WIP General Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Fred PJ

Fred PJ

<!--quoteo(post=324838:date=Jun 28 2009, 09:37 PM:name=Gambit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gambit @ Jun 28 2009, 09:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=324838">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here's an update for everyone to gaze upon.

[​IMG]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, it does look faithful to the original, however since the high resolution leaves less space to imagination it looks awkward without some grass spikes there. Also on the top, the original had a smoother transition (bigger and sparse grass spikes?) and 3 brighter stripes, not only 2.

By the way, I don't know who made that flower but it doesn't look so good. The flower is too perfectly geometric (remember to have the low res limitations of the original in account) and has wrong colors/shadings. As we've seen on other items work, it's possible to maintain the original look and still make it more detailed and somewhat more realistic.
    For example, how about changing the petals to rounder and more realistic petals like these?

[​IMG]

2. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    My loop that I made wasn't exactly the same size as the original, so I couldn't quite make that spot extend as far back at the beginning of the loop. Instead I had to just line up the curve and make the grass go up where I could. As for the little tiny spikes going up the light green strip on the far side of the loop, that's just experimental and may or may not stay. You have to remember that I'm working on every tile that's related to grass by myself right now, so I have a lot of work to get done.

Right now my main goals are to go back and fix up all the old grass shadow tiles so that they all have the same basic style, and to just get the original tiles done. After these two things are finished, I can go back and make changes to any tiles that need to be changed. So until then, don't expect to see anything change too much from the original tiles.

And about the flower. The old level art coordinator, Sciz made that, I believe. Either that or it was Vincent. Either way, it's fine the way it is. Sure the original was really blocky, but I'm pretty sure that's what they wanted it to look like. They could've easily made it with rounded edges if they wanted to, but they didn't.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. DragonsTrap

DragonsTrap

AP:100 DP:55 CP:56 Member
    It looks great, 2 changes that shouldn't take a lot of work but I think should be done are:
    - there should be larger/thicker spikes at the far-right where they start poking in the direction of the curve. It looks a little too buzz-cut as it is now.
    - the right edge of the grass (in the foreground) looks very abruptly cut off, make it a little more gradual.

Then here are 2 other suggestions, which I think may help..
    - while the original doesn't have spikes.. a think a gradual tapering of spikes may look good
    - as the curve rises.. let the grass rise with it.. so that there appears to be layers of grass at a few depths leading up to it as we enter the third dimension.

I made a quick mockup with levels of blue signifying depth to better explain what I mean.[​IMG]

4. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Gambit work is not only very coherent with the original concept and tiles in great (even with all these colour shades!), but adds a very nice variety with the spikes, shadows and all the line transition in between darker stripes and brighter ones. (zoom in to see them at work!)

Said this, there might be other additions to the Level Art upon Alpha release but the way it is now looks VERY great in context! I hope we'll be able to provide you soon with some high level teasers for your enjoyment! ;)

*About the flower, it was drawn to look like that for a precise purpose, just like the other flowers, to suit an extremely surreal environment. (made by holographic bushes, flowers angel-shaped, sphere-shaped and floating windmill ones!)
    Some of them has also an extra special animation for the stem and petals, but as for now it is "in the works".

DragonsTrap's idea is also nice concept, but there are two problems:

1)The the grass there is flat by a purpose: the Twisted loop blocks flatten the grass.
    2)It will require an additional layer for the player to pass trough the two grass planes.

Anyway any critique is always welcome! ^^

5. Fred PJ

Fred PJ

Just to explain a little better what I meant and why the top looks too plain in my opinion.

Bigger grass spikes/smoother transition:
    [​IMG]

Number of shade stripes:
    [​IMG]

Keep up the great work Gambit, you've been doing some awesome work! :)

6. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Thanks, and here's a breakdown of what's going on with each of those examples and why you may or may not see a change later on with them.

The top example is the most likely to get a touch up because it would be fairly easy to go in and mess with some stuff and maybe make it look a bit more stretched out. So you may see this change later.

The second idea might be cool, but I'm not so sure how that would work out because of the way the tiling system works. I don't think it would work, though I may try it at some point if it's proven that it will work. Although I think I would rather keep true to the original tiles there simply because the loop is supposed to make that section of the level look flat to indicate that the loop is going along the ground line.

The last one will probably not be done simply because my loop is a bit thinner than the original, and as such, I don't have as much horizontal space to fill. I don't think two more strips of grass along there would look very good. Again, though, I may try it at some point.

Oh, and another thing. I've already been making new tiles to add to the stage to make everything fit together better, so expect some really smooth visuals overall once we get around to posting some official teasers. Actually, now that I think about it, I've got several new tiles in that image already, so I guess that's just a taste of what's to come.

7. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    <!--quoteo(post=325704:date=Jul 1 2009, 04:37 PM:name=Fred PJ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fred PJ @ Jul 1 2009, 04:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325704">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just to explain a little better what I meant and why the top looks too plain in my opinion.

Number of shade stripes:
    [​IMG]

Keep up the great work Gambit, you've been doing some awesome work! :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think along with that, I'd suggest to make the grass more like it's 'trailing' up there, rather than it stops abruptly - like in the original sprite.

This is what I mean:
    [​IMG]

8. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    I actually did try that earlier when it was still very much a WIP, but I decided against it. Though that was when I had the original number of strips and they were all really thin and, bleh. Can't remember if I tried that out with the thicker strips or not.

9. Lapper

Lapper

England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy: WW, Freedom Planet 2
    [​IMG]
    final capsule so far

10. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    The step between the highlight and the base colour down the centre looks a little too sharp to me

On the yellow bits, that is

11. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[​IMG]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Ok! ^^

The below yellow thingy looks very blurred and not a definite item with any purpose on the metal plate.
    As the original pixels definition may hint, it could be a metal box with some kind of controller light in the center with a similar shape:

[​IMG]
    (Example grabbed on Google, just imagine a big yellow lamp in the middle)

-The other issue, is for all the white lines used as top of each single metal shading. (when the sides gets darker the white line should also have less white)

-Last one is the rough transition on the spotlight below, on the black & yellow stripes.

Good job on this one anyway, it's shaping up nicely! ^^

12. Lapper

Lapper

England
    Fixed all issues apart from the light. (secretly perfecting it)
    [​IMG]
    Hope this is good!
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The other issue, is for all the white lines used as top of each single metal shading. (when the sides gets darker the white line should also have less white)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not all of them are done on this pic, but as I edit this, they are.

13. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    That's looking much better.

14. Lapper

Lapper

England
    Thanks gambit, even more updates people!
    Top evil dome shaped thing nearly done! (Evil, because I could never do it before).
    Could some one tell me what the 'keyhole' thingy is meant to be?
    [​IMG]
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->EDIT: There are faint colour steps visible, I will remove them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    EDIT 2: Changed image

15. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    don't know If I should say this, but I feel that it looks like...silver colored plastic... Im no expert in metal shades but don't know, that's what I feel ^^U

16. Lapper

Lapper

England
    Still perfecting the metal. I know what you mean.
    :)
    What part are you reffering to exatly though? The dome part?

[​IMG]

17. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    <!--quoteo(post=327589:date=Jul 7 2009, 01:42 PM:name=Sonica)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sonica @ Jul 7 2009, 01:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327589">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Still perfecting the metal. I know what you mean.
    :)
    What part are you reffering to exatly though? The dome part?

[​IMG]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think pretty much all of the silver parts look too smooth and "plastic-like".

18. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[​IMG]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Ok! To make it better, you must at first solve the overall blurriness:

1)Each metal shade uses too many colour transitions and relatively low contrast. The metal colours transition should use rougher shades.
    2)The top bright white line spots, are too extended and blended vertically.

Let's take the Springs in example:
    [​IMG]

-The coils of the red spring have some localized strong spotlight, followed by distinct darker shade (using some dark layers overaly).
    -The white spotlight's glare on the bumper is one pixel exact too, while yours extends too much vertically. (and is repeated in the bottow part too, giving the impression of it being fused with the side metal tubes)

Besides that, keep up with the good job! ;)
    (And I welcome you art guys to make some visual example! ^^ )

19. Lapper

Lapper

England
    Thanks guys, you have made me realise how bad I am at metal shades. Just kidding. Trying to get them better:
    [​IMG]
    Still VERY WIP.

20. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    <!--quoteo(post=327836:date=Jul 8 2009, 12:26 PM:name=Sonica)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sonica @ Jul 8 2009, 12:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327836">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks guys, you have made me realise how bad I am at metal shades. Just kidding.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hahaha, the art of metal shadding requieres lot of time at looking real metals and how they reflect light, diferent paint types and metal shades...

Right now...its ok, but its still blurrier...It seem you need to sharp that metal reflections...Look the spring for example, the red part...see? the gradient its hard in the white-red part...because of lighting...

You need localized lighting in the white shines... I mean, reduce the brightness overall, and add little more contrast... don't really know looking that right now ^^U