don't click here

Your Favorite Special Stage

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Skyler, Jul 19, 2009.

Which Special Stage is your favorite?

1. Sonic 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sonic 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sonic CD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sonic 3&K

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Sonic 3D (Gen/MD)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Sonic 3D (Sat)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Sonic Heroes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sonic Rush

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Sonic Rush Adventure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other (Specify below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    We all know the Special Stages. Those crazy worlds where we have to overcome crazy obstacles to (usually) obtain some emeralds filled with crazy amounts of power. Over the years, these stages have taken on various looks, feels, and challenges. But I want to know what Special Stage you like the best and why.

My personal favorite is the Special Stage featured in the first Sonic Rush. It's the Sonic 2 format, but with a refreshing new gameplay element that's both fun and challenging, moreso than Sonic 2 in my opinion.

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    <a href="http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=13547" target="_blank">http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=13547</a>?

However, voted Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

3. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    <!--quoteo(post=332171:date=Jul 18 2009, 10:55 PM:name=nineko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nineko @ Jul 18 2009, 10:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332171">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=13547" target="_blank">http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=13547</a>?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Dammit. Overlooked that. But at least there's a poll so it's not a total waste.

4. Both of the Rush games had good ones. The first was a great use of the touchscreen and helped spice things up with lots of gimmicks and even enemies in the stages, so it wouldn't just be about memorizing the ring locations. I consider all of the boating in Rush Adventure to be some form of Special Stage, and for the most part, it was fun. I might not have liked all of the vehicles, but you weren't required to use any particular one for too long, from what I recall.

From the classic games, S3&K stands out for me. It's more of a frantic puzzler than a memorization test or precision platforming checkup. The music was pretty cool, too.

5. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
    I haven't played the Rush games so I don't know about their special stages. Voted for S3&K.

6. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    I voted Sonic CD, not because they're the most fun (I think Sonic 3 & K's are), but because they are the best looking, each one is unique, and I like their music the best (US version). I also love that you can Time Attack them.

Easiest: Sonic 3D Blast
    Hardest: Chaotix
    Balls-suckingest: Sonic Heroes

Best Bonus Stage: Glowing Orbs in S&K. But I probably just like it cos I rule at it. :P

7. corneliab

corneliab

Isn't it about time you played some VIDEOGAMES? Member
    Zero Mortals
    I'm torn. S3&K's special stages are the most familiar to me and have some clever designs, but then again, Rush's special stages are really fun (not Rush Adventure's though- those were lame) and all the different art for Sonic CD's special stages is pretty impressive. I haven't played the Saturn 3D Blast, but those look great as well. Hmm.

Also gotta give props to the special stages in Sonic Advance 3. I mean, you're flying through the special stage on the Tornado. That's damn cool. Excellent music to boot.

Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis) had the worst ones I've ever played, though. Zero inspiration, absurdly easy, and seemingly just thrown together.

8. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    Best for me was Sonic Rush. I loved using the stylus to move Sonic around the half pipe. It was like Sonic 2, except better.

Worst would be Sonic Advance, with Sonic CD following VERY closely behind it. Both special stages had atrocious controls and were generally unfun anyway you look at it.

9. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    <!--quoteo(post=332187:date=Jul 19 2009, 05:58 AM:name=corneliab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (corneliab @ Jul 19 2009, 05:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332187">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis) had the worst ones I've ever played, though. Zero inspiration, absurdly easy, and seemingly just thrown together.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMFwDij5nQo&feature=channel_page" target="_blank">The "absurdly easy" part can be fixed easily now :P</a>

That said, I voted for S3&K's special stages - just because I like them, OK? In fact, it'd be cool to make variants on those (more types of spheres or maybe make the sphere not planar at all). Also I wonder what would happen if they're mixed with S3D Saturn special stage music :P

10. corneliab

corneliab

Isn't it about time you played some VIDEOGAMES? Member
    Zero Mortals
    <!--quoteo(post=332193:date=Jul 19 2009, 02:20 AM:name=Sik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sik @ Jul 19 2009, 02:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332193">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=332187:date=Jul 19 2009, 05:58 AM:name=corneliab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (corneliab @ Jul 19 2009, 05:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332187">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis) had the worst ones I've ever played, though. Zero inspiration, absurdly easy, and seemingly just thrown together.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMFwDij5nQo&feature=channel_page" target="_blank">The "absurdly easy" part can be fixed easily now :P</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They still look like cake. :colbert:

11. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

& Knuckles Member
    I voted Sonic 3D Saturn. Everything about those Special Stages is amazing to me; the music, the bright colours, the half pipe gameplay and even the very small but clever platforming parts in a few of them.
    I can't think of a Special Stage I've played that I enjoyed more.

12. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    I'll just rundown my opinions of all the ones that I've played.

S1: classic, fun, not too hard
    S2: alright, not worth it with AI Tails though
    S3K: brilliant, although I haven't a clue how to get Perfects on the last few S&K ones
    S3D Gen: Boring, and easy....I mean come on when you can get the number of rings needed for the next section before you even get to it...

Chaos: These felt more like bonus stages
    Triple Trouble: Eh.
    Blast: Unoriginal, very slow paced

Heroes: Great in concept, but seemingly frustrating controls making most of them a pain (not to mention the method to gain access)

SAdv: Bad angles and depth perception...
    SAdv2: Fun, but tough to get into
    SAdv3: Alright, but takes a while before you can even get to them
    Rush: kinda cool
    Rush Adventure: Race for the emeralds, awesome, and well worth the effort if you upgrade the waterbike.

I'll just rundown my opinions of all the ones that I've played.

S1: classic, fun, not too hard
    S2: alright, not worth it with AI Tails though
    S3K: brilliant, although I haven't a clue how to get Perfects on the last few S&K ones
    S3D Gen: Boring, and easy....I mean come on when you can get the number of rings needed for the next section before you even get to it...

Chaos: These felt more like bonus stages
    Triple Trouble: Eh.
    Blast: Unoriginal, very slow paced

Heroes: Great in concept, but seemingly frustrating controls making most of them a pain (not to mention the method to gain access)

SAdv: Bad angles and depth perception...
    SAdv2: Fun, but tough to get into
    SAdv3: Alright, but takes a while before you can even get to them
    Rush: kinda cool
    Rush Adventure: Race for the emeralds, awesome, and well worth the effort if you upgrade the waterbike.

13. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    Sonic 1: I voted for this because the rotating maze looks cool, yet I can still finish all the special stages with minimal effort. I have all the emeralds by the time I hit Spring Yard Act 3.

Sonic 3&K: Would be my second choice. More special stages (SUPER EMERALDS??!?!?!), but blue spheres has catchy music and I can usually get the chaos emeralds and most of the super emeralds without having to try again. Also, lots of chances at getting the emeralds. Plus, the save game means that if I don't get all the emeralds the first go around, I still have a shot at the good ending.

Sonic CD: Looks cool, acceptable difficulty curve. Again, I get them all with minimal tries. Hitting the UFOs is hard, I have to remember to jump BEFORE it looks like I have to jump.

Sonic 3D (Gen/MD): Piss easy. I've never had the patience to sit through an entire game of Sonic 3D blast, so I've never collected all the emeralds.

Sonic 3D (Sat): I do not own a Saturn. If I did, I'd probably play this over the other ones because it just looks cool.

Sonic 2: I. HATE. HALFPIPES. The music is okay, but I just can't see around the corners in time to get all the rings and the seventh special stage has that field of rings that I always manage to dodge all the rings when I'm actually trying to collect them. Also, if single player, only do Sonic Only or Tails Only. Otherwise, you're one bomb hit away from tails taking all the rings and then eating bombs.

Sonic Rush : Sonic 2 special stage, but with shitty stylus control and I can't jump without tapping an enemy? Music is great though.

Sonic Heroes: If I hate halfpipes, I double-hate this because it's two halfpipes glued together (into a whole-pipe?). The shitty team mechanic just detracts from this further.

Sonic Rush Adventure: This game had special stages? Whaatever. I only got like one emerald here anyway. This game was all BOTTOMLESS PIT and no fun for me. Probably because I sucked at it.

Other: I haven't played any other games (or at least any other games which actually had special stages).

14. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I voted Sonic CD. Other than the spotty collision issues, I love them. It feels like they tried to make each one it's own zone.

15. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    Sonic 3D Saturn's special stages will always be my favorite. I know they're not anything that new for the series, but it was fun being able to roll and do a little bit of platforming (a very little bit) in the stages. The fact that SSF runs them cleanly for me and lets me savestate at the beginning to play them anytime is just an added bonus. Chaotix is a close second for me for the sheer trippiness, and the fact that you can actually fall off the track. It's challenging, but you always have control over what you're doing.

Sonic 3D PC has to be the worst. The physics are horrible, you can't run on the "ceiling" like you can in the other half-pipe stages, and it moves so fast that it's impossible to see hazards until you're right up on them, which they try to compensate for by putting a metric butt-ton of rings in the stages and placing high ring requirements instead of multiple checkpoints.

16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Chaotix, easily. Challenging stages that pull off cool tech effects while feeling large, and having platforming while still feeling different enough from the main game to stay fresh.

Sonic Heroes was a great idea mired by the fact that controls reverse when you go to the top of the stage, and of course the same problems that plagued the boarding sections of Adventure (Ice Cap, Sand Hill) in terms of handling.

17. Malpass

Malpass

Fell at the Battle of the Wing Fortress, 1992. Member
    I voted for Blue Spheres, it's the best. Sonic 2's Special Stage gets very monotomous quickly, same with Sonic 1. Can't remember Sonic 3D's one, so it couldn't be that good. Heroes wasn't bad.

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - Special Stage (Sonic The Hedgehog 2).mp3 [02:17m/192Kbps/44KHz/foobar2000 0.9.6.4]

:)

Loads of happy memories of playing this thing that will always stick =P

19. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Favorite is probably S3&K - just the right balance in terms of difficulty.

Easiest is by far the Sonic Heroes special stage. Considering I am a bad player in general, I can't see how anybody could have ANY problems with these stages. O_o

Least favorite for me is Sonic 2. Way to difficult for me... ._.

20. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    <!--quoteo(post=332391:date=Jul 19 2009, 11:25 PM:name=Herm the Germ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Herm the Germ @ Jul 19 2009, 11:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332391">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Easiest is by far the Sonic Heroes special stage. Considering I am a bad player in general, I can't see how anybody could have ANY problems with these stages. O_o<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Terrible design?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.