don't click here

Wii VGA Cables

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

My TV is annoying. It's got full 1080p HD capabilities with HDMI and VGA ports, but no component cable ports. And the other problem is that Nintendo don't make any official Wii VGA cables I often see things like this floating around. A few videos on Youtube show that the video cuts out at odd times, like whenever you kill someone on No More Heroes or go back to the main menu from the channel start up screen, but they sometimes seem fine. Is it worth buying one or are they generally crap? Or is there another alternative?

2. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    I have a Neoya X2VGA2 (component video to VGA transcoder), and it works pretty well. I've only noticed dropouts on one monitor, a Dell UltraSharp 1900FP. All other monitors have worked fine in my experience. Also, the X2VGA2 features an "easy setup" mode, which upscans a 480i image so it's viewable on monitors that don't support 480i (I.e. almost all PC monitors). The "easy setup" mode is only suitable for changing the console's video mode to 480p or higher though, since the image is flickery and stretched in that mode.

Neoya seems to have stopped production on the X2VGA2, and their website says they will be releasing another X2VGA product in the summer. However, they do have a Wii-specific "Wii2HDMI" device, which converts the component video signal from the Wii to an HDMI signal. It won't increase the quality any more than a regular component video setup, but it may help for your cabling arrangement.

Neoya's website: http://www.neoya.com/

3. Personally, I don't know of any good Wii VGA cables, but I do advise being careful when looking at third-party cables online. I remember when I was looking for a decent S-Video cable for SNES/N64/GC, and I had to wade through a ocean of crap until I found a decent cable.

That been said, I think Gerbil's got the best idea in this situation. That way, if you have a console that isn't HDMI compatible or has hard-to-find VGA cables (like the PS2 and original Xbox) you will be able to use those as long as you had component cables for them.

That been said, that Wii2HDMI thing looks really interesting. I might just pick one of those up as I'm replacing one of my TVs with a monitor (with a DVR as a tuner).

4. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    [LINK]

I use this for my monitor and it works fantastic without lag or audio problems. My component cables cost me $30 and that converter box cost me $50. Too bad the Wii isn't a more powerful system because in the long run, it would have actually saved me money. <_<

Edit-

Proof that product works well.

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Thanks for the info guys. That particular box sounds really good W.A.C. I think I might get that sometime in the future.