many many new improvements in comparison to Sonic 1 and 2, and has lots of exploration, secrets and astonishing level design. The Blue Spheres Special Stage is the best Special Stage ever, only losing to Knuckles' Chaotix's.
    Sonic 1 (Master System)
    Some friends of mine were praising this game as the best Sonic game ever, so I went playing to see what does this game has that's so SPESHUL. I really didn't like how this game didn't have the whole sense of speed of other Sonic games. There are no loopings at all, only some ramps and there's only one Speed-Up monitor in the whole game. But it's a great platforming game, has an extremely amazing level design, and should be remade for Mega Drive with the speed element that is missing (and with the Mega Drive Sonic engine) that would be really really awesome.
    Special Mentions:
    Knuckles Chaotix: A Really really creative game, great graphics, good music. Epic Special Stage.
    Sonic Adventure: The point-of-view story is great, gameplay is good, music is great, and I love the whole idea. It's a shame that Sonic Team decided that Sonic Adventure should be taken as the template of new games and create a shitty story using the template.
    Sonic Unleashed: Haven't played it yet, but I bet as soon as I get it, this list will be a Top 5 for sure.

Worst 4:
    Sonic Labirinth: Four fucking words: "YOU'RE TOO SLOW"
    Sonic Advance 2: Hold the right button and jump a few times. ZONE CLEARED!
    Sonic Heroes: Suckish team system that slows you down, plastic graphics, incredibly imense amount of bugs, etc.
    Shadow the Hedgehog: The game has some good parts I'll admit. But the whole idea is a big NO.

13. Tenniru

Tenniru

Duty Now For The Future Oldbie
    BEST:

1. Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    -Classic Sonic, no way around it. Everything I like about it, nothing I don't.
    2. Sonic Adventure 2
    -One of the finest 3D games ever, and the last truly kickass Sonic game. I love ALL aspects of the gameplay.
    3. Sonic 2
    -S3/K, but more speed-based.
    4. Sonic Adventure
    -The only 3D game that captures the old "classic" vibe. Again, I love all of it (Big is tolerably short if you know what to do).
    5. Tails' Adventure
    -A game that broke the Sonic mold and didn't break itself in the process. Like a weird Megaman/Metroid/Sonic mix.

WORST:

1. Sonic Next-Gen
    -They just didn't finish it. It would be in the top 5 if they'd FINISHED IT.
    2. Sonic Advance 2
    -Boring as watching ice melt.
    3. Sonc Labyrinth
    -Uncompromisingly slow.
    4. Sonic Drift
    -Why are they in cars? IT WOULD BE FUN IF PLAYING AS A CHARACTER MEANT SOMETHING.
    5. Sonic 2 (Game Gear)
    -The Master System version was much more fun. The Game Gear was totally crippled because YOU COULDN'T SEE.

14. Dan Genesis

Dan Genesis

As it was predicted. Plus, this is like some cute Member
    Top Secret. Bitch.
    KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
    Best:
    1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Two Words: Hyper Sonic.
    2. Sonic Adventure 2 - Admit it, they struck gold with this game, even if they did have some Angry Programmers
    3. Sonic CD - Time Travel + Sonic = Win
    4. Sonic 2 (Genesis) - Classic Super Sonic gameplay. 'Nuff Said.
    5. Shadow The Hedgehog - What? I like a game where I can control how the story plays out. Plus some of the tracks, such as Sky Troops, kicked epic ass.

Notable Games:
    Sonic 3D Blast (Either) - Awesome sound track
    Tails Adventure - This game was simply fun. What more do you want from me?!
    Sonic Adventure - Great story, loved my first time playing it on the DC, and still love playing it on the GCN.
    Sonic Triple Trouble - This game is fun, despite the excruciatingly tough special stages.
    Knuckle's Chaotix - Never actually played it, but I hear it's good.

Worst:
    5. Sonic 2006 - The game is overall not as bad as most people think, but the loading screens are annoying
    4. Sonic Drift/2 - It's fun for playing it on the road now and again, but just no.
    3. Sonic Spinball - I understand the idea behind this..... Listen, SEGA, you don't have to produce every [bleep]ing idea you [bleep]kickers come up with, understand?!
    2. Sonic 1/2 (SMS/GG) - WHY ARE THERE NO RINGS IN ACT 3?! What the [bleep], SEGA? Asswipes.
    1. Sonic Labryrith - [bleep] you, SEGA, [bleep] YOU!

15. Taylor

Taylor

Best
    1. Sonic Adventure
    2. Knuckles in Sonic 2
    3. Sonic CD
    4. Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    5. Sonic Pocket Adventure

Worst
    1. Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball (Game Gear)
    2. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Game Gear)
    3. Sonic Drift
    4. Sonic Drift 2
    5. Sonic Heroes

16. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Four words? I believe that's three. :(

Anyway, my Best 5 are as follows:

1. Sonic 2 (MegaDrive) - Amazing music, amazing surreal artwork, introduction to Super Sonic. Been playing for 16 years, will be playing for another 16 at the very least.
    2. Sonic 3 / Sonic & Knuckles - Sonic 3 was great, the special stages were amazing, the music was fitting, and the introduction to a new rival was great. Sonic & Knuckles, well "OH MY GOD YOU CAN PLAY AS KNUCKLES =O" was my first reaction. Then I put on Sonic 2.
    3. Sonic 1 (Megadrive) - Gotta give the first game some love, I'll never forget how GHZ sounds, hearing the special stage music play, and seeing the wonderful colours and spinny stuff as a very young kid.
    4. Sonic Adventure - The introduction to 3D sonic, the opening level, Emerald Coast, the music was great, it felt like the perfect level to open a sonic game with. Hearing songs from Sonic 3D: Flickies Island, remade with guitar, or in a dance/trance style was amazing.
    5. Sonic Spinball (MegaDrive) - I'll never forget first playing this game. Toxic Caves was great, and the music is still one of my favorite songs to this day. Even at college, we jammed out Toxic Caves =P

My Worst 5, are probably these:
    1. Sonic and the Secret Rings: Seriously, auto moving forward sucked. The entire game was LOLSTRAIGHTLINEZONE. The only reason I continue to own is to complete my colllection of sonic games.
    2. Sonic Riders 1 & 2 - Oh dear god look at all the useless new characters. Didn't like the gameplay, therefore, didn't play again.
    3. Sonic Drift - No, sonic can run faster than he can drive kthx.
    4. Sonic Triple Trouble - This game just didn't do much for me, I couldn't get into it.
    5. Honestly, I don't think there is a 5th sonic game I've played which is bad enough to go here, I quite enjoy them all. Maybe Sonic and the Black Knight will take its place. =P

17. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Now, that's hard to decide...

Best:

1. Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (MD)
    2. Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (SMS)
    3. Sonic Unleashed (360)
    4. Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (MD)
    5. Sonic Advance 2 (GBA)

Honorable mension to Knuckles Chaotix (32X). The best "Sonic game" without actually the "Sonic".

Worst:

1. Shadow The Hedgehog (PS2/NGC/XBOX)
    2. SONIC The Hedgehog (360/PS3)
    3. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (MD/SMS/GG)
    4. Sonic 3D Blast (MD)
    5. Sonic Unleashed (Wii/PS2)

Note that it is extremely important to me to state the platforms of the games, since I don't think all version from all platforms is great/suck.

18. Machenstein

Machenstein

Best:

1. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles - The great behemoth of Sonic games.
    2. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Mega Drive) - Easily the most influential Sonic game in the entire series.
    3. Sonic the Hedgehog CD - A prime example that Sonic can be used as an artistic property.
    4. Sonic the Hedgehog (Mega Drive) - The physics toy that started it all.
    5. Sonic Rush Adventure - The peak of Dimps when it comes to Sonic game design.

The Top 5 may be subject to change once I play Sonic Unleashed (360/PS3) and it's good enough.

Worst:

1. Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis - A complete desecration of the Mega Drive classic.
    2. Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 - The behemoth of Sonic disappointment and quite possibly one of the worst games this generation.
    3. Shadow the Hedgehog - A poorly made product which destroyed the reputation of a perfectly good rival character.
    4. Sonic Labyrinth - Worst idea ever.
    5. Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball (Game Gear) - A shoddy 8-BIT recreation of an already mediocre 16-BIT game.

EDIT: Compressed spaces.

19. Cap

Cap

Best:
    Sonic Heroes - May seem like a strange choice, but its good once you go back to it
    Sonic Advance - They're all as good as the other. Just amazing games
    Sonic 2 - Classic Sonic, you have to love em
    SATSR - So what he keeps moving forward, thats what sonic does, the feel of the game is what I adore
    Knuckles Chaotix - Maybe its getting to play as Mighty, but I do love this game. Although I still need to finish it

Worst:
    Sonic Rider ZG - Honestly, the first was enjoyable, the next was pure awful.
    Sonic GameGear in general - All are just a joke nowadays
    Sonic 06 - Just plain frustrating due to glitch's and has so much content left out
    Sonic 3D blast - Slow, awkward controls, has no redeeming features whatsoever.
    Tails Skypatrol - I don't remember much, just that I got bored quickly

I've yet to play Sonic R, Sonic Rush, Sonic CD, Sonic Adventure 2, Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Fighters. So they're on my to do list.

20. Lizam

Lizam

Lizam Member
    Australia
    Mario & Sonic: Worlds Clash
    Best:
    Sonic 3 and Knuckles - Everything was done so well in this, from Gameplay to the music
    Sonic 2 - Where it all started for me ^^. My first ever game and I wouldn't have made this post if I didn't get it
    Sonic Adventure 2 - My favorite 3D Sonic. Still has the best story for a sonic game, and I still think Shadow should have stayed dead while he had his glory >.<
    Sonic 1 - It's the original and still great, what else?
    Sonic CD - So many memories with the metal sonic boss fight. It's still my favorite boss fight ^^

Worst:
    Shadow the Hedgehog - It was taken way too far. I liked the fact that SEGA listened to there fans and made a game about Shadow, but they failed it miserably
    Sonic the Hedgehog 360 - I got every achievement for this game, and it was hell. The frame rate was horrible and you could easily tell it was incomplete game with a story that made me cringe.
    Sonic Labyrinth - I stopped after the first 5 - 10 minutes and I couldn't see it getting any better
    I can't think of any other Sonic games that I would consider bad, but there are many which are mediocre.

Other:
    Sonic Heroes - I played this on gamecube so I'm not sure how similar the others were (I heard they were more glitchy) but I found it to a very solid and enjoyable game. Sure it had many death pits, but it had great platforming, an awesome sound track, and the team element kept it fresh. I still enjoy going back to it.
    Sonic Unleashed 360 - Getting it on the 27th when it comes out her in Australia, and from what I've heard and seen, I think it will be great.
    Super Smash Bros Brawl - Well, it does have Sonic in it... Still playing this game constantly and competitively. Excellent game

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.