don't click here

why does this happen with Tails?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Zycor, Jun 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zycor

Zycor

Unlike Sonic, I don't chuckle. Member
    Beats me.
    I go in to FBZ, Act 2, then to the boss 2, and this happens. Why do the flickies dissaper at the fight when you go there???

Attached Files:

2. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    because they're stupid?

3. Zycor

Zycor

Unlike Sonic, I don't chuckle. Member
    Beats me.
    lol your right!!! it was so simple... why did I make it so hard?

4. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    Because they're cowards.

5. Ted

Ted

The Original Forum Gay Member
    Note the clouds.. all ugly and stuff.

You were prolly using Debug right? I don't know but my guess is that you debugged them out somehow.. Anywayz. that is what the C button in Debug is for.. (I think it's C) :P

6. Couldn'tChooseAName

Couldn'tChooseAName

Pending Member
    You, my friend, are a turd.

7. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    [quote name='Couldn'tChooseAName' date='Jun 16 2004, 12:57 PM']You, my friend, are a turd.[/quote]
    Give him a chance, I was exactly like that...Not that I've changed mutch...

8. Trigahd

Trigahd

I am your gahd!! Member
    Somewhere in the skies
    Nothing worth mentioning
    DannyAndShadowtails, you seriously need to make better posts. At the rate you're going, you are probably not going to make it past the trial stage.
    But anyway, for your question, did you happen to use debug mode for that? I know you can go Super Tails by that time, but that glitch shouldn't occur unless you used debug mode, so did you use it?

9. NickW

NickW

He is right. The flickies do seem to dissapear when Robotnik enters the boss fight.

So, I conclude they were cowards and think Tails should do all the work himself. :lol:

Attached Files:

10. Bleeding Cut

Bleeding Cut

Dr. Knuckles Member
    Hey, give them a break! They always are beating up all the Badniks for Tails, so let Tails get off his lazy ass and fight Eggman himself! :P

11. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    That reminds me of something that happened in DragonBall. King Piccolo came down to fight Goku and claim the DragonBall, and Yajirobe, being the coward that he is, went and hid behind a tree while Goku had to fight Piccolo by himself.

12. Sky Shark

Sky Shark

Sonic 1 Rehash - I'm not saying its canned, I'm planning on some work on it this summer.
    I think its possible that when programming the flickies' load cue a person forgot to program the load cue into the boss area, I have used debug in boss area's in other Sonic games and tiles featured in other non-boss arena areas in the same act have not been displayed properly in the boss area, this leads me to think that the boss area has a separate load cue in which the programmer forgot to add the flicky load cue. This could have been overlooked seeing as they were probably preoccupied on making the lock-on feature to work properly.

13. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    The lock-on "feature" is hardware-implemented and easier than falling off a log.

It's probably just a case of the flickie graphics in VRAM being overwritten. A little investigation should prove or disprove.

14. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    If the flicky graphics in VRAM were overwritten, wouldn't the Flickies be corrupted sprites like the debug clouds? I'm sure they wouldn't disappear, unless the area of ROM they are read from suddenly didn't exist.

Ever tried pulling out the Sonic 3 cart while playing S&K as Sonic & Tails or Tails alone? Tails suddenly becomes invisible (you can't see his sprites, but he still affects things around him). This is because the area of the expanded ROM where Tails' sprites are stored suddenly doesn't exist, and the game can therefore load no sprites for him.
    This can crash the game if you do it on the real cart, but take a savestate from S3&K, rename it to a S&K savestate and reload it to get the same effect.

Regarding the Flickies, if the flickies are simply disappearing abruptly, they're probably there but invisible (see above). One way of finding out is to get Tails to stand away from the boss, and see if the boss takes hits. If so, the flickies are there but invisible. If not, the flickies have gone away.

EDIT: I've just been playing S3&K (on the real MD), and have noticed:
    The flickies just disappear as soon as Tails enters the boss arena - no flying away or anything - just suddenly disappear.
    The flickies are not 'invisible', because they don't attack Eggman's machine when Tails stands above it.
    Therefore:
    Not VRAM being overwritten, and I don't think it's a bug as such because the playtesters would have noticed. I think the MD doesn't have enough RAM or processing power to cope with both the flickies and the complex Eggman machine. Therefore, the flickies are disabled for that boss fight. Would you rather the game slowed down? :P

15. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I was assuming the area which overwrote the Flickies was blank.

Anyway, yes. Then I can complain in high-pitched voices to Epicenter so he'll give me an overlcocked MD. :P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.