don't click here

YM3812 synth chip?

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by GerbilSoft, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    I found a few old ISA sound cards in networking class that have the YM3812 synth chip. Anyone know any specific details about this chip (such as YM2612 compatibility, etc)?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and even if it is YM2612 compatible, I won't be able to use it on my home computer; I don't have any ISA slots. :)

2. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    That is a MIDI synth, obviously, from around '89. I've seen it mostly for a Linux, though Sound Blaster used to use it. 11 voices, also known as the OPL2. No idea on the compatability, except not to use it with the YM3625, cause that won't be too good. Other stuff from Wikipedia: "The circuit has 244 different write-only registers. It can produce 25 independent sine waves which may also be modified to mimic triangular wave (sine waves with the negative part turned upward) and sawtooth waves (1/4 sine waves upward only with silent sections inbetween. This odd way of producing waveforms give the YM3812 a characteristic sound. Each wave generator has its own amplitude modulator. " That is my YM3812 report for tonight.

3. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Nice partial copy and paste there. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YM3812

4. Alexbt

Alexbt

TheRetroHobbyist Oldbie
  5. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Hey, I didn't feel like typing all that stuff. What can I say?

Even if you did, if you wanted to use a YM2612, get a used Genesis/Mega Drive and rip it out. Actually, I have an opened up Genesis in my room right now, missing the power button. I could send it to you if you don't want to ruin a Genesis.

6. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    That chip is nothing at all like the 2612. You need a DX-compatible chip -- like the 2612 or 2203. The Yamaha synthesizers use others.... like the OPL, OPS, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.