don't click here

WIP General Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Lapper

Lapper

England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    [​IMG]

2. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    <!--quoteo(post=327926:date=Jul 8 2009, 02:14 PM:name=Sonica)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sonica @ Jul 8 2009, 02:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327926">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[​IMG]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Now the dome looks too wet.

3. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Although I know it's not in the original - and I'm normally the one to point those things out - but I think the dome would look really cool with it looking more 'metal-plated'[with perhaps small bolts round each plate?], rather than a singular sheet of metal.

I'll see what other people think about that too, first.

4. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Some visual ideas trough a quick PS work:
    [​IMG]

-Took the older and sharper Yellow button
    -Added a new controller box concept
    -The central pipe had some different shading and shape in darker parts.

5. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    <!--quoteo(post=327996:date=Jul 8 2009, 07:12 PM:name=The Growler)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Growler @ Jul 8 2009, 07:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327996">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Although I know it's not in the original - and I'm normally the one to point those things out - but I think the dome would look really cool with it looking more 'metal-plated'[with perhaps small bolts round each plate?], rather than a singular sheet of metal.

I'll see what other people think about that too, first.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Like my Egg-o-matic, that indeed is a nice touch and a awesome idea...

6. MoI

MoI

Rex Member
    Perhaps the small light at the bottom should go off once it's open?

7. Compsense

Compsense

TAKEN OVAR DA LOLS Member
    Oregon, US
    some dance album or summat
    Alrighty, I think this is where this goes..

Recently finished Vincent's AI tutorials (with the help of dual monitors :v:). Great tutorials, if only they had sound. :p

Anywho, here's my first attempted contribution (that I actually have the ability to complete). Nothing big, I wanted to start with something simple.

Original/Mine
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Being the recent "discussions", I tried to put a little bit of detail in them apart from just tracing - it isn't much, but a bit of a grungy look to the metal. The actual full sized raster is 1338x5334, so size shouldn't be an issue.

Edit: Also, the texture can easily be removed if everyone hates it.

8. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

Nice job on the metal. The stripes seem a bit off though.

9. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    It looks pretty good, I think, but we should be able to see some areas on the striped section that denote where a section ends and where another begins. The striped area should also have some better highlights running along them vertically.

10. Compsense

Compsense

Oregon, US
    <!--quoteo(post=328044:date=Jul 8 2009, 06:03 PM:name=RedStripedShoes)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RedStripedShoes @ Jul 8 2009, 06:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=328044">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The stripes seem a bit off though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--quoteo(post=328045:date=Jul 8 2009, 06:06 PM:name=Gambit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gambit @ Jul 8 2009, 06:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=328045">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The striped area should also have some better highlights running along them vertically.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Removed the texture from the stripes, added a color step in the middle to make them slightly brighter, and made them a bit more yellow (less green). This look better?

Original/Old/New
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

<!--quoteo(post=328045:date=Jul 8 2009, 06:06 PM:name=Gambit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gambit @ Jul 8 2009, 06:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=328045">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We should be able to see some areas on the striped section that denote where a section ends and where another begins.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hmm, I'm assuming you mean to add something to the stripes similar to the 4 horizontal lines that run across the left metal bar. I'll try that out!

11. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Why have you drawn the stripes curving?

12. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    <!--quoteo(post=328040:date=Jul 9 2009, 02:49 AM:name=Compsense)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Compsense @ Jul 9 2009, 02:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=328040">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alrighty, I think this is where this goes..

Recently finished Vincent's AI tutorials (with the help of dual monitors :v:). Great tutorials, if only they had sound. :p

Anywho, here's my first attempted contribution (that I actually have the ability to complete). Nothing big, I wanted to start with something simple.

Original/Mine
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Being the recent "discussions", I tried to put a little bit of detail in them apart from just tracing - it isn't much, but a bit of a grungy look to the metal. The actual full sized raster is 1338x5334, so size shouldn't be an issue.

Edit: Also, the texture can easily be removed if everyone hates it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Nice first contribution Compsense! ^^
    Glad the Tutorials were put to use, and sorry for the sound! Being not-English native I preferred some good 'ol text!

As per the Metal texturing, there are no restrictions on Level Art as long as they will finally be coherent with the other parts.
    The work on CPZ had not been started yet, so anything visually "cool" might aid us on the visual style to use for that "Chemical polluted and eroded environment". ;)

13. I would like to see a much dirtier CPZ myself, with rust and corrosion showing plus some paint peeling here and there. Not necessarily a CPZ Bad Future look, but something to indicate chemical wear and tear.

In that spirit, I think that the texture looks a little too stone-like as it is now and should be even grungier.

14. Compsense

Compsense

Oregon, US
    Original/Old/New
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Making a Full-Sized Egg Carrier in Minecraft.
    <!--quoteo(post=328322:date=Jul 9 2009, 11:56 AM:name=Compsense)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Compsense @ Jul 9 2009, 11:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=328322">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Original/Old/New
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've always interpreted those bars as being painted with a spiral patten like that (the black/yellow stripes and their curve you've given them) as well.

Likewise, that rusty texture on the metal is very sexy. I can picture many parts of chemical plant being nasty like that. Good stuff. Very good stuff.

16. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

<!--quoteo(post=328331:date=Jul 9 2009, 12:42 PM:name=McGuirk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (McGuirk @ Jul 9 2009, 12:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=328331">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=328322:date=Jul 9 2009, 11:56 AM:name=Compsense)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Compsense @ Jul 9 2009, 11:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=328322">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Original/Old/New

I've always interpreted those bars as being painted with a spiral patten like that (the black/yellow stripes and their curve you've given them) as well.

Likewise, that rusty texture on the metal is very sexy. I can picture many parts of chemical plant being nasty like that. Good stuff. Very good stuff.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You forgot to get rid of the segment stripes on the second door.

17. if you want my opinion on adding some visual flair to CPZ, have a set of unique tiles that each have sublte differences like rust patterns and paint scratches dotted around the zone as to add some variation, while being spaced out and from a large enough set as to not be noticably repeating at a quick glance.

18. Compsense

Compsense

Oregon, US
    <!--quoteo(post=328338:date=Jul 9 2009, 10:58 AM:name=RedStripedShoes)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RedStripedShoes @ Jul 9 2009, 10:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=328338">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You forgot to get rid of the segment stripes on the second door.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I actually added it in (rather than accidentally not removing it), for this reason.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Gambit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gambit)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We should be able to see some areas on the striped section that denote where a section ends and where another begins.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I also tried to make it look almost like the yellow pipes were "indenting" into the door, expanding the shine right around the segment's edge (the lines).

<a href="http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/1640/cpzgateclosedcloseup.png" target="_blank">http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/1640/cp...osedcloseup.png</a>

At normal zoom it ..wasn't perfect.. but it was better than the other couple things I had tried. Should the "line" really just be on the left metal bar?

19. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    <!--quoteo(post=328322:date=Jul 9 2009, 05:56 PM:name=Compsense)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Compsense @ Jul 9 2009, 05:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=328322">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Original/Old/New

I wouldn't mind seeing it done in chrome as well to get an idea on which one is best. Elratauru, would you mind giving it a try as your chrome effects are spot on.

20. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    <!--quoteo(post=328423:date=Jul 9 2009, 03:04 PM:name=Compsense)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Compsense @ Jul 9 2009, 03:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=328423">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=328338:date=Jul 9 2009, 10:58 AM:name=RedStripedShoes)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RedStripedShoes @ Jul 9 2009, 10:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=328338">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You forgot to get rid of the segment stripes on the second door.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I actually added it in (rather than accidentally not removing it), for this reason.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Gambit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gambit)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We should be able to see some areas on the striped section that denote where a section ends and where another begins.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I also tried to make it look almost like the yellow pipes were "indenting" into the door, expanding the shine right around the segment's edge (the lines).

<a href="http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/1640/cpzgateclosedcloseup.png" target="_blank">http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/1640/cp...osedcloseup.png</a>

At normal zoom it ..wasn't perfect.. but it was better than the other couple things I had tried. Should the "line" really just be on the left metal bar?
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you want them to be indenting into the metal, then the darkest highlight should be at the center and the brightest should be at the edges. I'm not sure if that would look better or not, but you can try it if you like. As for the dividing line thing, not sure. It seems to be a dark highlight on one, and a bright highlight on the other. I'd just say to use your best judgement.