don't click here

Why the SRB2 hate?

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lostgame, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phithpleis

Phithpleis

Nein Member
    Your location
    Current Project
    Uh, the problem? No loops, not much slopes, there may be tubes, I think.

2. Kanaju

Kanaju

SRB2? I haven't played that thing in forever. :v:

Really, it's just a modified version of Doom. But it's still fun.

3. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    While we're on the subject, Half-Life is just a modified version of Quake. Almost everything about the engine is improved and there's a completely different atmosphere about the game, but that's basically what it is. The same goes for SRB2 and Doom.

But I'm not going to lie about the community, it's utter shit. I never understood the drama surrounding the master server and role-playing. I can't stand role-players myself, but I don't get why they're demonized to such an extent. People are taking it way too fucking seriously.

Finally, I don't get why people complain about, of all things, the lack of loops. That's just being narrow minded. Loops don't work in 3D anyway unless you take the Sonic Adventure route and switch to a different viewpoint and force the player through. If we did this, we'd have people bitching about it instead. And no slopes? That's easily worked around with good level design. Simple, gradual increases in floor height may not look visually appealing, but they get the job done. So in the end product basically you have a game where you play has Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles, running through fantasy levels jumping on robots and TV monitors and collecting rings. Does that sound familiar to you? It should, that's classic Sonic.

4. corneliab

corneliab

I actually saw a working loop in a Marble Zone level someone created awhile back. It was scripted, to be sure, but kind of neat to see it pulled off.

Anyways, I like SRB2 a ton (the Mystic Realm pack in particular). It's a very impressive effort, and the soundtrack is really damn good. I kind of wish Sonic would actually break when you pulled back when running, but that's my only real complaint when it comes to handling. There's lots of platforming and a ton of ways to go about the stages. They're very open.

I will agree with those who seem to be somewhat iffy about the community. It's always seemed strange to me that the multiplayer aspect of a Sonic game would seemingly generate more hype and anticipation than the single player experience. Also, the administration seems somewhat stiffling and boarderline elitist in some cases, having browsed around for awhile. I don't know.

I'm very much looking forward to the final release in July. The new stages look downright snazzy, and the improved Knuckles sprites will actually make him worth using.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.