don't click here

Wii VC audio glitch on MD games

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Tom41, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    I'm sure we all know about the inaccuracies in sound with Sega's MD emulator for the Wii Virtual Console (such as the end panel in Sonic games), but this glitch I've been having takes the cake. Sometimes, when I load up a VC MD game, Sonic or otherwise, the sound is very crackly - as if it's being played through a faulty amp. The only way to resolve this is to go back to the Wii menu and reload the game; resetting the emulation doesn't work!

Anyone have any idea why this happens, and what (if anything) can be done to stop it happening when I play MD games on the Wii?

I've attached a sound file - it's Sonic Spinball going through its startup and demo mode, with the audio problem. Oddly it only affects the right channel on this recording, although I have had it affect both channels before on Sonic 3...

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Also, I believe the sound skips each 5 seconds or so, at least with the first games they released. Streets of Rage 2 sounds terrible due to all this.

Some of these bugs might be caused by the 50Hz conversion, by the way.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Conversion? I thought they were using 50Hz ROMs for the EU titles, as opposed to the 60Hz NTSC ones.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well, yeah, I just meant porting the emulator to PAL systems. It uses a different screen mode, and it might not be optimized to handle it properly.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Oh, OK. Fair enough =P