don't click here

why doesn't SCD

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by POIZON THE HEDGEHOG, Dec 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    It's not a real DOS shell. It's a pseudo-DOS lookalike.

2. fuzzbuzz

fuzzbuzz

Tech Member
    Here
    Many Many Programming/hacking tools...
    It's all the same. =)

3. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    It's not. The original DOS was an operating system, with Windows acting as a fdriendly face. It was an operating environment. The with Win95 it incorporated DOS more and became an operating system. DOS was always the operating system until Win95 came along.

4. AndyAML

AndyAML

Canada
    burp
    Windows is just DOS with a clown suit on it. :D

I really don't know why they ditched DOS nowadays, makes playing old games a bitch.

5. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    Windows WAS DOS with a clown suit until Win95. Now it's just the clown suit.

6. Simon

Simon

Oldbie
    Windows 95 doesn't "incorporate" DOS. It's the other way around -- Windows 95 is based on DOS. So is Windows 98 and Me. The computer first loads DOS, THEN it loads Windows. Everytime you see the Windows 95 splash screen, it is in DOS. Whenever a program needs DOS support, Windows 95 simply spawn another instance of its native shell -- command.com -- and run stuff in it. No emulation needed.

Windows NT, 2000 and XP is an entire different story. They aren't based on DOS, they don't run on top of DOS, they don't need DOS. The cmd.exe is a "command prompt interpreter", nothing more, nothing less. It accepts DOS-like commands but it does things in its own NT way.

7. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Hmm... I have an old set of Win3.1 disks. Maybe I can upload DOS to a website for you to download. :o

And Windows wasn't a clown suit - it was a monkey-shaped, alchoholic, pie-stuffing, bleach-drinking clown suit that makes fast, accurate mistakes. It has debugging and programming features - debug takes bugs out, programming puts them in.

8. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    I actually know a site with an Open Source version of DOS, but not so sure if it'll work:

www.freedos.org

Would someone try it out for me? ^^;

9. XFox Prower

XFox Prower

x86 Assembly, Tails Search Assistant
    I have DOS 6.22. But copying all the files of a bootdisk doesn't work to make a bootdisk, a disk must be formatted or modified to be a bootdisk (format /s or the sys.com to do the transfer). If anyone knows of a program (that works in DOS of course) to read and write floppy images (thus making a boot disk without having to use the postal service). I'm sure there's some way to do that, and it surprises me that I don't have a utility to do so. I have a wide variety of DOS utilities to do just about anything else though.

10. POIZON THE HEDGEHOG

POIZON THE HEDGEHOG

Pending Member
    c'mon, hurry! if you iso it and upload it, I can make a disk and play it!!!!!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:
    EDIT: :drool:

11. dtrr138

dtrr138

But, if you really want to play SCD on XP, you will have to go to properties from the main EXE file. Set it to the WIN95 Compatibility Mode, and check off DISABLE VISUAL THEMES and ENABLE 256 COLORS. :evil:

12. LMFAO! I feel sorry for you with the slow computer

13. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    *klaxon*

It's not as simple as compatability modes. There are files DOS has than XP doesn't.

Compatability modes, by the way, are crap. They haven't helped a bit on any program I've tried to run.

14. dtrr138

dtrr138

GOD! I HATE MICROSOFT! I'd RATHER BE USING MY OLD 386 DOS MACHINE THAN BE USING WINDOWSXP! (or atleast not have a computer)
    I wish I hadn't thrown out my Windows98 cds now

15. XFox Prower

XFox Prower

x86 Assembly, Tails Search Assistant
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who didn't throw out their '386. It may be a 16 MHz machine running on DOS 6.22 but it was the first computer to test my site on and develop with. Oh yea, simple tables, Gray scale 640x480 in the browser (or choose 16 colors), It's got it made! :lol:

16. Irondude

Irondude

I need some doggone help! Banned
    Ok DAM IT. The Sonic CD I have has the Direct X folder in the cd, but it needs that dino thing. DAM. Well if I can get the dino.dll file thing can I play it then? Sorry guys, looks like I let yall down, sorry. =( The best thing for you guys to do is get a program called Virtual PC and ISO Windows 98, 95, or ME and make the Virtual PC program run off it. Makes it like having 2 computers on the same screen. It will proboly work then.

17. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Yeah, it does work that way, with the virtual PC thing.

18. Irondude

Irondude

I need some doggone help! Banned
    Anyone know where to download Virtual PC?

19. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Or, even better, anyone know where to download the Win98 ISO?

20. ClavierTekky

ClavierTekky

You can always download it off Bittorrent or MIRC channels...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.