don't click here

Wii Virtual Console Errors

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Crasher, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    I grabbed a Wii off TradeMe, picked it up yesterday and tried it out today. It came with Pokemon Puzzle League preinstalled, and I tried it out a few hours ago.

However, when I tried it out, my TV threw a "Mode not Supported" error. I unplugged the cables and put them into my incredibly small, Mono Tube TV and checked it out. It was fine, the game booted up perfectly fine. I turned off the Wii, checked out the Internet and did the supposed 'fix' (Z + A + 2 on the Nunchuck+ Controller), and that didn't work. It doesn't even allow me to see the Wii menu, it just stays at the screen. I'm not really sure what to do TBH, as I got the Wii for both GC compatibility as well as the Virtual Console, and now VC won't work. It's most likely due to the fact that the Wii is PAL, and the TV is from America, but other people seem to have this problem as well.

So, is there any fix?

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Just one question, did you use the same cable for connecting the console to each of the TVs?

If you're using two different cables, try using the one that works in the old TV, in the newer one.

3. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Chances are Pokémon Puzzle League is trying to force a "240p" or "288p" video mode (15 kHz non-interlaced). Some HDTVs don't properly support this mode.

The Z+A+2 trick is supposed to force interlaced mode, but it's possible that Pokémon Puzzle League wasn't updated to support it - or it may have been updated, but the update wasn't downloaded. Check the Wii Shop Channel to see if there's an update available.

4. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    I have tried both types of cables (composite and component) on the HDTV, but as the old tube does't have component support (only has Red and Yellow plugs), I can't test component on another TV. Composite is Black and White on the HDTV, most likely due to the fact it's from America. PPL does work with composite on the HDTV.

I'll try that out soon.

Edit: Got the format wrong.

5. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    What model is the TV? I'm pretty sure my LG 55LS5700 supports PAL properly, though I haven't checked using composite video. (It works for 576p ATSC channels.)

Keep in mind that most HDTVs nowadays are essentially the same hardware globally, but with minor software customizations for different markets.

6. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    It is a Samsung LN55B650T1F. It was bought around 2010.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I was asking because there's many VC games that just plain don't work with a component cable, and were never fixed to add support for it (nor will ever be).

8. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    The issue isn't necessarily that the games don't work with component cables - it's that the TV doesn't support "240p" (or "288p") on component. Usually it will work on composite though.

Samsung TVs have upgradeable firmware, so check to see if your TV needs a firmware update. That may help with regards to 15kHz non-interlaced mode.

The current version of the LN55B650T1FUZA's firmware is 1012.3: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/LN55B650T1FUZA

9. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    So apparently my TV sn't supported by Samsung, or just doesn't exist.

It's a LN55B650 | LN55B650T1FXZS. It was bought in Chile about 3 years ago.

Here's the model number, model code, and type number. Not really sure what I'm supposed to do.

[​IMG]

Firmware is version 1016.1. Doesn't seem like it needs to be updated, as the latest for FUZA is 1012.3, as well as FXZA.