don't click here

WINE Direct3D framework for Windows!

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Mad Echidna, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    I'm sure you guys are thinking "why the fuck would I want this". Well, here's why

This is something I think alot of you fangame folks could benefit from.

http://www.nongnu.org/wined3d/

2. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Oh shit, the "Open Source" proposal gets more interesting everyday!

3. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Yay! Now can someone please get this to work on Mac OS X's wine so I can run Mod2PSG using a screen magnifier (which I can't do on Windows because my screen magnifier interferes with DirectX)? Thanks!

4. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    So all this does is make my D3D games run slower and slightly uglier?

Cool.

5. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    fu

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Ignoring the troll, this looks interesting, if for no other reason than the Direct3D backwards compatibility. D3D 10 on XP is interesting - moreso if they do DirectX as well (I'm thinking specifically of 10 and 11 here).

7. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Yes, not only is backwards compatibility a major plus, but also cases where one may not have a video card that "supports" a particular version of DX.

The reason I would like to see community project use this if they absolutely MUST use DirectX as an api *cough*sonic2hd*cough* this ensures a larger potential user base.

8. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Why would you need a Windows screen magnifier when you can just use Control+Mouse scroll?

9. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    He probably has bad eyesight

10. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    Sonic 2 HD already does NOT require using Direct3D. It has an OpenGL render codepath.

Wine's D3D implementation can be hardware accelerated on Windows, as long as your graphics driver came with an OpenGL module.

My experience with combining S2HD with Wine's D3D implementation has shown that the images are a bit smoother and more pleasing than when using the Microsoft's D3D implementation. As of right now, I haven't been able to get Mesa3D (a software OGL renderer) compiled to use with WineD3D instead of my hardware OpenGL driver, so I haven't tried it yet with Mesa3D.

The Wine Project is working on DirectX 10 and 11 support in Wine, and because Direct3D 10/11 goes through WineD3D to OpenGL, it will also work on Windows 2000 and XP.

11. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    Hmm... I need to try this with VirtualBox and see if it circumvents the nasty little Direct3D problem that VirtualBox has with windows.

12. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    VirtualBox already includes Wine code to circumvent the D3D HW acceleration issue. However, Windows has to be booted into safe mode in order to install the D3D HW acceleration code.

13. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Yeah, this is exactly how I became aware of Vbox in the first place. The latest version has a think in the menu you can click to download Wined3d automatically, just like the vbox driers.

14. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
  15. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Yeah, I do. And Ctrl+wheel won't work on every program, like Mod2PSG =P

16. Axel Letterman

Axel Letterman

The Saiyan Hedgehog Member
    All right, now I can play Half-Life 2 in OpenGL finally (Well, sort of).

Thanks for bringing this up.

17. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Sorry, my bad. I misread your post.
    I was referring to the Control+Mouse zoom built into OS X, but your post was saying that it doesn't work under WINE in OS X.

18. I didn't even think of this usage!

This is really worth a try, if they really get the whole effects backported! :)

19. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    It's simply a matter of reverse engineering. DX is sort of like python and open GL is sort of like C. It's easier to code shit for DX because there are already specific effects available to declare as variables, whereas OpenGL is more straightforward. At the end of the day it's not that different to interpret dx stuff as opengl stuff

20. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    No, Mod2PSG doesn't work on wine in OS X. It either crashes with a failure to set video mode or general exception.