don't click here

Writing a chaotix level editor...

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Lostgame, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Is there any open source level editing programs, at all, for Sonic 1, 2, or 3K?
    I ask because I am writing a program in VB to edit the levels of Sonic Crackers and Chaotix. I just have no idea how... I have the KENS dll's, and I've read the documentation. I've got as far as extracting the level data (from crackers) and displaying the level tiles, but I have not been able to edit them at all.

Also, is there a TLP for the 32x? I was thinking, all we have for missing sprites is the wechidna stuff... we could do a lot more if someone figured out how to open 32x sprites.

2. Drakmyth

Drakmyth

Inspector Drakmyth Master at your service. Oldbie
    In the void beneath the ancient maze...
    Sonic Eclipse 2, Return of the Hidden Palace, Unnamed Sonic 2 Hack
    The only open source level editor that I can think of is SLEEP but that's in Java.

3. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Okay... new request. Open source sonic editing software period. (in VB)

4. Drakmyth

Drakmyth

Inspector Drakmyth Master at your service. Oldbie
    In the void beneath the ancient maze...
    Sonic Eclipse 2, Return of the Hidden Palace, Unnamed Sonic 2 Hack
    I forgot about SHWP. That went open source but I can't seem to find the code anywhere and I'm fairly sure it was in VB. (If someone finds it could they send me a copy. Gerbil's site went down and Sonicology doesn't have the source either.)

5. Icy Guy

Icy Guy

Hedgehog. Sonic the Hedgehog. Member
    California
    GoldenEye 007 level hack
    SLEEP v1.0 source...

...which is written in VB. :)

Anyway, good luck, lostgame. I had thought about writing a Chaotix level editor quite some time ago, but I never really felt any drive to actually do it. Now I'm concentrating on...something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.