don't click here

Wild unfounded speculation

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by doc eggfan, Oct 24, 2012.

1. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Has anyone ever joined the dots between

Sega Jupiter - an unreleased cartridge-based home console with specs similar to the Saturn

and

Sega Titan Video (ST-V) - a cartridge-based arcade board with specs similar to the Saturn

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I'm not sure the Jupiter ever had similar specs to the Saturn. Other than it was a "32-bit cartridge-based console". I'd imagine it had more in common with the 32X.

My understanding is that Sega slapped extra processors and stupid stuff to the system as a last minute response to the PlayStation, I.e. well after the Saturn was announced (and possibly even demonstrated?!). ST-V came after that, a bit like the Dreamcast/NAOMI relationship

3. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Everyone keep saying that the Saturn got a last minute extra processor due to a knee-jerk reaction after seeing the playstation presentation, but I just don't see any proof of that. As far as I know, the PS1 was first demonstrated in 1993 december, and by that time most of the Saturn hardware should have been virtually complete, at least as far as design, according to the dev docs we have. The only revisions we know of are a few minor additions to the VDP1 between 93 dec -> 94 feb, and several updates to the SCU which are mainly bios related. The earliest actual silicon I've seen dates to 1994 May (and its final hardware, not engineering samples!).

4. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    the both VDPs are designed to work together from the beginning. Only thing that strikes out on the Saturn is that 1MB of DRAM next to SDRAM, it is just put on the bus with some buffers...

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Actually I take that back

http://retrogaming.blog128.fc2.com/blog-entry-18.html

That's from June 1994. So yes I suppose the ST-V is similar... though I'm pretty sure the ST-V hardware didn't debut until 1995 - a good few months after the Saturn.

6. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Do we have a release month for Golden Axe: The Duel? That's the only ST-V game MAME lists as being from 1994...

7. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    ROM internal date is 1995 01 17. MAME tends to be a joke pretty often by the way.

8. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Well it's our job to un-joke-ify it by finding out what exactly is the right information (and that's the one issue with most arcade sites out there: they don't cover exact release information... if that information is even recoverable at all) :/ In any case I guess that kills the games marked 1994?

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]
    ?