don't click here

YOUR QUICKMAN NEEDS YOU

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Quickman, Aug 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    (I figured this fit best in this forum because it's hacking-related and could possibly help others.)

For a good few days now my well of inspiration for hacks has run dry as the Sahara is sandy. When I do have an idea it turns out someone else has already done it and it's therefore not worth doing.

So I want y'all to help me remember how to be original and come up with ideas others haven't thought of or done. Help me regain my Muse. (Don't suggest ideas - that'll get me into a habit of coming back and asking for more. Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day; teach him to fish and he'll eat for the rest of his life.)

I was asked in the chatroom why what I do has to be novel. My reply was that as a Tech Member people expect my hacks to be a cut above the rest. I can't make do with releasing a bogstandard level and palette hack which any Joe Bloggs with a copy of SonED can do. My hacks should be interesting and do things people may not have attempted before. I know there's no requirement to "prove myself" in any way by Simon's criteria, but the way I look at it is what's the point in being a Tech Member if I never do anything to show it? All I seem to do is start debates and postcount+1.

Discuss.

2. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    How can I teach you to have ideas? o.O

3. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Great source of inspiration:

Play the original. Sit down at your megadrive or genesis and Play through Sonic 1, 2, and 3K. If you're low on time, just 3K. Durring the game your likely to come up with "I can do better than this" ideas.

Try to play other games and figure "why hasn't something like this been done in Sonic?"

Also, what can you do with Sonic's music or any ASM knowledge? See what you can apply and look at ROM hacking as a way to test yourself.

4. voice

voice

Make any joke you want, you know I look good. Banned
    45mins west of Chicago
    RSN2.0, PHP:IRC (A attempt at CGI:IRC in PHP)
    My ideas come simply, though I don't hack games so these ideas never become reality. Anyways, my ideas come from playing the game and saying "damn this move is old, I want something new!"

5. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Also try thinking outside the box. Think of things that wouldn't necessarily be readily apparent.

6. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    think big. think something that has never been done before.

7. Ultima

Ultima

London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    At the same time, think small. Think little things people wouldn't usually think twice about. =P

8. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Play the originals and think about what you didn't like and what would look good and work well. Make a note of everything and throw all of these changes into a hack. That way, you should come out with something technically different, and something you enjoy at the same time.

9. Timecrash

Timecrash

I, Timecrash, will knock you all down! Member
    Play the games and jot down some ideas. Then, try expanding on those ideas.

10. Guifrog

Guifrog

And you see, the quotidian may not help you in some cases. When you're very attached to it, your mind becomes disturbed. What I usually do is to close my eyes and try to remove as many thoughts as I can, without forcin' anythin'. Just relaxin'. Yea, that's what I mean, remove thoughts to think better. This is a way of gettin' ideas faster while doin' all of the suggestions above.

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Think of how YOU wanted the game to be when you played it. "Why wasn't it like this in the first place? I'll fix that. =P".

12. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    You know my idea already, weather effects :(

13. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Well, Quick Man, Ketsuban, whoever you are now, there's what we talked about before, it's becoming more and more real to me now, possibilities are endless for it, and if you're not gonna do it, tell me so I can. :P

14. Ultima

Ultima

London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Smooth Criminal in EHZ plz *runs*

15. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I can get you Smooth Criminal in GHZ. =P

16. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    So can anyone. I imagine the engine in the MJ game, being roughly contemporary with Sonic 1 and using the same base driver, won't be so different to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.