don't click here

Wow, I have screens.

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Jayextee, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Very cool. The only suggestion I have would be to make the invincibility music a little faster so you get to hear a little more of it.

Oh ok, and new badniks.

2. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Very nice, I knew it'd look better moving.

You can also use Gens+ to record videos too.

What is the level song btw?

3. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Hahahahah, I know -- Marble Zone sucks, and almost ruins my favourite game ever. Only Wacky Workbench is more game-ruining.

Thanks! Well, uhm. Watch this space, I guess. I have more planned.

Aww, I don't want it to get too old. Especially since, up to yet, six out of six layouts all have at least ONE invincibility monitor somewhere.

One I made myself. What did you think? Since day one I've been wanting my own music (Specifically this track, Cairo Discotheque, because I love it personally. Am I allowed to love my own music?) in my hack. As I get better, I'll be offering new music for people's hacks as well as graphics. But no ports*, that's my rule.

*; Unless I plain feel like it. Toot Toot Sonic Warrior passed that test.

4. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Its awesome. It fits the level very well.

Also I forgot to mention: The level layout is great and its nice and long. I love long levels

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Your choice in voices needs quite a bit of work. Toot Toot Sonic Warrior was pretty underwhelming, and the lead in the level music could use more of a rough, crunchy lead, sort of like in Sandopolis. Add some delay on the melody and you're pretty much set.

The layout is outstanding, and fits your tileset very well. However, I don't like how the level ends - the area with the signpost is traditionally a "home free" area in which there's a relatively long (about a screen width, maybe less) offlat land in which the signpost stands. I like how you placed the bonuses, but I think there could be a flat strip of land shortly after to compliment it.

All in all, this is some pretty awesome stuff.

6. BadCopNoDonut

BadCopNoDonut

O RLY? Oldbie
    Sonic D T
    The music is fine in my opinion, but I agree with Tweaker on the level ending. It needs to be just a flat area like it has been in all Sonic games. The art is awesome in my opinion. For a while I thought the hacking scene was waning, but a lot of promising new people are showing up and making some awesome stuff.

7. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Yeah, wasn't entirely sure of it myself, but I'm toying around with the 'theme' of having a first act that's generally smooth-flowing compared to the second act, usually designed in places to make people insult me. I could probably do with a home stretch, being able to die as the points are tallied isn't fair XD

Agreed with Toot Toot Sonic Warrior, but I like the clean brass lead of Cairo Discotheque; as the name implies, it's kind of a throwback to the early-90's European house music that Sonic CD's JAP/EU soundtrack is quite like -- things like 808 State, The KLF and even some 2Unlimited are aped in it. So, although a rougher lead would sound more thematic, I think I've done that already with the melody, which is only just the good side of cliched.

However;
    Well, I'm just starting out, relatively. I'll see what I can do! :(

8. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Ignore everything he said. I fucking loved the style. God please keep it.

9. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    You know what would be interesting? If there was some way to incorporate two signposts/endings/whatnot a la Super Mario Land 2, where the higher path would lead to some sort of bonus (special stage entrance?)

10. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    that's actually quite an easy feature to add. :P

11. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Spring Yard 2 anyone?

12. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Doesn't lead to a different act 3 entrance, though.

Liking this very much, I look forward to playing it.

13. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    agree'd

14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Just saw the video.
    You win, sir.

15. Verse

Verse

Posts once a year. Oldbie
    Pomona, CA , USA
    Freedom Planet Soundtrack
    Yes.

16. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
    It's just me or the dunes are too red?

17. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    This hack is full of win

18. Upthorn

Upthorn

TAS Tech Member
    Well, invincibility currently ends really oddly. If you want it to sound good you have the choice of either slowing it down, so one loop takes the full time, or speeding it up, so it finishes the second loop just as the powerup wears off. ... or increasing the powerup length on invincibiity. Personally, I'd go with speeding it up. Toot Toot Sonic Warrior doesn't really seem that amenable to slowdown, and increasing invincibility length would just be unbalanced.
    As for the overall sound of it, my main complaint was that it sounded a little off key. A lot of the notes sounded sharp compared to the original, and that got under my skin bit. I'd request pitch-shifting the whole thing down slightly.
    That's all, really.

19. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Just saw the vid. For god's sake give this man membership already.

20. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Yeah, in the video the tune gets to the second round of the "Nothing can survive the will to stay alive..." bit of the chorus, and in normal gameplay the music ends JUST before that section begins; in the video I suffered some slowdown around that point, so the music didn't cut off exactly where it should. I have a workaround for this, might make the tune even better.

I don't know about the key, I'll play around with it. Unfortunately I don't have perfect pitch (Nor will I ever have, I think. Genetic thing in my family, I'm afraid; my hearing is actually a bit oversensitive to higher frequencies) so any music I remake is usually 'almost', which is why I prefer to write my own.

They are. This is just a preliminary palette at the moment. I'll be playing around with some low-saturation purples for these.

As SMTP points out, this is a piece of cake; it can be done solely with the layout. And, I wanted to do it. I kinda second-guessed the community response, and decided it might be a tad unpopular. After all, given some of my layouts, merely finishing an act with 50+ rings is a task in itself!

Thanks! I'll try and keep it up.

Thanks, hahahah. I'll be happy to sit out my trial membership though; if nothing else I'd like some impetus to present something REALLY awesome for my 20th post :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.