don't click here

Why does everyone blame everything on SAMMY?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by LightSpeedBlast, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    While Sega is still making games, I think you can call them more than a glorified publisher =P

2. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    It's not like Sega was doing this amazing job at making incredible games or anything before the Sammy Merger. Even before Sonic Heroes, I remember seeing and partaking in frequent arguments that Sonic Adventure 2 was a step down from the original Sonic Adventure. Sonic Heroes would've most likely happened with or without Sammy.

To be honest, I've never seen anybody blame Sammy, at least not in the corners of the Sonic Community I lurk around.

3. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Iizuka is responsible for screwing up Sonic. Sammy ruined everything else Sega had going for it, though.

And yes Adventure 2 is a massive step down from Adventure 1.

4. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    My question is whose higher-ups apparently decided to put Sonic 06's developers under their strained conditions and decide partway through development to swap the system Journey of Dreams was being developed on to less powerful hardware without changing budget or deadline. Did that start with SAMMY, or was it an SOJ-only affair? If Iizuka was mad about the situation, I don't blame him. Those decisions seem incredibly boneheaded.

Putting aside whatever problems you may have with the creative direction, wouldn't it have been nice to at least be able to play Sonic 06 and Journey of Dreams and feel like they were truly finished products?

5. Phos

Phos

My major complaints with Journey of Dreams were there from day 1.

E: and from what hackers have unearthed, the stuff they cut would have only made the game worse.

6. synchronizer

synchronizer

What are these unearthed things that would have made the game worse?

7. Phos

Phos

8. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    For everyone who didn't consider it a massive step up from Adventure 1 anyway. Regardless, it continued the move away from the traditional style, which I guess is why people like to hate it. Isn't like Sonic Adventure didn't start the fire though.

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Well, if Windy Valley has the most notable existence of that style of level design in Sonic Adventure, it could certainly be linked as far back as Sonic 3D Blast's special stage design.

10. FlashTHD

FlashTHD

Oldbie
    Sure, if you're a complete f'ing nutcase and are desperate to find anything to complain about.

11. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    You can't if you are a cynical bastard like myself.

12. Shadix

Shadix

Oldbie
    The amount of blatant trolling in this thread is astonishing.

IIRC Sammy was more interested in SEGAs arcade offerings than home console developments so they reorganized resources to focus on that.

13. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Distaste for something != trolling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.