don't click here

Why is everyone obsessed with Sonic 2?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Hayate, Feb 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    S3&K is WAY better than S2! So why has everyone made hacks of it?

In fact, if SonED supported editing S3&K's tiles as well as just level layout, I would never have made S2OP, I would have made S3&KP instead. :P

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Maybe they just like the Sonic 2 objects better, or the shields, or the engine...

And I'm not sure, but maybe the in-game cutscenes could be a problem when trying to add your own levels.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    1. This website is about Sonic 2
    2. This topic should be in Engerneering & Reverse Editing.
    3. S&K has 3 characters to deal with.
    4. If you really want a challange, try Sonic 3D!
    5. Does anybody ever make GG hacks?

4. Kama

Kama

Sittin on my Bench, Watchin the sunset. Member
    Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    Becoming a freelance artist and writer
    Sonic 2 has way more mysteries surronding it than Sonic 3. Sonic`s sprite looks like crap in Sonic 3 but this is just my opinion.

5. Everlast

Everlast

Pending Member
    Sonic 2 has tons of Mysteries behind it while Sonic 3 doesent't have much on it.

6. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Sonic 2 is way easier to hack than S3+K.

7. Trigahd

Trigahd

I am your gahd!! Member
    Somewhere in the skies
    Nothing worth mentioning
    Sonic 2 is much easier to hack then Sonic 3 and Knuckles.
    1. Sonic 2 can be editted in many programs that S3K can't
    2. More mysterious
    3. This is a Sonic 2 site
    4. S3K has a storyline making it a little harder to hack.

Pretty much an overall summary of what everyone said :) .

BTW, this doesn't belong in the E&RE. This topic has nothing to do with hacking a game, or any of that matter.

8. Bleeding Cut

Bleeding Cut

Dr. Knuckles Member
    Also, S3&K has waaaay too many glitches. At least in Sonic 2, it`s not as bad. There may be a glitch here and there, like Easter Eggs. But in S3&K.....*whew* It`s like Christmas everyday—after a while, it gets old. :)

9. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    To be specific: A Sonic 2 beta site

...But in general: A Sonic 2 site.

But we also have the Sonic 2 beta, which makes this more interesting.

10. Personally, I like Sonic 2 better. Also, it easier to hack ,in my opinion...

11. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    I'm pretty sure that cutscenes are caused either by x location or by certain events (eg angel island act 2 boss cleared). It only needs one experienced person to look into it and then we all know how it works. So it's rather surprising that nobody has! If I could decode as well as I could code, I would've figured it out ages ago.

So?

I don't want a challenge. All I want is a decent S3&K ROM editor.

S3&K isn't on the GG.

So? You don't make a hack because the beta was baffling. You make a hack because it's a good game. If I suddenly discovered a S3&K beta and posted it here, would everyone start making S3&K hacks? Hm?

To put it simply, S2O > S3&K > S2 > S1.

But that doesn't affect level edits.

I know, I find glitches all the time, but that shouldn't discourage you from making hacks.

12. Sonic 3 And Knuckles has glitches in it? Really? After owning these games since they came out I've never encountered any glitches in them, and only ever seen one in Sonic 2. Or is this like some kind of hacking glitch?

BobXP has a good point, it's like you're saying that Knuckles being there and the Chaos Emerald plotline makes htis game more difficult to hack. But it's the same plot in Sonic 2, just without Knuckles (Sonic and Tails travel to a new Island, encounter Eggman, have to find the Emeralds, Sonic goes to space, turns Super, beats the Death Egg, falls back to Earth).

I don't know anything about hacking but why should this game be any different from Sonic 1 or 2 or any other game? Oh yeah, and, Sonic 3's sprites are much better than Sonic 2's. Each Sonic game has had progressively better sprites (except Spinball, which were good but not better than Sonic 1/2).

13. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles is technically more confusing when it comes to hacking. It is very complex and can be hard to figure out. So, when people went to go make hacking programs they focused more on Sonic 1 and 2 because they are much easier to work with.

14. .hack//zero

.hack//zero

Working on a vulkan game engine for fun. Learning Ray-Tracing.
    Sonic 2 Omega?? :shocked: :shocked:

15. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    It's a ROM hack, genius. Check his signature for more information.

EDIT: You have a screenshot of Sonic 2 Omega in your signature... so why did you act like you thought Sonic 2 Omega was a new beta version?

16. Fiz

Fiz

FACKIN' BIG PENIS Oldbie
    PENIS
    I think he is just suprised that he said Sonic 2 Omega was better than the other games, or whatever was said.

17. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Yep, most palette hacks are pathetic but this one is better than S3&K's sprites... it's the darker blue that makes it look good :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.