don't click here

WindowsZone

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by MainMemory, Mar 31, 2010.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    There's nothing I can do about that without making special collision handling for it, and I would rather just have it ignored completely.

2. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2

That would be weird, but impossible, since in the editor there is no recognition where any collisions are (only in runner).

Although somthing like that would be pretty impressive.

Speaking of Sonic Maker... No one is posting! Boo hoo.
    http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=20635

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Well, I updated both WindowsZone and the sprite editor. Now I've implemented a Motobug enemy and getting hurt with ring loss. I also removed the 10 rings at startup, added window and object counters to the debug info, and now I'm using DirectSound for sound, which means it can play multiple sounds at once, but only when it's focused.
    Also now the Z key works like the A button in debug mode, switching between a ring and a motobug.

Unfortunately, it seems that the same collision checks used for the windows don't work so well with objects... but I may have the answer, hold on a bit. FIXED.

4. S1impikenz

S1impikenz

Sonic 1 layout hack
    I don't know if anyone else is having the same problem with the latest version, but when I try to destroy the motobug, by either rolling, jumping, or spin-dashing, the application crashes.
    but other than that, everything else works great! So, Keep it up!

5. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Yes, that was an oversight on my part... I fixed it.
    Also, now there's also a Spike (Yadrin) enemy/player.
    And there's a menu option that'll let you randomly generate a number of any or all of the objects you can place in debug.
    And I've properly implemented a lives counter. Increases when you collect 100 rings (plays the S&K music), decreases when you die. Lose all your lives and you get a game over, the music plays and the program closes.

I also changed the HUD color to yellow, I would like to use the S1 HUD font, but I'm lacking several letters.

6. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    You can use the font from the Sonic CD title screen menus/press start text.

7. Awesome stuff! Improvements are nice!

I thought the "spike" you were talking about was a literal set of spikes, not the enemy! Its neat you can control him as well!

Anyway, when trying to move a window with it on, the sounds just stop working! I have to go into the Options, disable and re-enable the sounds to make them work again!

Another issue I had was that you could brake to turn around and hear multiple braking sounds! I don't really like that.

Is Sonic standing inside Windows gone for good? I liked that feature. D:

Also its sweet that you can die enough to end the game...but you should add Game Over text that appears with the music!

And maybe even add a Windows Zone Act 1 Title card in the middle of the screen before dropping Sonic? :D

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I'll call those "SpikesH" and "SpikesV". And yeah, since Spike is just a minor hack of Motobug, why not make it a playable character as well!
    I know it stops when it loses focus (could somebody tell me a way to fix it?), but for me I just have to click on Sonic again.
    fixing.
    I think so... I liked that too...
    Planning on it.
    Possibly, but which style? I've got both S3K and S1 styles going on here.

Also, a question: Should I make it so that Sonic will spill as many Rings as he has, or keep it at 32 like it is now?
    And if anybody would like to see a certain item/enemy/whatever, feel free to suggest it.

9. Comments in Bold.

Suggestions:

EASY
    Spikes Object
    Shield (basic for starters)
    Buzzer (controllable all directions. Press a button to shoot!)
    StarPost (puts Sonic there when he dies)

HARD
    Eggman in Eggmobile (Enemy or player controlled?)
    Chaos Emeralds (Either collectible on desktop or in pop-up Special stages activated by StarPosts)
    Super Sonic (Needs all 7 Emeralds, super music plays)

10. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Um, yes for which one? :v:

Getting a PLAYABLE Buzzer would require me to make all new player code, whereas all the current characters use Sonic's code. An enemy Buzzer wouldn't be too hard probably. And JUST Eggman in his Eggmobile would be very simple to make. I might be able to make the GHZ Boss or something, maybe...

Also, I worked at it a bit, and now I'm just missing J, K, Q, V, W, X, Y and Z, which I think are beyond my (limited) artistic abilities.

11. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I don't know why it's taken me so long to try this out and reply in the thread, but I finally have.

I have to hand it to you; this is really cool. Back when I used Windows 95 (shudder), there were always a bunch of dippy apps that made roaches run across your screen and junk like that, and I always wished there was a Sonic one, because that would be so much cooler. Well, if only I'd known all I had to do was wait a decade! :v:

You've also done a great job of implementing the physics from the SPG, with proper enemy rebound and everything. :thumbsup:

Do you plan on adding balancing animations when he's on the edges of windows?

12. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Without the SPG, the physics wouldn't be anywhere near as good as they are now. So thank you for making that information accessible to me.

And yes I do.

Also, should this have a wiki page?

13. Sweetness.

Also to the Wiki page, yes...under Fan Games.

Cause its a fan game for your desktop!!

14. SonarDragon

SonarDragon

I can't use any of the menus at all, the controls just lock onto Sonic, I have to use Ctrl+Alt+Delete to exit.

15. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    What? Not even Alt-F4 works?

16. Nibble

Nibble

Oldbie
    I'm guessing he's running XP. In XP, WindowsZone seems to completely take over the user's input regardless of focus. The only way you can access the systray icon (or anything else for that matter) is to press the windows key which forces focus onto the taskbar. But WindowsZone takes over again as soon as you go into its Options or open some other window.

Is it just me, though? Not too many others seem to be reporting it, but they also seem to be running Windows 7.

17. SonarDragon

SonarDragon

She, and yeah, that's exactly my problem. It's really annoying to have to exit the entire thing to go back to anything else.

18. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I know that Morph aka SonicFreak94 has Windows XP and hasn't seen the problem you speak of since the early versions.

Also, thanks to FraGag I am adding support for objects in DLL files, so you'll be able to make your own objects. Not that I expect you to, it'll just be an option.

Edit: I don't suppose any of you would be able to explain how Obj79_Twirl (Lamppost twirl code) works, so I can have it in WindowsZone?

19. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Updated, with 4 different types of Spikes, a Lamppost, a speed booster from Sonic Advance, ledge animations for Sonic, support for external object code (\objects), a GAME OVER message, and text giving the name of the current object in Debug mode.

Edit: whoops, there was a bug with loading characters. It's fixed now.

20. Spikes are nice, Lamppost is awesome, speed booster is cool, ledge animations are sick, and the Game Over message is win!

Issues? The Game Over message is way to blurry looking. Maybe make it smaller?

Lamppost is the Sonic 1 version. A way to change its look?