don't click here

Why Sonic 2?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Ultima, Feb 16, 2013.

1. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    At one point I could jump the barrel in under a minute as long as there was no Tails (or I plug in second controller to move him away). Bubble shield helps a ton too.

But nowdays I use up/down.

2. Jayextee

Jayextee

Monochrome Cat Game Guy™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Didn't this thread used to be about Sonic 2?

Retro's Law - "As an online discussion about Sonic the Hedgehog grows longer, the probability of the topic turning into one that involves that specific Carnival Night Zone act 2 barrel approaches 1."

3. Sonic 2 just keeps people's attention more, thinking about it. In pretty much every stage you can go fast, keeping the attention of younger players. The colours in the stages are the most friendly, compared to Sonic 1 or 3. While Green Hill is very iconic, the colours used don't exactly give off a really friendly, easy feel to it, with the darkish blue water behind and the strong green and browns used. Meanwhile emerald hill is full of light greens and browns with a nice view of the sea(which in itself is all light and calm, with the sun shining on it and some unexplored island in the background), making it feel very warm and moreso relaxing. And Angel island is pretty dark until it catches on fire, which isn't exactly something you'd get a calm relaxing feeling from.

4. dsrb

dsrb

I precisely disagree. Green Hill Zone looks far more lively and sunny. Emerald Hill Zone looks like a day where you go out to walk around nature to clear your head but end up getting lightly rained on and feeling worse. Is that a terrible metaphor? Probably. OK, EHZ has more subdued colours, less variation and detail, and much more stern and non-happy music. As a first level, it pales compared to GHZ in terms of being bright and welcoming.

5. Yes, Green Hill looks more lively due to all the waterfalls and moving flowers and such, but Emerald Hill seems more relaxed, with a calm sea and just a generally brighter pallete.

Basically when you start up Sonic 2, you're greeted to the title screen with a open field at the bottom, which is also the backdrop for emerald hill, which in turn shows that there's not much to be afraid of in this stage. Meanwhile Sonic 1 shows nothing but water instead, which kinda invokes that fear of death due to bottomless pits or to a lesser extend, the dreaded drowning music. Basically, Emerald Hill looks like it'll screw you over less.

stylistically though Green Hill is better, but emerald hill is more for newcomers. And back then everyone was a newcomer to Sonic, which is probably why Sonic 2 is regarded as the most popular.

and incase you're wondering, I definitely prefer Green Hill as a starting stage in terms of art and music, but I think that's because of the fact I've played the classics to death now.

6. dsrb

dsrb

What open field?
    [​IMG]

If anything, Sonic 1's title screen looks more welcoming because the body of water doesn't seem to stretch so far out into the distance; you can see some land and waterfalls relatively nearby.
    [​IMG]
    Swimming across certainly looks easier, anyway. So if we're taking environmental cues as subconscious encouragement or discouragement to new players, GHZ wins again.

As for the levels in-game, I can only stand by what I already said. EHZ isn't exactly a horror carnival as an opening level, but it's nowhere near as bright and cheerful as GHZ.

7. Tanks

Tanks

I'd like to just point out this thread is here to pick the "token" Sonic game. Sonic CD is by no means that game. It never will be. It is the black sheep of the classic series and while it may be GOOD and ENJOYABLE, that does not make it THE classic Sonic game. The fundamental point of the Sonic series, from 1-3 (excluding CD) is to have sonic master his right-ward environment so that you can maximize and maintain a higher speed while collecting and holding onto as many rings as possible. That's the core gameplay. Exploration is simply a part of reaching this point and is only relevant when you're learning to play. Play styles differ, old ways die-hard. I still stop for that whole section of rings at the bottom of CPZ 1 in Sonic 2, but again, core-gamplay is still in there because I'm hightailing it right moments later.

Sonic CD is Sonic on drugs. Its trying to take the Sonic playstyle and make it do things it was not originally intended to do. It introduced some fun elements like time travel and the various objectives that go with that. It certainly had tougher platforming. But that's the problem, these are things that are uncommon in the Sonic series. And I mean... Fuck... Wacky Workbench is by the far the easiest thing to point at and say "This is not Sonic at all." There is no real way to master that environment for speed and ring collection. Its one that focuses heavily on upward exploration in order to, I assume, lead you to the hidden badnik machine. Even if you memorize its location it can take you upwards of about 3-4 minutes just to get through the level. Even Collision Chaos is guilty of this in some cases albeit its a lot more streamlined in this regard and not bouncing you the fuck all over the place like WW does.

As for which game I'd pick? Probably Sonic 2. It refined much of Sonic 1's flaws and really polished the gameplay up, removing the speed cap and adding much better physics and level design. People hate me for this but I think Sonic 2 made Sonic a lot less boring... I don't want to get too detailed but I feel like Sonic 3 may be the better game in the long run, but it wasn't that sort of polish to the core gameplay you saw from Sonic 1 to 2. It was more innovations in how the game looked, sounded, and how immersed you became in the story. I will say though that Sonic 3 should be used as an example for how to tell a good story. :P

8. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

A green crystal Member
    Maybe this open field?

:v:

[​IMG]

hahahaha

9. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Fun Fact: The water on the S1 title screen and the "field" on the S2b title screen are exacly the same height and are segmented in a very similar way.

10. winterhell

winterhell

What about longevity and save states?
    Not only is Sonic 3 easier but it also has save states that allow you to basically save every 10 minutes or so and giving you 3 lives at the beginning of the zone. I've never played S3 / S&K /S3K with saves so I wouldn't know about this, but IMO it ruins the whole game.|
    So I'm wondering: if Sonic 3 type of save system does ruin the game, then how long can the game be with no saves that is acceptable? Each of the 4 cartridges amount to ~ 1 hour gameplay (longplays.org) and S3K takes 2 hours to beat. Would you play the game nowadays if it requires you to spend 2 hours at a time to beat?

11. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Son of a

12. dsrb

dsrb

Haha, when you put it like that, it's obvious that they just changed the graphics but left the parallax and layering exactly the same. LAZY BETA SONIC TEAM

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    ...wow, that's somewhat mind blowing. =P I guess that might be why they ended up changing it in the end?

14. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

15. Jayextee

Jayextee

Monochrome Cat Game Guy™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Wasn't Sonic 2 literally just content pasted into Sonic 1, anyway?

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Basically, yeah. From what we know of the dev history, Sonic 2 was essentially the world's first Sonic ROM hack =P

17. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I've never gotten so much joy out of a rookie mistake!

Anyways, I'm still trying to figure out why everyone thinks Sonic 2 came off as so well polished. I mean, an entire element of the game was cut out that was promised by King Naka (then half ass copy/pasted/expanded in S3&K). Also, cutting out a level recolor and an original level theme for an in-game level copy with extra bottomless pits and adding in a little lava (of which had a sudden change in behavior between islands....see Marble Zone and Hill Top Zone for lava reference).

But hey, not all the popular products in the world are the best!

18. dsrb

dsrb

Most of the game was cut. The more I think about it, the more I disappoint. I get nostalgia from EHZ, CPZ, and the last two Zones, but that's it. I find the rest of it considerably overrated.

As a disclaimer, I distinctly remember waiting in Index - no, wait: it gets even more nostalgic than that! - with my parents to get the game, then dying to get home and fire it up on my super-old black-and-white TV with analogue tuning dial. So, I can understand nostalgia for it! But that hasn't stuck.

IMO, Sonic 2 wasn't a great upgrade - in retrospect, when compared to Sonic 3. It's by no means bad. But neither is it anywhere near what it could have been.

19. Hukos

Hukos

Welp, my mind has been officially blown. :v:

Is that going to be added to the database or not?