don't click here

xdaniel's untitled Sonic 2 hack

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by xdaniel, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xdaniel

xdaniel

For some reason - maybe wondering if even I can do better than the Sega of today or something - I started hacking Sonic 2 yesterday, creating a new layout for EHZ1 from scratch. No fancy new music or art, no ASM modifications (besides two tiny things), not even a new palette (as I was too lazy to dig out this old palette I should still have somewhere from years ago) or, gasp, even a new name; just a new layout for EHZ Act 1.

Why I'm posting this in its state here is simple: If the layout I created is trash, then there's no point in going ahead with this hack. As I pretty much suck with art, don't know much about ASM on the 68000 and sure as hell can't make or port new music, layouts would be the only thing left that could make a Sonic hack of mine worthwhile. So, as I can't judge myself too well either way, I'd like to ask if some of you here could try this ROM out and tell my how this new EHZ1 is. It shouldn't have any game-breaking glitches, but might have cosmetical ones, like some level blocks not fitting together perfectly and such; debug is enabled by default but the it's fully finishable without, and, as implied, nothing's done after this single act.

Leaving any additional ranting aside: http://magicstone.de/dzd/random/s2built.bin

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I like it! In fact, I like it a lot—it's a very platforming-centric approach on the level, feels very open, and has quite a few alternative paths. In addition, there were quite a few traditional "gimmick" areas, like bouncing the player back between two red springs. There were a couple of small speed sections to make the player feel victorious, some good spring and collapsing platform placement, and overall it was very fun to go through. Nice work! ;)

If this is to decide whether or not you continue hacking, then I definitely encourage you to keep on going. This is some seriously cool stuff here!

3. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    I just played it and I really like it. The speed section at the start is pretty cool and I like how there are speed sections and platforming sections because usually you get either one or the other. I like the alternate paths too; not to many, but enough to have made me play the level at least twice to see if I had missed anything (And low and behold, I missed a life box and an invincibility, as well as going on a different path).
    Nice one!

4. xdaniel

xdaniel

Thanks for the comments and encouragement, so I guess the layout is good and fun to play ;) Your responses really were for me to determine if I should stop trying to hack Sonic games, but I guess it's actually the opposite, and I did manage to make a worthwhile and actually fun level here.

[​IMG]

By the way, this is how everything stands right now (some HUD changes), including the palette I mentioned. I just slightly modified to be a bit brighter as the original was very, very dark. I kinda like it, but I think it's still a bit too dark... however if I brighten it up even more, it'll pretty much end up as your standard Emerald Hill with some slightly different shades, even moreso than now... ahh, told you I suck at art :P

And finally, in case anyone wants to take a closer look at the layout (for missed hidden areas or whatever), here it is: http://magicstone.de/dzd/random/LevelMap.png

Gonna think about and start EHZ2 tomorrow, hope it will come out nice as well!

5. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    I like your sense of level design, with some original artwork that hack could turn into something really special.

6. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
  7. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Haven't actually played the game but saw the picture. Reminds me very much of the first stage of Sonic Chaos, which I think is a good thing.

8. xdaniel

xdaniel

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Your current HUD is absolutely fine. Who cares if someone else used it?

10. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    I also used that HUD design way back in 2003, and I'm sure a lot of other people did as well. Who actually gives a shit?

Back on topic, the level design is very well done, although I do have a criticism of sorts, which you may take into consideration.

First of all, I didn't feel that there were many speedy parts. There were a couple in places but a lot of the zone involved quite a bit of stopping and starting. If you take a look at the original EHZ, you'll notice that along with the exploration parts, there was a route you could take which was speed based and could get you to the end pretty quickly. GHZ also had a similar design and it seems to be a fairly common thing with the earlier zones of Sonic games.

Aside from that, this level was very well put together and I look forward to seeing what else you can come up with for the other zones.

11. My only problem is the launch from the tube at the start. It sends you past the (frankly, unecessary) first checkpoint. I did like the hidden cave with the invincibility box, though.

12. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    I loved the layout. I'd say, do more if you feel up to it. I could see very playable hacks coming from you in the future. :(

Off topic, what hack is that pic from? I've never seen it before...

13. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    I agree, it does feel more like a later level than the first one, it would do better being later in the game I think.

14. xdaniel

xdaniel

On the HUD: Edited it again, but AGAIN don't really like how it came out. It's gonna stay the way it is for the moment, as it's not really important so far anyway.

Speed-based simple route: Something like that is in now. I modified a part of the level that I considered to be the main point preventing something like that, which can be seen here:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First one is the original layout, second one the modified variant. Gone is the long, bottomless pit, in its place is a new, simpler path. You can still take the platforms, but there's not much point to them anymore - they stay, however, as I like them :(

Tube launch at the start: That's THE first thing that came to mind when I started planning and creating the level, so it definetly stays. Also, if you don't want to fly that far into the level, just press left for a second while inside the tunnel to slow down :P

Finally, here's a video of "Mint Chocolate Zone" Act 1. Yeah, the name is kinda corny and all, but what the hell, it really does look like chocolate somehow, like SOTI said: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlrB09-cLnU

(EDIT: ...chocolate, not chocolade <.<)

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Improvement! Getting rid of bottomless pits is always a welcome thing. Bottomless pits can be a challenge to a point, at which then they just become annoying.

16. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I liked your EHZ1, it's very well done, though I liked EHZ2 more.

Ohwait.

17. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    YOU CAN SEE THE FUTURE?!?!?!

In all sriousness, I can see EHZ2 being just as good or better than EHZ1.

18. Sonic Boom

Sonic Boom

19. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    When I first played it, I thought it was just okay. Then I saw the layout map you posted and I think it's really cool that you have all that hidden stuff. I didn't find any of it XD I also like that you're getting rid of bottomless pits since I fell down a couple (doh)

But yeah good level design, I think you have some good stuff going here.

20. Aerolite

Aerolite

Feel teh powah! Tech Member
    So xdaniel, are you planning on taking this any further? If that layout is any show of what you're capable of, I'd say you'd end up with a really, really well made hack, should you continue. I hope we get to see more. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.